Obesity a disease?

Options
Colliex3
Colliex3 Posts: 328 Member
So it's being said that obesity is being classified as a disease now. There are a lot of opinions about this going around some leaning more towards the nasty side. Do you believe it should be classified as a disease or as some people say "it's just people that can't get control or are too lazy". What's your opinion?

Replies

• betterthanbefpre
    betterthanbefpre Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...well I think there are always exceptions for the rule but moreover what I have witnessed in my life is that it's personal decisions that get you that way. ie...eating poorly and not exercising leads you to obesity and therefore can limit your life and bring on disease.
  • 6spdeg
    6spdeg Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    well coming from that point like many others.. Most are lazy unless some medical issue.

Is laziness a disease?
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Obesity can be *caused* by certain diseases, however, I don't believe it to be a disease in and of itself. The definition of "disease" is so loose, though, that just about anything could be classified as a disease.

I *get* that this could be helpful for a lot of people, enabling them to get medical treatment that wouldn't have necessarily been covered previously... However, I also see it as something that is going to cause insurance rates to increase overall (for everyone) as a result. As if the fact that they're going to skyrocket next year ANYWAY wasn't enough, now we have this.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Obesity IS a disease , I personally know someone that suffers from it and its a legit disorder just like anorexia. To say that a 500pound person is like that because they selfish and lazy is just illogical.
    Do lots of research and make up your own mind .
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    well coming from that point like many others.. Most are lazy unless some medical issue.

Is laziness a disease?

Yes. Not all diseases are caused from a virus or bacteria but are in fact caused by inactivity. The two big ones are heart disease and diabetes type 2. Heart disease literally has the word disease in it so it's hard to argue with that. Liver disease can also be attributed to laziness and not a parasites, virus, or bacteria.

• 6spdeg
    Options
    so is inactivity not a choice??

if not a medical reason for not moving.

they say it affects 1 in 3 americans.. wonder if this is the most widely spread disease ever.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    so is inactivity not a choice??

if not a medical reason for not moving.

Don't know what you mean. You could "choose" to have unprotected sex and get HIV just as some could choose to be inactive and get heart disease or something not associated with a virus, bacteria, or parasite.

• 6spdeg
    Options
    this is not something that is contracted or stays dormant in your body til activated etc.. this is in a simple term brought on by being lazy.

so laziness = condom :)
  • BananaFaceFace
    BananaFaceFace Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Obesity IS a disease , I personally know someone that suffers from it and its a legit disorder just like anorexia. To say that a 500pound person is like that because they selfish and lazy is just illogical.
    Do lots of research and make up your own mind .

I agree with this 100%
  • jigr69
    jigr69 Posts: 10
    Options
    From the people I know who are obese, it is all through choices that they've made, not down to some illness. It is the lack of self control that is the issue.

I watched a documentary about humans which talked about evolution of humans and Professor Robert Winston had a 300 meter string between two posts and then put the tip of his pencil at one end. He said that the tip represented the amount of time in evolution that food was plentiful. He stated that it is human nature to eat as much as possible when it was available as evolution taught us that we'd never know when the next meal was going to come. Most mammals are no different (hence fat cats and dogs etc).

It is self control and being aware of whats good for your health and what isn't, obesity is not a disease!
  • maab12
    maab12 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Im not sure if Obesity is really a disease. I'm Morbid Obese and I just think its because I'm lazy and I just don't want to control My eating habits.
    However there is something that is classified as an eating disorder and its called binging. I am one of those people It happens and a lot of time you just cant stop yourself and before you realize it you a eat 20 times the amount you should. don't jump down my throat and tell me its all self control.
    Having taken abnormal psychology in college as well as a few other courses just like bulimia and anorexia is a eating disorder so is binging.
    to tell you the truth there is a difference between stuffing my face and binging when I stuff my face I know exactly what I am doing and I don't care. when I binge I just don't know what happened until its over and the guilt resentment the I cant do it sets in. which leads up to more eating. I haven't done it in a while.

but obesity in of itself No I cant see it being a disease. there are ways to control and help fix it with out tagging on the excuse its a disease so I don't have to deal with it.
  • 6spdeg
    Options
    From the people I know who are obese, it is all through choices that they've made, not down to some illness. It is the lack of self control that is the issue.

I watched a documentary about humans which talked about evolution of humans and Professor Robert Winston had a 300 meter string between two posts and then put the tip of his pencil at one end. He said that the tip represented the amount of time in evolution that food was plentiful. He stated that it is human nature to eat as much as possible when it was available as evolution taught us that we'd never know when the next meal was going to come. Most mammals are no different (hence fat cats and dogs etc).

It is self control and being aware of whats good for your health and what isn't, obesity is not a disease!

well put
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    this is not something that is contracted or stays dormant in your body til activated etc.. this is in a simple term brought on by being lazy.

This is such an over-simplification of the topic. In many cases it's correct, but in many more, it couldn't be further from the truth. There are many people who battle obesity & are active, but cannot simply increase their activity level due to other factors, such as injury, illness or genetics.

It's like saying alcoholism isn't a disease, it's a choice.
  • Tiffa0909
    Tiffa0909 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I think Obesity is a eating disorder , is just two different extremes.
  • 6spdeg
    Options

This is such an over-simplification of the topic. In many cases it's correct, but in many more, it couldn't be further from the truth. There are many people who battle obesity & are active, but cannot simply increase their activity level due to other factors, such as injury, illness or genetics.

It's like saying alcoholism isn't a disease, it's a choice.

so alcohol = laziness

i did state other than possible medical issues

however there really isnt much out there that cant be considered a disease. SO yea practically anything can be called a disease. technically.
    A disease is an abnormal condition that affects the body of an organism. It is often construed as a medical condition associated with specific symptoms and signs.[1] It may be caused by factors originally from an external source, such as infectious disease, or it may be caused by internal dysfunctions, such as autoimmune diseases. In humans, "disease" is often used more broadly to refer to any condition that causes pain, dysfunction, distress, social problems, or death to the person afflicted, or similar problems for those in contact with the person. In this broader sense, it sometimes includes injuries, disabilities, disorders, syndromes, infections, isolated symptoms, deviant behaviors, and atypical variations of structure and function, while in other contexts and for other purposes these may be considered distinguishable categories. Diseases usually affect people not only physically, but also emotionally, as contracting and living with many diseases can alter one's perspective on life, and their personality.
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    So now thats its labeled as a disease, will weight loss supplements be covered by Obamacare??
  • debbash68
    debbash68 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Although a lot of issues re obesity are down to the individual, eg genetics, diet when young, behaviours, it still isn't as simple as that!
    It also is seen, in general, as the poverty diet. That is it may be seen as choice but sometimes people choose over processed easy, cheap foods, as they cant really afford fresh foods every daySo perhaps the food producers also have,some responsibility. Also everything is super sized so some cultural issues which need addressing, so again if these are on offer people will take it, but this has the knock on effect of shifting the norm for portion size. Just some thoughts!
  • 6spdeg
    Options
    Before the voice vote, Dr. Virginia Hall, an obstetrician from Hershey, Pa., said the AMA should call obesity a disease so "insurers can stop ducking their responsibility" in paying for obesity treatments, according to a Forbes report by Bruce Japsen.
  • debbash68
    debbash68 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    So now thats its labeled as a disease, will weight loss supplements be covered by Obamacare??
    They are covered in uk by nhs as is gastric surgery as it is thought the benefits of the surgery cost outweigh the cost of long term illnesses associated with obesity
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I believe that at times people hide behind the easy way out - obesity IMO is an epidemic not a disease. That said, there are people who have more difficulties in maintaining a healthy weight due to other medical problems. I try not to judge.