Butter in your coffee?

Replies

• Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    http://www.bulletproofexec.com/coffee/

Scroll down. You'll see "Coffee Is Better With (Grass-Fed) Butter"

I think it's more of primal/paleo thing.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    it's good. think about it, good coffee (to me) has milk in it. milk is a fat. butter is a fat. but you will put less butter in it than you would milk.

blend it up, it becomes very frothy and yummy.

eating fat doesn't make you fat!
  • my nephew is way to thin, he was always told to go home after school and eat a bowl of icecream! And he drank boost. Still to thin, but a grown man now.
  • Livdoesketo
    Livdoesketo Posts: 38 Member
    I've never heard of this IRL, but I think I remember an episode of The Big Bang Theory where they drink hot drinks with a stick of butter in to prepare for a trip to the north pole.

Also another thing I didn't know of IRL is deep fried mars bars, I thought they were a myth until the fish and chip shop in the village started doing them

you should try deep fried snickers, actually don't, I doubt there is an eating plan on MFP that could accommodate that!
  • LPJackson76
    LPJackson76 Posts: 67 Member
    While your pediatrician is right, your toddler shouldn't be drinking coffee.

LOL!!!

Hey, sometimes kids need coffee too!

1699622_o.gif#sleepy%20baby%20gifs

"I'm not sleepy mommy...I swear..."
  • Livdoesketo
    Livdoesketo Posts: 38 Member

eating fat doesn't make you fat!

^^^ this
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    I read that last night and cant imagine it tasting good, I only had salted butter so couldn't try it this morning or I would of been game lol.:drinker:
  • Lovdiamnd
    Lovdiamnd Posts: 624 Member
    :laugh:
    How do you even spread it???
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    It's a thing. I like that everybody who is going "eewwww, gross, nasty, ew ew ew!" hasn't tried it. If you don't like cream in your coffee you're excused, but if you do, it's really not different, taste-wise. (Have done it in snowstorms and other out-of-milk emergency moments. Also coconut oil, which is kind of better.)

Oddly enough, I found this thread and an article about it at the same time, so here you go: http://consumerist.com/2013/06/19/newsflash-new-butter-coffee-trend-might-not-promote-weight-loss-gasp/
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    I've never tried it because I prefer to put cream in my coffee but I can see how it would add a shot of satiety to someone's breakfast being high in fat. I probably won't try it because I'm on an iced coffee kick anyways and that could get chunky lol. I have no issues with butter though, it doesn't make you fat or give you a 'spare tire' like the op suggests. I put it on all my veggies and fry my eggs in it most mornings and my weight loss has been steady.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    It will help with the evacuation that comes with morning coffee....
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    This might be the solution to the awful taste of Folgers.
    Wrong. There is no solution to the awful taste of Folgers
    Truth! I tried it once and it tasted like *kitten*. Newman's Own French Roast FTW!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    From what I heard, the whole butter-in-coffee thing comes from

Comes from what?!? The suspense is killing me!

The idea actually came from the Yak butter tea Evengi posted about. I haven't tried butter in my coffee but I have done the coconut oil, I like it.
    The bulletproof coffee (grassfed butter and coconut oil) is a primal thing. Paleo doesn't include dairy, although some people use clarified butter, which separates the dairy from the fat and use the fat only. Just depends on how strict paleo they are.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Sounds delicious! I put heavy cream or coconut oil in my coffee all the time. I've got to try this!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I've seen posts on MFP about doing it, mostly from those that follow the Paleo Diet, which is high fat. I guess it's just a way to get more fat in the diet. Sounds disgusting to me.

Butter in the Paleo diet?? That doesn't sound right. Cavemen didn't have butter. :huh:

They use clarified butter. Or coconut oil. Apparently cavemen had both of those things. And coffee. Hard to get your a** of the cave without a stiff cup of joe. :wink:
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    I've seen posts on MFP about doing it, mostly from those that follow the Paleo Diet, which is high fat. I guess it's just a way to get more fat in the diet. Sounds disgusting to me.

Butter in the Paleo diet?? That doesn't sound right. Cavemen didn't have butter. :huh:

They use clarified butter. Or coconut oil. Apparently cavemen had both of those things. And coffee. Hard to get your a** of the cave without a stiff cup of joe. :wink:

The archeological record supports this:

Mugs_Flintstones_Yabba-Dabba-Doo_Coffee_Mug.jpg
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    From what I heard, the whole butter-in-coffee thing comes from

Comes from what?!? The suspense is killing me!

The idea actually came from the Yak butter tea Evengi posted about. I haven't tried butter in my coffee but I have done the coconut oil, I like it.
    The bulletproof coffee (grassfed butter and coconut oil) is a primal thing. Paleo doesn't include dairy, although some people use clarified butter, which separates the dairy from the fat and use the fat only. Just depends on how strict paleo they are.

Well, yak butter tea is extremely good at delivering needed calories in the Himalayas during winter. We drank a lot of it (still dislike the musky taste) and lost weight simply because we were walking 7-12 hrs a day through ice and rubble. But it is more like a soup than actual tea. I imagine that coffee with the equivalent amount of butter would be quite thick.

Here is what yak butter tea looked like:

yak_butter_tea.jpg
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Im tempted to go and try this when i get home !
  • M00NPYE
    M00NPYE Posts: 193 Member
    ugh.. yak butter tea looks horrid. But I'm intrigued, I do want to try this coffee with butter now, my husband will think I've lost my mind! :laugh: Where do you buy this grass fed/clarified butter or coconut oil? how much do you put in it, and why blend in a blender, seems like a hassle?