Washing hair constantly?

Options
13»

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    ScreeField wrote: »
    I am also a co-washer (just conditioner). I started using a suave naturals (coconut) conditioner based on rec's and haven't changed since. I also mostly air dry wirh a little initial blow drying and am picky about styling products. My hairdresser found a great wash & wear cut for my chin-length curly bob. About 1x per week I use a mild shampoo.
    Same! I have lots of hair and I sweat a lot when I work out.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    For those of you who don't wash your hair frequently ... doesn't it go flat and stringy?

When I shampoo my hair, it goes all fluffy and looks good. Lots of body, a bit of curl, and clean-looking.

When I don't shampoo my hair for a couple days, it goes flat, limp, stringy ... and I have to wear it in a braid or pony-tail to try to hide it.

When I accidentally use conditioner to wash my hair, or if I just rinse it in water, it looks like someone poured a bucket of fat from a deep fryer over my head. It's really awful.

Nah not at all. It would take well over a week of not shampooing to make my hair look limp or oily.
    I hate how it looks after I've shampooed. It goes really fluffy and buoffonty and is much harder to style

• NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    For those of you who don't wash your hair frequently ... doesn't it go flat and stringy?

When I shampoo my hair, it goes all fluffy and looks good. Lots of body, a bit of curl, and clean-looking.

When I don't shampoo my hair for a couple days, it goes flat, limp, stringy ... and I have to wear it in a braid or pony-tail to try to hide it.

When I accidentally use conditioner to wash my hair, or if I just rinse it in water, it looks like someone poured a bucket of fat from a deep fryer over my head. It's really awful.

Nope. It takes a long time for it to go flat and stringy, like almost 2 weeks of no shampoo. My hair will feel stringy if I use styling products or heat. It actually loves conditioner. Right now I'm using a gentle moisturizing shampoo and conditioner and then a leave in conditioner and a serum/oil. Right now I'm approaching the end of the first week and didn't wash my hair because I have a wedding to go to and plan on doing a half updo. I'll probably need hairspray and dry shampoo to dirty up my hair more for styling.

I might suggest looking at your shampoo and conditioner. I get the flat and stringy feeling if I use stuff that is too harsh for my hair or is full of silicones. I mean, every once in a while it's fine, but I can't get through a bottle of certain shampoos and conditioners. The last stuff I tried was the L'oreal Triple Resist and I was washing my hair at least twice a week and my hair felt awful.
  • Becca_250
    Becca_250 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    LOL, I have no qualms about going places with wet hair either.

Mine is so straight. I went to get my hair done for photos. The hairdresser planned to curl it and was going to ask me if my hair would hold a curl. It was really humid out and she said she didn't even have to ask. She could tell how straight my hair was because it was straight, even in the humidity.

Yeah this is basically my hair, only a couple of hairdressers have attempted to curl my hair but all have failed! It looks amazing for of about three minutes then the curl just drops out!
  • areumdawn
    areumdawn Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Cleansing conditioner! The L'Oreal ever creme one is the most popular of the drugstore brands if you wanna give it a go.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Read the labels and use cool water. L'Oreal professional sulfate free shampoo for colored hair is what I use.
  • ellarishee
    ellarishee Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I also have this problem. I workout 6 x time a week and always get so sweaty, it's impossible to not have to wash out my hair.

I wash my hair 'fully' only once a week, every other day that I need to wash it I rub just a bit baby shampoo in to my scalp, and some conditioner in to the ends. I've just accepted it's one of those things when it comes to exercising regularly!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,037 Member
    Options

Nah not at all. It would take well over a week of not shampooing to make my hair look limp or oily.
    I hate how it looks after I've shampooed. It goes really fluffy and buoffonty and is much harder to style

Nope. It takes a long time for it to go flat and stringy, like almost 2 weeks of no shampoo. My hair will feel stringy if I use styling products or heat. It actually loves conditioner. Right now I'm using a gentle moisturizing shampoo and conditioner and then a leave in conditioner and a serum/oil. Right now I'm approaching the end of the first week and didn't wash my hair because I have a wedding to go to and plan on doing a half updo. I'll probably need hairspray and dry shampoo to dirty up my hair more for styling.

I might suggest looking at your shampoo and conditioner. I get the flat and stringy feeling if I use stuff that is too harsh for my hair or is full of silicones. I mean, every once in a while it's fine, but I can't get through a bottle of certain shampoos and conditioners. The last stuff I tried was the L'oreal Triple Resist and I was washing my hair at least twice a week and my hair felt awful.

By the end of the day my hair is already starting to go sort of yuck. Like right now ... it's midnight and it has lost most of it's fluffiness. I don't plan to wash it tomorrow (Saturday) and it will do for a day when I'm not going anywhere or associating with people. But if I were going out or something I'd want to wash it.

I have tried various shampoos ... anything with moisturiser in it is a disaster. My hair doesn't even attain any sort of fluffiness at all. It's limp and greasy and stringy all day.

But then ... I'm the same way with skin moisturisers too. Cannot stand them. If I put a lotion or something on my hands like I see other women do, my hands go all slimy and horrible-feeling and I have to wash it off.

Maybe it's just a genetic skin/hair thing.

• caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Have you tried no poo? Mixed a tablespoon of baking soda with your bath water. Use it as shampoo. It cleans your hair but dried my scalp so much that I stopped using it.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

By the end of the day my hair is already starting to go sort of yuck. Like right now ... it's midnight and it has lost most of it's fluffiness. I don't plan to wash it tomorrow (Saturday) and it will do for a day when I'm not going anywhere or associating with people. But if I were going out or something I'd want to wash it.

I have tried various shampoos ... anything with moisturiser in it is a disaster. My hair doesn't even attain any sort of fluffiness at all. It's limp and greasy and stringy all day.

But then ... I'm the same way with skin moisturisers too. Cannot stand them. If I put a lotion or something on my hands like I see other women do, my hands go all slimy and horrible-feeling and I have to wash it off.

Maybe it's just a genetic skin/hair thing.

It sounds like you have hair similar to mine. The more you wash it, the more oil you produce. If I wash every day, I get to the point where my hair is greasy by the end of the day. What really helped me was finding a balancing shampoo and stretching out washing my hair to at least every second day. But to do that, you have to do it consistently over a stretch of time which means going consistently going a couple of days without washing. It's really hard to do because most of us aren't able to hide greasy hair or avoid people.
    I got to the point I could stretch 2 days at most but by the end it would need to be washed.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I wash my hair with conditioner every other day or so. Sometimes in 24 hrs I'll have to shower 3 times. no way I'm putting that much product on it. Say Tuesday- dance Tuesday night- run Wednesday morning lift Wednesday night then run Thursday morning. I need a shower obviously.

I just rinse it Tuesday night- rinse it Wed after my run- and rinse- Thursday I run then wash with conditioner. I don't use shampoo- haven't for many years.

I think I own a hair dryer- I never use it. I just towel dry- and then after 10-15 minutes put it up in a bun.

Ultimately you don't NEED shampoo the way they market it to you- rinsing is good enough most of the week- the scalp only needs any sort of cleanser once a week maybe- I use baking soda for the scalp then apple cider vinegar to tone the hair.

Easy peasy. No way Id' be washing and drying with a blow dryer 5 times a week. hell no. Aint no on got time for dat.
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    When my hair was down past my bottom, I only washed it about twice a week (or less) and left it to air dry. I'd just pin it up and shower on the other days, getting a little extra rinsing water into the hairline when I washed my face. I still only wash it about every third day and leave it to air dry.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I wash every 3 days and don't change that up based on my workout schedule or how much I sweat. Even when my scalp and hair get really sweaty, it dries (or I dry it) and I have never found that it's gross or smells, even though I would never not shower the rest of my body. My hair is thick and dry and if I washed it every day it would be a fried frizzy mess.
  • ScreeField
    ScreeField Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Here's the key to avoiding the "greasy" hair feeling:

If you use conditioner instead of shampoo, you have to avoid products that contain silicone (any ingredient with a name that ends in: cone, conol, col, or xane). MANY styling products have silicones and lots of conditioners have silicons as well (especially deep treatments or heavy conditioners). Conditioner usually won't wash silicone out of your hair. Therefore by using products with silicone and washing with conditioner, the silicon will build up and make hair feel greasy.

Conditioners usually do contain Sulfectants. Sulfectants act similar to detergents and contain both water-soluble and oil-soluble agents. This means conditioner will wash out natural oils, but not silicone.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I wash every day with shampoo and let it hair dry. It's really not an issue in the Summer but in Winter, yeah, it can suck.

I sweat a LOT though and just can't imagine not washing it after a workout.
  • pinkgumdrop123
    pinkgumdrop123 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I have to wash my haif after a workout.. I sweat a ton during my workouts and if gets all gross if I don't. When I don't work out I usually wash it every other day.