Having a hard time.

ANT98
ANT98 Posts: 137 Member
edited August 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
So I know the idea is that you need to eat less, move more to lose weight, but eating any less than 1500 calories feels horrible. I've been trying to lose weight for such a long time without much success. Averaging out to 1500-1600 calories a week (yes, weighing everything, as accurately as I can get), exercising consistently, a 600-700 calorie deficit, I've only managed to lose 3lbs in last 2 months. There's not much more muscle definition, I can feel my muscles underneath a bunch of flab though (just waiting to melt off haha). I feel like this is super slow and I still have 15-20lbs to lose. I feel like eating at maintanence for a month or so, then starting this cut all over again. I don't know. Am I going about losing weight wrong? Advice?
151lb, 18yrs, female, 5'5", 28-29% body fat.

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    What are you doing for exercise?
    If you are tight on your intake, it may be that you are overestimating your exercise burn.

Cheers, h.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    What are you doing that is logging 6-700 in exercise ? That's a huge burn and very doubtful
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    alexxazt wrote: »
    So I know the idea is that you need to eat less, move more to lose weight, but eating any less than 1500 calories feels horrible. I've been trying to lose weight for such a long time without much success. Averaging out to 1500-1600 calories a week (yes, weighing everything, as accurately as I can get), exercising consistently, a 600-700 calorie deficit, I've only managed to lose 3lbs in last 2 months. There's not much more muscle definition, I can feel my muscles underneath a bunch of flab though (just waiting to melt off haha). I feel like this is super slow and I still have 15-20lbs to lose. I feel like eating at maintanence for a month or so, then starting this cut all over again. I don't know. Am I going about losing weight wrong? Advice?
    151lb, 18yrs, female, 5'5", 28-29% body fat.

You have lost 3 lbs in 2 months. You ARE eating more or less at maintenance. Either something is off with your logging or your burns are VERY overestimated.
    What are you eating? feeling hungry might be caused by the types of food you eat, if e.g. you are going for calorie dense choices that leave you with small portions to match your goals.
  • Natalierae886
    Natalierae886 Posts: 286 Member
    Are you eating your callories back? That could be the problem
  • ryanflebbe
    ryanflebbe Posts: 188 Member
    1500-1600 a week or day? I assume day. How much have you lost total? Is the three pounds it or has it just slowed to that rate in the last two months? Have you been consistently at 1500-1600 for months with no break? What do you do for exercise? I ask because I think people follow this app too closely without adjusting for how they are actually responding in the real world. People react to doet and exercise very differently and for some the recommendations, goals, etc. could be very inaccurate. You either need to eat less or eat slightly more and give your body a break and a chance to raise your resting metabolism.
  • whiteblossom14
    whiteblossom14 Posts: 240 Member
    Hi I did the same thing when I started trying to lose weight over a year ago now. It was without this app but I was going to the gym nearly 5 days a week doing a hour each time. But my weight just stayed the same. Keep with it you will get there. Try not to eat your extra calories you burn. But if you have to it's ok. Fat does not turn into muscle it comes out in oxygen and when you go to the toilet. Keep at it Hun we are all behind you. Xx
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 649 Member
    One great blueprint for success is to find someone who has success at staying thin and do what they do. My observation is that has a lot to do with overall activity level . Walking the dog, doing chores, walking instead of driving.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Are you weighing your food?
  • ANT98
    ryanflebbe wrote: »
    1500-1600 a week or day? I assume day. How much have you lost total? Is the three pounds it or has it just slowed to that rate in the last two months? Have you been consistently at 1500-1600 for months with no break? What do you do for exercise? I ask because I think people follow this app too closely without adjusting for how they are actually responding in the real world. People react to doet and exercise very differently and for some the recommendations, goals, etc. could be very inaccurate. You either need to eat less or eat slightly more and give your body a break and a chance to raise your resting metabolism.

1500-1600 daily, that averages in that range for average weekly calories. I've lost 6lbs total from January, but it seems so dang slow haha! It's been 2 months at this deficit, and the 600-700 calorie deficit is from a total tdee of 2100-2200, minus calories from food. I do P90x3 workouts.
  • ryanflebbe
    Keep exercising the same, and simply eat less calories. If I understand correctly, you are actually eating 2100-2200 calories daily? It doesn't even really matter, to get the scale moving, take whatever amount of calories you actually eat in a day, not net calories from some formula, and subtract 300. Eat that, and try to eat more protein amd more fiber and less fat. Fat is calorie dense amd not always as filling. You are basically maintaining, prpbably with a little fat loss amd a little muscle gain going on at the same time from the workouts. If you keep up rhe workouts, and drop a bunch of calories, you will lose weight at a good rate. If you feel a little *kitten* with less calories, try to stick with it long enough to let your body adjust. Good luck.
  • ryanflebbe
    ****** crappy
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    You are probably eating too much, or not weighing and measuring all of your food correctly.

The 600-700 cal burn is probably too high for your routine.

Try switching from TDEE to MFP's NEAT method, with a goal of 1lb a week loss.

Eating back 75% of your calorie burn from your P90x3 burn.

If you stil aren't losing drop your feed back to 50%.

You don't have a lot to lose so a loss of .5- 1 lb a week is what you should be aiming for, it will also give you the most calories to eat.

Weigh and measure everything.

Tight logging and eating below your expenditure is what will work. It can just take time to find the numbers that work for you.

Cheers, h.
  • ANT98
    Keep exercising the same, and simply eat less calories. If I understand correctly, you are actually eating 2100-2200 calories daily? It doesn't even really matter, to get the scale moving, take whatever amount of calories you actually eat in a day, not net calories from some formula, and subtract 300. Eat that, and try to eat more protein amd more fiber and less fat. Fat is calorie dense amd not always as filling. You are basically maintaining, prpbably with a little fat loss amd a little muscle gain going on at the same time from the workouts. If you keep up rhe workouts, and drop a bunch of calories, you will lose weight at a good rate. If you feel a little *kitten* with less calories, try to stick with it long enough to let your body adjust. Good luck.

Ik you just said not to rely on calculators, but they say my sedentary calories are at 1650-1800 and I add on the calorie burn from workouts as 350. That gives me a total of 2100-2200 tdee. I only eat 1500 calories though.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    edited August 2015
    Here is what I see based on the numbers you gave and assuming you are working out a good 4-6 hours a week. I would suggest heavy lifting. This is a starting point and if you can't lose on this you simply need to cut back. I would pull back on my carbs first.

150 grams protein 600 calories
    150 grams carbs 600 calories
    37 grams fats 333 calories

Check out this article and see if it shines some light on things..

http://www.muscleforlife.com/build-muscle-lose-fat/

• ryanflebbe
    I guess maybe I don't know these terms, like tdee. Anyway, it seems you ARE only eating 1500 calories or so a day. I'm a little stumped. I am not intimately familiar with p90x3, but I've watched the original p90x videos and watched people do them/try to do them. They are very demanding. It's obviously not working though. You are losing a little, which is good, but I agree it is very slow. I'm inclined to agree with Casper. You might even want to add a few calories for a short period to try and get your metabolism higher, if it has slowed a lot from dieting and demanding metabolic workouts. Just a couple hundred calories, and not for a lomg time, and keep exercising hard, and watch the scale and mirror to make sure you aren't putting it back on, plus more. That can definitely happen. Then switch back to the 1500. Switch from P90x3 to a basic heavy progressive resistance weight lifting program. Add in low-mid intensity cardio after lifting, or on days off from lifting, or high intensity cardio/metabolic conditioning/high energy sports, for short intense bursts on days off from lifting.
  • ANT98
    I guess maybe I don't know these terms, like tdee. Anyway, it seems you ARE only eating 1500 calories or so a day. I'm a little stumped. I am not intimately familiar with p90x3, but I've watched the original p90x videos and watched people do them/try to do them. They are very demanding. It's obviously not working though. You are losing a little, which is good, but I agree it is very slow. I'm inclined to agree with Casper. You might even want to add a few calories for a short period to try and get your metabolism higher, if it has slowed a lot from dieting and demanding metabolic workouts. Just a couple hundred calories, and not for a lomg time, and keep exercising hard, and watch the scale and mirror to make sure you aren't putting it back on, plus more. That can definitely happen. Then switch back to the 1500. Switch from P90x3 to a basic heavy progressive resistance weight lifting program. Add in low-mid intensity cardio after lifting, or on days off from lifting, or high intensity cardio/metabolic conditioning/high energy sports, for short intense bursts on days off from lifting.

Thank you! This helps a lot :)
  • ryanflebbe
    Break down what you eat a little. How much of your calories come from fat, carbs, and protein? What kind of carbs and fats? Are you counting all calories? Liquid calories like soft drinks or twenty packets of sugar and liberal use of creamer in 10 cups of coffee a day, alcoholic beverages (which obviously you are not old enough for, but didn't stop the girls I've seen drink excessively in their teen years), etc.? Are you counting condiments on food, sauces, etc., of significant ammounts?
  • ANT98
    Break down what you eat a little. How much of your calories come from fat, carbs, and protein? What kind of carbs and fats? Are you counting all calories? Liquid calories like soft drinks or twenty packets of sugar and liberal use of creamer in 10 cups of coffee a day, alcoholic beverages (which obviously you are not old enough for, but didn't stop the girls I've seen drink excessively in their teen years), etc.? Are you counting condiments on food, sauces, etc., of significant ammounts?

600 calories protein: ham, chicken, tofu, Greek yogurt
    400(+100 vegetables+50 condiments)carbs: brown rice, sweet potato, fruits
    300 fat: peanut butter, almonds, avocado, cheese
    And yes, in my condiments
  • ANT98
    Someone said iifym works too, so if I want ice cream, I fit it into my macros. Do you think this is the culprit?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    alexxazt wrote: »

Ik you just said not to rely on calculators, but they say my sedentary calories are at 1650-1800 and I add on the calorie burn from workouts as 350. That gives me a total of 2100-2200 tdee. I only eat 1500 calories though.

But do you weigh your food?

I'm 20 years older than you and my TDEE is 2200 so I'm seriously confused, but either way, you're eating too much.