"Scientists confirms Paleo diet is nonsense" anyone else see this article?

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    robertf57 wrote: »
    So, I see that at least some of you don't understand the meaning of the word "essential" when applied to a nutrient.

An essential nutrient is a nutrient required for normal human body function that either cannot be synthesized by the body at all, or cannot be synthesized in amounts adequate for good health (e.g., niacin, choline), and thus must be obtained from a dietary source.[1]

"What is an essential nutrient?". NetBiochem Nutrition, University of Utah.

I see some people don't even remember what they said,

"Biologically, there is no essential need for carbohydrate."

Which is false.
  • earthnut
    earthnut Posts: 216 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I think it would be interesting to see more evidence uncovered around the diets of The ancients. I don't think this thing we call Paleo is even close.
    You could eat like a chimpanzee. blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/how-to-eat-like-a-chimpanzee/
    Wild%20Chimp%20Diet.jpg

Or you could eat like a hunter-gatherer. But which one? Human traditional diets range from nearly all meat (Inuit) to nearly vegetarian. The fact is, there is no "ideal diet". Although meat is much harder to gather than plants in most climates.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    In
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Huh. All we have of some of our oldest ancestors are a few bones and teeth. Let's clarify we can sex the creature from its bones and teeth, but we can't tell how much sex it had. Hip bones might tell us if she had children or not....

http://m.livescience.com/7497-teeth-offer-clues-human-diet-evolution.html

http://youtu.be/sloeS8Vx0hI
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    skysiebaby wrote: »
    SciBabe posted a link to the article this morning so thought I would share. Discuss.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2015/08/15/scientists-confirm-paleo-diet-nonsense

We've known it's nonsense for a long time.

Doesn't stop people from believing it.
  • Mr_Knight
    edited August 2015
    Options
    If leaving something out causes negative health outcomes, it fits the real world definition of "necessary".

A gestational ketogenic diet deleteriously affects maternal fertility and increases susceptibility to fatal ketoacidosis during lactation. Prenatal and early postnatal exposure to a ketogenic diet also results in significant alterations to neonatal brain structure, and results in retarded physiological growth. These alterations could be accompanied by functional and behavioural changes in later postnatal life.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4231349/

Yes, carbs are necessary for humans.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Semantics.... Does one really need to be so exact?

How about human adults do not need to eat carbohydrates in order to remain alive?
  • Acg67
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Semantics.... Does one really need to be so exact?

How about human adults do not need to eat carbohydrates in order to remain alive?

Semantics or typical logic fail shown by advocates of certain dietary regimes?

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Semantics.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Boy oh boy if infants need it for normal development it's not a big stretch that it's good for adults too.
  • Acg67
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Semantics.

Logic fail such as

"
    Carbohydrates are sugars, starches and fibre. Yes, glucose is a sugar, monosaccharide, and technically a type of carbohydrate, but saying our body needs carbohydrates is different than saying our body needs glucose"

Glucose is a carb, body needs glucose, body doesn't need carbs. Simple logic, but some people have issues with it.

• robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Boy oh boy if infants need it for normal development it's not a big stretch that it's good for adults too.

Except this study had nothing to do with humans. This was a study of mice who develop a condition known as ketoacidosis.

And I stand by my statement of no essential need for carbohydrate. As noted by SC, the operative word is essential as in essential nutrients. An attempt to isolate 2 words and then imply that I stated that there is no physiologic requirement for simple sugars in mammalian biochemistry is childish and the typical last resort for the intellectually bankrupt

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Except this study had nothing to do with humans. This was a study of mice who develop a condition known as ketoacidosis.

And I stand by my statement of no essential need for carbohydrate. As noted by SC, the operative word is essential as in essential nutrients. An attempt to isolate 2 words and then imply that I stated that there is no physiologic requirement for simple sugars in mammalian biochemistry is childish and the typical last resort for the intellectually bankrupt

People who insist carbs aren't essential (which is true under the definition of essential for food intake), usually talk as if that means eating carbs is somehow bad for you, when in fact an essential nutrient is nothing more or less than "what your body needs to properly function but can't create itself".
    I outlined why it is a good thing for our continued survival that carbs aren't an essential nutrient, cause you'd be dead within days if you stopped eating carbs if carbs were an essential nutrient, whereas the same doesn't happen with the nutrients that are essential.

In other words, carbs are not an essential nutrient because they're so essential (in the normal definition of the word) to you staying alive. Your body doesn't trust you to get the glucose it needs to survive so it evolved to make its own glucose, with blackjack and hookers.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    ...with blackjack and hookers.
    I'll build my own theme park
  • jgnatca
    Options

Because it would be unethical to harm human babies in a similar test. Ketoacidosis is a real thing with people...and mice.

My sister told me of a rise in developmental delays in infants in wealthy communities where the infants were mistakenly put on low-fat diets (low fat being the thing). This harmed their brain development.

• rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options

And straw mans are the last resort of the intellectually dishonest.
  • Mr_Knight
    edited August 2015
    Options

They've been done in humans, too.

You can "stand by" whatever you want - fact is ketosis causes poor health outcomes in our offspring. If that isn't enough to meet your definition of "necessary", then we are operating under vastly different definitions.
  • Acg67
    Options

Have you gotten around to posting all the evidence you said exists that carbs were not essential to the evolution of the human brain? Or are you still knocking down strawmen?
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Because it would be unethical to harm human babies in a similar test. Ketoacidosis is a real thing with people...and mice. You missed the point. Lower carbohydrate diets don't produce ketoacidosis in humans.

My sister told me of a rise in developmental delays in infants in wealthy communities where the infants were mistakenly put on low-fat diets (low fat being the thing). This harmed their brain development. No doubt. Linolenic and linoleic acid are essential fatty acid nutrients and can't be produced by the body. They only come from fats we eat.The brain is very lipid rich and a growing child needs sufficient calories and fats to develop
  • Mr_Knight
    edited August 2015
    Options

Because it would be unethical to harm human babies in a similar test. Ketoacidosis is a real thing with people...and mice.

You missed the point. Lower carbohydrate diets don't produce ketoacidosis in humans.
    My sister told me of a rise in developmental delays in infants in wealthy communities where the infants were mistakenly put on low-fat diets (low fat being the thing). This harmed their brain development. No doubt. Linolenic and linoleic acid are essential fatty acid nutrients and can't be produced by the body. They only come from fats we eat.The brain is very lipid rich and a growing child needs sufficient calories and fats to develop

No, I'm afraid you missed the point. Which is that "normal" ketosis in a pregnant woman often produces unintended ketoacidosis in the gestating fetus. But there's also a feedback loop that will shunt resources to the fetus to minimize this, and you can end up with ketoacidosis in both mother and child.