Any foods you've sworn off for life?

Options

Replies

• Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    There's lots of things that I don't eat anymore because i decided that they weren't worth the calories.

Regular soda -- Regulaf Dr. Pepper used to be a favorite of mine whenever I went out to eat, but after looking at how many calories were in that 20 oz soda, I decided that I would much rather have a diet Dr. Pepper and a cookie for dessert instead.

Snack Cakes -- I mean stuff like Hostess and Little Debbie and stuff. The Little Debbie dessert always used to be my favorite part of lunch when I was a kid, but it now realize that they aren't worth thier calories. For the "price" of a cosmic brownie (my old, all-time favorite) I could have a homemade brownie that is both bigger and tastes much better. I can also eat twice as many died figs for the same amount of calories in a fig newton.

Most kinds of candy -- mist of them just don't taste that good. Twix used to be a favorite of mine, but now I mostly stick to dark chocolate and hard candies that last in your mouth for a while. I've also come to love sugar-free gum instead of the sugared kind.

Most fried foods -- The cheap oils that most restaurants use bother my stomach. Also, when you share the same fryer for several different types of food, everything starts to look and taste kind of the same. It makes food boring.

Foods with partially hydrogenated oils -- this category is more general. Heart disease runs in my family, so I want to try to avoid these if at all possible since consumption of these has been linked to an increased danger of heart disease. I saw my grandfather slowly die of heart disease throughout my childhood. If at all possible, I want to prevent that from happening to myself.
  • sugarpeas
    sugarpeas Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Cheese Wiz. Oh my god is that stuff gross. Just... no.
    But I wouldn't say I swear it off because I like to try things just to see if I still hate it.
    Other than that nothing. I try to limit things such as soda, and didn't touch it for a few years... part of a new years resolution. Wanted to see if I could quit it for a year, that turned in to 3. Then I had one can... now I have it occasionally.

• iminthebandman
    iminthebandman Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    ScreeField wrote: »
    canned lima beans -- but not because of health. just can't stand them.
    yesimpson wrote: »
    Tequila. Multiple times.

Sambuca for me.

I've not sworn off anything, but I've no idea why anyone would want to eat poppadoms or edamame beans, so others are welcome to 'em.

• ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    The only foods I've sworn off are the ones I absolutely dislike or won't eat for ethical reasons.
    Dislike: vegetarian/vegan "lunchmeat". Just ew. Animal milk. Liver. Brains. Dried coconut. Water chestnuts.
    Ethical reasons: veal and foie gras
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Shakeology. Sworn off of that garbage forever.

Also whatever that green, wheat grass stuff that people juice and torture themselves for whatever reason. That ish is off limits for me.

Anything else (tasty) is fair game.
  • MollyJE19
    MollyJE19 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Vienna Sausages, because one day I was eating them while opening a can of cat food and realized they smelled the same.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    any and all organ meat...
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Fizzy Lifting Drinks: The one time I tried some (my grandpa swiped it), it gave me the most awful gas. And unfortunately, I got really high on that stuff and preceded to bump into things left and right. Got caught and was royally chewed out. Came close to losing my inheritance over the whole incident.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Lemon Meringue Pie
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    Nothing...except maybe Fromunda cheese.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    ARC1603 wrote: »
    Pretty much alcohol for me, mainly since I had kids. I just don't see the point in calories or feeling like I've been hit by a bus the next morning!

Definitely a personal choice but I have alcohol 4 or 5 days a week and it's been years since I've felt like I've been hit by a bus. Moderation is key. Studies suggest that alcohol of any kind can increase good cholesterol and reduce the risk of coronary heart disease, though that's not why I drink it. I just love the taste of beer & wine.

• khristiana
    khristiana Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I've sworn off of all animal products. No meat, dairy, eggs, cheese...
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Brussel sprouts,because my mama made me eat them as a child and I hated them. Beets for the same reason. Had to eat picked beets everyday for about 6 months
  • deannaaaaaaaaa
    deannaaaaaaaaa Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    escargot, grapefruit, oysters... blech xP
  • deannaaaaaaaaa
    deannaaaaaaaaa Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    peter56765 wrote: »
    Fizzy Lifting Drinks: The one time I tried some (my grandpa swiped it), it gave me the most awful gas. And unfortunately, I got really high on that stuff and preceded to bump into things left and right. Got caught and was royally chewed out. Came close to losing my inheritance over the whole incident.

lmfao
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    soda
  • faduma123
    faduma123 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Cake lol it's unnecessary and soooooooooooo much sugar
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    My mom makes the best barbacoa with beef tongue.

Chicken hearts are pretty tasty too.

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I've sworn off of pork b/c of personal reasons. I don't each much of a lot of things (fried foods, cake, etc.), I save them for special occasions and what not.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    My mom makes the best barbacoa with beef tongue.

Chicken hearts are pretty tasty too.

you have convinced me of nothing...