Low protein

Options
hey everyone! So I talked to a nutritionist today who told me she wants me to stay within 50-70 grams of protein a day in a 2750 calorie diet. I've been following myfitnesspal and logging 110 grams like it suggested for me. Just by logging my exekiel bread, oatmeal, and a few other of my staples, I'm well over my nutritionist's goal. Any suggestions on how I can reach my calorie goal while staying within my protein goal?

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Up your fats/carbs is the easy answer - but why does she want you to eat only 50-70? Is there a reason?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    you should be getting about .6 to . 8 grams of protein per pound of body weight.

what are your goals?

You may need to find a new nutritionist...
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Wow that's a really low protein goal she set for you! Did she say why ??
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    hey everyone! So I talked to a nutritionist today who told me she wants me to stay within 50-70 grams of protein a day in a 2750 calorie diet. I've been following myfitnesspal and logging 110 grams like it suggested for me. Just by logging my exekiel bread, oatmeal, and a few other of my staples, I'm well over my nutritionist's goal. Any suggestions on how I can reach my calorie goal while staying within my protein goal?

That doesn't sound right.
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    My guess is you will be eating sticks of butter to get to that amount...
  • neversummer589
    neversummer589 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    That sounds strict, must be for health reasons. Fats are 9 calories per gram.. Just go with healthy fats like nuts, avocados, (natural/no sugar) yogurts, milk, etc... Its hard because these healthy fats typically have proteins
  • tristamdavis
    tristamdavis Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Well I suffer from orthorexia which is an obsession with clean eating that has caused me to lose a great deal of weight due to not being able to eat out or find things that I am comfortable eating in certain situations. So I am currently 87 lbs but in order to gain, she has set me to 2,750 calories per day but without exceeding my protein astronomically, I cannot make the calories. Without any meat whatsoever, only from bread & oatmeal I exceed my protein goal.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Well I suffer from orthorexia which is an obsession with clean eating that has caused me to lose a great deal of weight due to not being able to eat out or find things that I am comfortable eating in certain situations. So I am currently 87 lbs but in order to gain, she has set me to 2,750 calories per day but without exceeding my protein astronomically, I cannot make the calories. Without any meat whatsoever, only from bread & oatmeal I exceed my protein goal.
    Apart from any work from a professional behavioral psychologist [or whatever], my advice is SUCK IT UP AND EAT!
    Exercise discipline, plan your meals and just eat.
    It's simple. Plan ahead, and again, just do it.

What may not be so simple are your food issues, and nobody here can help with that.

Good Luck
    :)

• 50andfabu
    50andfabu Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Having experience in the eating disorder area and having worked with counselors and nutritionists and having recovered (and gained weight but trying to lose weight the right way) it seems to me that your nutritionist has made a mistake by telling you to restrict a nutrient when you already have disordered and unhealthy thoughts about eating. You don't need more "rules" to follow. Could you ask her/him about that?

She may be trying to get you to eat more foods that you would normally avoid. All food can have a place in your life. Obviously for health reasons we minimize some foods and emphasize others, but there is nothing wrong with fast food or desserts now and again. I do know how difficult it is to reason with your thoughts but I wish you the best. Also, you are definitely able to get over this!
  • Shouliveshappy
    Shouliveshappy Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Just eat, dont think about calories and macros. You dont need it now. You literally have NOTHING TO LOSE and just eat!
  • ryanflebbe
    ryanflebbe Posts: 188 Member
    Options

I have never heard of that. I learned something new, cool. Is there a medical reason for the low protein? If not, you have to get it up. It's only 10% of your calories. Maybe your nutritionist meant 50-70 grams of quality, complete protein. You could only count things like eggs, meat, soy, etc. towards that 50-70. That wouldn't work with this app exactly, but you could eat your 2750, see how much of the protein it logs is from those complete sources and adjust a little to get it around 70. Realy though, try to ask the nutritionist what the reason for that is.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am not an expert in ED's, but I would struggle to understand why one would suggest a low protein diet, especially considering protein is the building block for our muscles and metabolic functions. Maybe ask your nutritionist to explain herself?

An easy way to get calories is eat peanut butter out of the jar (yes, I have done this), ice cream (I do this every night too, ha), avocado, red meats (especially fatty cuts), add cheese to a low of things, nuts and more.
  • adawson55510
    adawson55510 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Have you been eating 2750 for a while or is this just something he has ramped you up to?
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Your current weight 87lbs x 0.8 = 70g of protein which is standard.

The only thing I can suggest why you've been told not to eat too much protein is because of the high thermogenic effect it has. Protein uses 25% of its calories during digestion.

Carbs and fats are much lower, so you get more calories.

And at 87lbs you really don't want to lose any more due to too much protein.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Can you contact her and ask why the protein is so low? That protein number would be low even if you were trying to losing weight, I can certainly understand why you are struggling to eat those calories while not surpassing that little protein. If she has a good reason for the limit on protein, maybe she can give you a better idea of what she is trying to get you to eat instead?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    edited August 2015
    Options
    pbryd wrote: »
    Your current weight 87lbs x 0.8 = 70g of protein which is standard.

The only thing I can suggest why you've been told not to eat too much protein is because of the high thermogenic effect it has. Protein uses 25% of its calories during digestion.

Carbs and fats are much lower, so you get more calories.

And at 87lbs you really don't want to lose any more due to too much protein.

The difference in TEF for 30-40g of protein is going to be very minimal. We are only talking about an additional 120-160 calories, which equates to an additional 20-32 calories burned.

• MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    What was calorie intake before?
    Going to 2750 is gonna be a big jump.....

I would also say that more protein would be good.....
  • worldofalice
    worldofalice Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Is an obsession with having high protein a part of your orthorexia? It's something I struggle with, spending hours analysing the macros and only eating things that are high-protein, low-carb or whatever. So it could be that she's suggested that as a way of encouraging you to eat other foods and move away from the protein fixation? However I think it's a mistake to actively LIMIT your protein, I can't see why she would suggest that. More focus on other macros, perhaps, but eating more proteinas a side-effect of hitting your calorie goals really shouldn't be a problem.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Apart from any work from a professional behavioral psychologist [or whatever], my advice is SUCK IT UP AND EAT!
    Exercise discipline, plan your meals and just eat.
    It's simple. Plan ahead, and again, just do it.

What may not be so simple are your food issues, and nobody here can help with that.

Good Luck
    :)

@tristamdavis I agree with this. You have health concerns and advice from the web could be deadly in your case well in all of our cases.

When I cut out most all carbs to manage my pain (very successful by the way) I replaced them with fats. I have to keep my protein 70-100 grams daily for it to work best in my case.

Keep in mind your needs today are beyond the scope of MFP objectives and abilities because it is not a place for detailed medical advice in life and death concerns.

Best of luck on following professional advice at this time concerning your health because if you get past your current health needs you have most of your life in front of you. Please focus on what you have been told by your nutritionist a week at a time and not third parties you do not know.