Low protein

Options
2»

Replies

• sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    EAT EVERYTHING. And more protein is probably wise. Enjoy a few donuts, ice cream, pizza, etc. in moderation. Keep yourself accountable for the calories/macros but don't restrict your food sources. You'll be fine!
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if you shouldn't be working with a dietitian rather than a nutritionist.
    I would ask your nutritionist to explain why she set those targets... There might be a very valid reasons, but I wouldn't just accept it without knowing why.
  • tristamdavis
    tristamdavis Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the kind words and support. I spoke to a dietitian who explained to me that the 50-70 grams of protein is only taking account protein from animal products, nuts & legumes. Other grains with protein such as bread and oatmeal are not counted towards my protein goal. Also, if I choose to use nuts as my fat sources, than they will not count toward the protein goal either. As for my fixation on eating clean, I have improved as I am able to enjoy other, "not-so-healthy" foods in moderation whereas I use to avoid them at all cost always (for about a year now).
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the kind words and support. I spoke to a dietitian who explained to me that the 50-70 grams of protein is only taking account protein from animal products, nuts & legumes. Other grains with protein such as bread and oatmeal are not counted towards my protein goal. Also, if I choose to use nuts as my fat sources, than they will not count toward the protein goal either. As for my fixation on eating clean, I have improved as I am able to enjoy other, "not-so-healthy" foods in moderation whereas I use to avoid them at all cost always (for about a year now).

find someone new.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Why would they want to restrict animal proteins... they are a complete protein source?

And if they are trying to get you to gain weight, why would they restrict you from something that has a lot of calories (well at least in red meat)
  • tristamdavis
    tristamdavis Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    No, I'm sorry I think you're misunderstanding. She only wants 50-70 grams of my protein to come from animal products.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    No, I'm sorry I think you're misunderstanding. She only wants 50-70 grams of my protein to come from animal products.

Seems far too complex for me... just hit your protein instead of focusing on "I want 50g from chicken breasts" etc...
  • dizzler1
    dizzler1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice on here best being just eat ! If your have to follow the protein amounts strictly then google for healthy high calorie low protein foods Whole wheat bread and banana are good examples . Granola would also be good for you but it does have a little protein
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options

Because this would not trigger disorder eating?
  • psuLemon
    Options

No no, i understand. I am wondering why would you restrict animal proteins. They are contain all essential amino acids vice most plant proteins (i believ tofu is the exception). And I would think if recoverying from a ED that any food would be good food.
  • ryanflebbe
    ryanflebbe Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it's a guideline. If she ate 90g of complete protein I don't think it will trigger psychosis. The nutritionist probably wants her to eat healthy as well. She wouldn't be a very good nutritionist if she just said, "You're underweight?ight! Dont wor:ry about what kind of foods you get the calories from. The more red meat and icecream, the better"
  • psuLemon
    Options
    ryanflebbe wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it's a guideline. If she ate 90g of complete protein I don't think it will trigger psychosis. The nutritionist probably wants her to eat healthy as well. She wouldn't be a very good nutritionist if she just said, "You're underweight?ight! Dont wor:ry about what kind of foods you get the calories from. The more red meat and icecream, the better"

While I am a huge proponent of getting a variety of foods to ensure maximum nutrient intake, i am more curious why there is a limitation on animal proteins.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    The more red meat and icecream, the better"
    works for me!
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    works for me!

You're a special snowflake. That's why it works for you.

But don't fear, I'm a special snowflake too. I'm ready for my steak and shake right now actually.
  • worldofalice
    worldofalice Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I feel like focusing so much on exact amounts of protein and obsessing about where it's coming from is only going to fuel your eating disorder. You want to be moving AWAY from a focus on macros, eating freely and intuitively and socially without having to weight and calculate and obsess. I feel like the advice you were given was well-intentioned but misguided. Good luck girl, you can do this.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    OP, I would definitely recommend you get a second professional opinion. This is too important (on several levels) to have potentially been given incorrect advice.

I wish you the best in your recovery.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    terar21 wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    works for me!

You're a special snowflake. That's why it works for you.

But don't fear, I'm a special snowflake too. I'm ready for my steak and shake right now actually.

I love special snow flakes.

mostly because if you have enough of them you can have special snow flake ice cream to enjoy after your special snow flake steak!!!

NOMNOMNOMNOM- we are having to eat out a lot this week- don't think I'll get my regular steak- having to take it to the budget mat. Oh well. I'll get more next week!
  • treadmill0100
    treadmill0100 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    thx for this information from member , itis very useful
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Shoot for 1 gram per pound LEAN BODY MASS, which will probably put you in the 70-80 gram/day area.
  • silverstormborn
    silverstormborn Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I weigh roughly the same as you, OP {84lbs, 5 ft 1-2} with my goal weight being 98lbs.

{- my daily goal according to fitnesspal by the way is 1,830 calories & 92 protein, with good results!}

I'm frustrated by my dietitian {she refuses to talk numbers} but I've got to say, what your nutritionist is advising you would only fuel my anxiety & make my obsession with food/eating/counting calories so much worse... I've got to agree with everyone recommending you find someone else. I'd hate to be this situation, I'd be so stressed...