Why did you get fat?

Options
124»

Replies

• shadechick
    shadechick Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I was always very small. At 110 lbs for my teenage and early adult years, I could eat anything I wanted and never gain any weight. Since I was so small, I've also never exercised. I got married at 25, still small. About a year or two after being married, we moved from the city I'd lived my whole life to another city so my husband could get a better job. I had a hard time finding a job, it took several months. I was also away from all my friends and family, and I didn't like the town we moved to. That's when I started gaining weight. I was able to lose 25-30 lbs a few years later, but now I've gained it all back plus some for a total of 55 lbs. Now, it's daunting to lose this much weight. So, that's my story!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Which would be more important; the "why" or the "how"?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Ate too much.
  • SchtubieSchtuben
    SchtubieSchtuben Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am so incredibly sorry. I had a baby...I have been eating too much is the likely culprit. I love food. Can't lie.
  • Brin1956
    Brin1956 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I became fat because I started doing my husband's lifestyle. I am his eating buddy. Not anymore he will have to find someone else to sit on the couch and eat big meals. I gained with every pregnancy and with my miscarriage he brought me so many chocolate bars. My husband has not brought any sweets into the house since I mentioned going on MFP this time. Maybe he is finally learning not to buy a dozen donuts as soon as I say I'm dieting.
  • SpudMcStud
    SpudMcStud Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's was a combination of things really, When I was 7 I got Bronchitis that I believe is where the weight started from. I was bed ridden for days, and I was allergic to the normal medication so they gave me steroids which I believe changed my body in someway since I was eating the same as my brothers who were both skinny growing up. Now I see a lot of bad habits I picked up from my parents. From not having 1 or 2 cookies, but having a plate/bowl full.
    A fun size snicker Ill take a handful ending up with more then a normal size one. Many small things that add up. And here I am today eating pizza in the morning, but decided to change so I am on here now.
  • tammymoberg
    tammymoberg Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    So sorry about your loss! My story also began due to child loss.

Ten years ago our son Aidan passed away from Batten Disease. He was 5 and a half and the disease progressed very quickly. I had never dealt with loss prior to this and I took it very hard. When he was still alive, I started gaining weight from always eating fast food. We were always going to doctors and that was all I had time for I thought.

Fast forward to ten years later and I have gained a whopping 60 pounds thanks to the depression! I'm finally clawing my way back to reality, but it is an uphill climb!! If you'd like to add me, please do. Keep working hard!! :)
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Well, my thyroid bit the dust when I was 30, and then I got put on a head med that increased my appetite to pregnant-like levels. It took a lot of medication adjustment, a lot of dietary adjustment, a lot of epic fail attempts, and finally a nutritionist and working out like a maniac to get the fat back off.
  • crzycylr
    crzycylr Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear of your loss. I think I stop taking care of myself when things get tough. So, pretty much. I don't make myself a priority. I'm trying to really change that THIS time. Yes, I said this time because its' a cycle I haven't been able to break yet. Fingers crossed :)
  • rhianna818
    rhianna818 Posts: 85 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'm fat because...I was always overweight as a child and I began yo-yoing in JR High. Then when I was 18 I met my 1st husband and all we did was eat out. Smoke some pot and eat. I ate like he ate and after gaining 100lbs I became depressed and was unhappy in my marriage but tried to stick it out. Bc of that he did EVERYTHING for me, I literally didn't have to lift a finger and my weight kept going. No he wasn't a feeder, he just thought if he did everything and anything for me, including any food or snacks I wanted that I would stay. I never even went grocery shopping. I just worked my FT desk job and then sat my fat butt on the couch or in front of the computer and ate and ate. I put on another 50 lbs. And left him. I've maintained my weight for several years mostly focused on NOT gaining any more. Almost afraid to lose bc I didn't want to fail and gain more back.
    Now I have remarried and my husband is also on MFP and we track together and he is a great support of us getting our life back.
  • Gozergirl
    Gozergirl Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing everyone!
  • whittneydills
    whittneydills Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    So sorry for your loss :( (and my reason ... Prime rib was amazing ..
  • BabyPhat90713
    BabyPhat90713 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Sorry about your loss :( I started gaining weight when I was twelve. After seeing numerous doctors I found out I had under active thyroid. So then due to laziness because I never had energy the weight piled on. Finally in 2010 I said enough and lost 55 pounds on WW. Then I got pregnant and became lazy again and gained. I hate the continuous yo yoing I have been doing. This time I am seeing a nutritionist. I have 85 pounds to goal.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Depression. Then, I took antidepressant medication, gained more...and got more depressed.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Celexa was the big weight gainer for me. I gained 30 lb in 3 months on that!!! I went back to the doctor and I said "Doc, this is not working. I'm gonna be big as a house." She then put me on Lexapro. I stopped gaining but there was no loss of fat. It was another ten years of trying this that and the other before my job finally put us (for 2 whole years) on a health plan that covered nutritionists. So I took advantage of that while I could. They have switched us again, this time to a terrible worthless plan, but I have the knowledge and the handouts and everything I received during my year of nutritionist visits. Also one thing the endocrinologist I saw (blood sugar issues) shared is that eating a carb alone leads to more hunger later, whereas pairing it with a protein leads to increased satisfaction. So for example toast and jam = gonna be hungry again soon. Toast and eggs = be satisfied until lunch. Eating to maintain satisfaction without going over calories is a big key in losing fat and keeping the weight off. The nutritionist suggested adding 1/2 tbsp of nut butter to yogurt to boost the protein content. That's been very helpful as I am a big yogurt eater.
  • FocusMarlon
    FocusMarlon Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I struggled with weight my whole life. When I was in elementary my mom would buy me a 20piece chicken nugget almost every day and I would eat it all. She was a very healthy and fit mom but didn't really watch what I ate or controlled it. Then JR high came I lost the weight because I discovered girls. lol Kept it off and was built in high school because I was in wrestling. Got a gf and gained a lot of comfort weight ALOT. Hit 212 and said no more dropped down to 160 but no muscle moved to socal and gained it all back because I ATE TOO MUCH AND DIDNT WORK OUT. Moved back to the bay and said no more again but this time for real. I dropped the weight and am I will not get myself gain it back. Now I make healthier choices and work out 6x a week and I love it.
  • saraherren
    saraherren Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Celexa was the big weight gainer for me. I gained 30 lb in 3 months on that!!! I went back to the doctor and I said "Doc, this is not working. I'm gonna be big as a house." She then put me on Lexapro. I stopped gaining but there was no loss of fat. It was another ten years of trying this that and the other before my job finally put us (for 2 whole years) on a health plan that covered nutritionists. So I took advantage of that while I could. They have switched us again, this time to a terrible worthless plan, but I have the knowledge and the handouts and everything I received during my year of nutritionist visits. Also one thing the endocrinologist I saw (blood sugar issues) shared is that eating a carb alone leads to more hunger later, whereas pairing it with a protein leads to increased satisfaction. So for example toast and jam = gonna be hungry again soon. Toast and eggs = be satisfied until lunch. Eating to maintain satisfaction without going over calories is a big key in losing fat and keeping the weight off. The nutritionist suggested adding 1/2 tbsp of nut butter to yogurt to boost the protein content. That's been very helpful as I am a big yogurt eater.

I took celexa as well for 3 years and I went from 160 to 200! Once I lost weight I was able to get off it.
  • srdavist
    srdavist Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My condolences to you, a parent should never have to lay a child to rest.

I was husky as a kid, come Jr high and all thru high school I was on a strict workout plan for football and wrestling. After 7+ yrs of being so regulated in my activity and my meals I let it go. After high school I lost a out of the muscle mass I had put on. Little bits at first so it wasn't a huge change. Then due to some stupid decisions I spent 3 years on house arrest with an ankle monitor. Work and home only. That's when it really took a toll. Gained almost 100lbs during that time.

So here I am at 35 yrs old and I'm tired of it. I'm done with being overweight, not having the energy to play with my son. Just finished! It's time for a change for my good and the well being of my family.
  • Gozergirl
    Gozergirl Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I see depression mentioned a bit. I am clinically depressed with OCD and tale meds for such, which I am sure are not helping in the weight dept...
  • craftyfox2014
    craftyfox2014 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Recenty why I got fat again was because I became scared of food before I had my gallbladder out, and I really wasn't mentally well once it was out which didn't help matters, but once I found could eat without pain and also caring for a family member and a physically demanding day job ment I lived off of bought sandwiches and junk food.