Sugar free

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    lawanddean wrote: »
    just started to try and go sugar free, anyone tried it?

Nah, exersise in futility.

Natural sugar in most foods. Added sugar same chemically as natural sugar. Calorie deficit for weight loss. Varied diet for health. Food I like for mental sanity.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    edited August 2015

lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I take it you mean you are looking to reduce your sugar - good for you. great thing to cut back on to reduce the calories.

Going "sugar free" does not = "reducing sugar."

It does if you don't read everything so literally!

The other day I was out of breath (but guess what? I could still breath).

• lawanddean
    lawanddean Posts: 46 Member
    Yes exactly, I did mean added sugar free and reduce sugar intake from fruit and veg
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I take it you mean you are looking to reduce your sugar - good for you. great thing to cut back on to reduce the calories.

Out of breath is an expression in a way sugar free is not.

So not a good analogy.

I would also disagree that reducing sugar from veg is a good thing.
  • lawanddean
    Whilst fruit and veg are good for you, if you want to lose weight eating too much fruit which is high in sugar could have adverse effects. Especially dried fruit which is high in calories and sugar, fruit juices and smoothed. I no longer have any of these and have seen really positive results
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited August 2015
    Well progres so far I've limited sugar, I only have it from fruit and I've limited that, I'm eating much more but more healthy foods and I've lost 7 pounds in a week and feel amazing. I'm not touching process foods again, I wish I had tried this years ago

Also I've increased my calories from 1400 which was recommended by this site too 2000 as my food now is high in calories (nuts, dairy) I've always struggled to lose weight unless I exercise but having twin babies has meant I am unable to go to the gym 5 times a week (which I did pre babies) I've never thought it was possible to eat more, do less exercise (which I'm not recommending as I will be back to the gym ASAP) and still lose weight which isn't water retention

I hate to be a Debbie Downer here, but with 7 lbs lost in a week much of it likely is water retention. Not saying you shouldn't keep doing what you're doing, but I don't think you lost 7 lbs of fat in a week.

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Well progres so far I've limited sugar, I only have it from fruit and I've limited that, I'm eating much more but more healthy foods and I've lost 7 pounds in a week and feel amazing. I'm not touching process foods again, I wish I had tried this years ago

I LOVE it! When you said "sugar free", I assumed that you did not mean you would stop eating fruit or drinking milk or consuming ANY possible source of sugar because that would be a statistically unusual situation and if that really WERE your intent, I would have expected you to expound upon all the strict rules you would have to follow. I don't know why people here take everyone so literally when, to me, your intent was clear. But I LOVE that you didn't engage, you just came back and reported SUCCESS! WTG!

• lawanddean
    Tbf you may be right as I've lost 2 inches off my belly, 1 from my thighs and 2 from my bum and my face is thinner, so the sugar may have been holding onto water as I've been dieting since last August and lost 2 stone but was stuck for the past 4 months at the same weight so the sugar thing may have kick started the water retention loss. But apart from that I have high levels of energy, no mood swings and sleep amazingly, I do think that it from giving up sugar
  • lawanddean
    Thanks

I LOVE it! When you said "sugar free", I assumed that you did not mean you would stop eating fruit or drinking milk or consuming ANY possible source of sugar because that would be a statistically unusual situation and if that really WERE your intent, I would have expected you to expound upon all the strict rules you would have to follow. I don't know why people here take everyone so literally when, to me, your intent was clear. But I LOVE that you didn't engage, you just came back and reported SUCCESS! WTG!

• lawanddean
    Thank you :) I appreciate that :)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    @lawanddean about a year ago trying to manage my arthritis pain without Rx meds I went off of sugar which means I now eat < 50 grams of any carb food source daily. I had been living mainly on carbs for 40 years and the withdrawal cravings make it hellish for me for two weeks and were basically gone after the first month thankfully.

Between my cutting out sugar and grains and going heavy on coconut oil to make up the calories loss from carb intake my pain is well managed and 40 years of life defining IBS was cured within 6 months eating <50 grams of carbs daily.

I expect without a real health need/concern cutting out sugar is not going to appeal the masses.

Thankfully from a medical angle humans do not require sugar and grains (carbs) to be in our diet at any level to be healthy. Zero carb eating does not appeal to my mind and < 50 grams daily permits me to stay in nutritional ketosis which seems in my case to keep my pain at bay. Curing the IBS and a slow weight loss are just two nice side effects of eating very Low Carb High Fat in my case.

Best of success if you decide to go sugar free. Medically going sugar free is not typically required for good health. If you do go sugar free read up on the subject. It took me a few month to fully adjust to burning mainly ketones instead of glucose for energy. Keep in mind there are no min daily requirement of carbs to eat. Typically the body will make all the glucose we require if we eat enough protein and fats. Personally I do not go heavy on protein to prevent weight gains from the glucose that comes from protein typically. I keep protein in the 70-100 grams daily as a 200 pound guy.

In my case I do not go hungry to lose weight and I eat until I am really full. Living on sugar (carbs) I could eat a 3000 meal and still 'want' more 'food'. I now croak if I do not stop eating when I get full.

If young people will learn the best way their bodies wants them to eat and DO it they will not have to deal with wrong eating in their old age the way I do today I expect.
  • tennisdude2004
    edited August 2015

So not a good analogy.

I think in this day an age of dieting 'most people' understand sugar free diets as an expression meaning 'ones that reduce added sugar'.

It just seems on MFP that 'some' do not have the capability of using common sense when understanding OP's phraseology.

And regards reducing sugar from fruit and veg - I think you can only really make a judgement on that when you know what the starting point is (for example - If the ops is getting 80% of cals from fruit and veg, there maybe room for reduction).
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member

So not a good analogy.

I think in this day an age of dieting 'most people' understand sugar free diets as an expression meaning 'ones that reduce added sugar'.

It just seems on MFP that 'some' do not have the capability of using common sense when understanding OP's phraseology.

And regards reducing sugar from fruit and veg - I think you can only really make a judgement on that when you know what the starting point is (for example - If the ops is getting 80% of cals from fruit and veg, there maybe room for reduction).

Sure, especially because everyone who says "going sugar free" means exactly that and we have totally not seen anyone on here who literally meant going completely sugar free, or completely added sugar free instead of "reducing".
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    edited August 2015

:smiley:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    fruit and veg are very good for you...so nah...
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Whilst fruit and veg are good for you, if you want to lose weight eating too much fruit which is high in sugar could have adverse effects. Especially dried fruit which is high in calories and sugar, fruit juices and smoothed. I no longer have any of these and have seen really positive results

Same here, avoiding all added sugars and sweeteners, avoiding high sugar fruits and veggies too - there are a million food choices and eliminating high sugar ones is pretty painless once you get into the practice.

• tennisdude2004
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Not if you eat too much of them. It's all about moderation ;)

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    edited August 2015
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Not if you eat too much of them. It's all about moderation ;)

uhhhh...ok tennisdude

so what's too much then...enlighten me....

I eat about 6-8 servings of veg daily...3-4 servings of fruit...so enlighten me, what am I doing wrong?

and by the by, I'm pretty damned fit and healthy and currently sitting around 12% BF.

[Edited by MFP Staff]
  • tennisdude2004
    Well Cwolfmange - eating more in calories than you burn - possibly! or does fruit have magic calories that don't cause weight gain??? Please enlighten me!

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Congrats! I'm glad you found something that works so well for you.

And no worries if it is water weight. If you never return to eating foods with added sugars in the same way you did in the past, that (water) weight will never come back. I've been eating lowered sugars, and then almost no sugars, for close to two months and I have lost over twenty pounds; if three or four of those are water weight, who cares. ;)

It's pretty impressive how you were able to lose after upping your calorie intake. What you are doing obviously works for you.