How long to lose the skinny fat?

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    patrikc333 wrote: »
    try to run in the fat burning cardio zone

That myth has already been debunked for quite some time.

OP, there are a few methods. You can recomp, which could take a year or two, or you can bulk/cut. The latter being much faster. But with a good progressive lifting program and hitting adequate protein, you can see body composition changes even with very little weight movement. I would suggest setting your calories at a small deficit to allow for some error in logging practices.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Whether you are considered a healthy weight or not, if you have excess fat, the way to lose it is through a calorie deficit.

This nails it the way to lose is have the calorie deficit!

• _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Recomp takes a lot of time and patience, so let's not get ahead of ourselves. Take pictures and measurements monthly, because the changes will happen, but they'll be slow.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I did not work that hard but the skinny fat disappeared within 6 months (I lost 40 pounds and am 5'10"). I sit on a Pilates ball all day at work and it tightened my core. And I just walk. It took 3" off my waist without any weight loss. You are being much more efficient - I hope it works even faster!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    earthnut wrote: »
    Whether you are considered a healthy weight or not, if you have excess fat, the way to lose it is through a calorie deficit.

No. You can be underweight and still have excess fat. It's not healthy nor advisable to try to lose all body fat with weight loss alone. If you are at a healthy weight, you need to recomp not lose more weight.

No. You can be underweight and still have excess fat. It's not healthy nor advisable to try to lose all body fat with weight loss alone. If you are at a healthy weight, you need to recomp not lose more weight.

@earthnut Thanks for this post... I was thinking the same thing but didn't know how to word my response.

Reread what I said. I said nothing about getting rid of all fat. I said, "if you have excess fat."

My concern w/ your statement is this: I am 5'1" 106 pounds. I got to this weight after losing 20 pounds.
    How low, weight wise, would you suggest I go?
    I'm asking a legit question BTW...

The fact of the matter is unless I get to a nearly anorexic (or maybe total anorexic state) I'm probably still going to have some flab on me.

That is the point what we are trying to get across...
    That sometimes it takes more than just weight loss.
    @TimothyFish

According to the BMI chart you could go to 100 and still be in the normal range at that height.

If you don't like it and recomp is taking too long for you, you can gain some weight while lifting, then go back down to your goal weight, you'll have less fat than before ideally if you didn't go too fast. Repeat as necessary.
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

@earthnut Thanks for this post... I was thinking the same thing but didn't know how to word my response.

Reread what I said. I said nothing about getting rid of all fat. I said, "if you have excess fat."

My concern w/ your statement is this: I am 5'1" 106 pounds. I got to this weight after losing 20 pounds.

The fact of the matter is unless I get to a nearly anorexic (or maybe total anorexic state) I'm probably still going to have some flab on me.

@TimothyFish

According to the BMI chart you could go to 100 and still be in the normal range at that height.

If you don't like it and recomp is taking too long for you, you can gain some weight while lifting, then go back down to your goal weight, you'll have less fat than before ideally if you didn't go too fast. Repeat as necessary.

100? I already look really bony: hip bones, spine, and collar bones protruding, skinny arms and face.
    I just have a bit of flab on my tummy, butt, and thighs.
    I am worried about appearing anorexic looking...as I said I kind of do already in some areas...
    Being able to get down to a lower weight and it looking healthy are 2 different things.

Thanks for your input though, I appreciate you taking the time to respond @stevencloser .

EDITED: Actually you got me thinking...
    Maybe I'm "bony looking" because I didn't get adequate protein during my weight loss.
    Eating lots of protein is something I just recently learned about and have recently been making a goal. If I eat lots of protein and continue in a deficit to lose the last 6 pounds (that would put me at 100 pounds) do you think that would make a difference w/ the "bony" look?
    Would losing those 6 pounds make any difference to the flab?

I do strength training w/ my husband 3 times a week.
    And cardio 4 times a week.

TIA!
  • Moter98
    Moter98 Posts: 51 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

• DoreenaV1975
    Options
    Edited response above ^^ questions included.
  • Moter98
    Options
    I agree. I've gotten myself to the lowest end of a "healthy" weight for me and I looked sick. Not the look I'm going for.
  • DoreenaV1975
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Moter98 wrote: »
    I agree. I've gotten myself to the lowest end of a "healthy" weight for me and I looked sick. Not the look I'm going for.

I had gotten to 102 before and looked awful and had no energy.
    My husband was not a happy camper and actually got mad at me.
    He said I was way too skinny!
    Looking back I really was... but damn my a** and belly, LOL!
    It's like they made it their mission to hang around, literally!

But as I stated in my edited response earlier... maybe it's because of my inadequate consumption of protein??
    I eat a lot more of it now, and maybe that's the difference.
    Hopefully somebody can advise..
  • stevencloser
    Options

@TimothyFish

100? I already look really bony: hip bones, spine, and collar bones protruding, skinny arms and face.
    I am worried about appearing anorexic looking...as I said I kind of do already in some areas...
    Being able to get down to a lower weight and it looking healthy are 2 different things.

Thanks for your input though, I appreciate you taking the time to respond @stevencloser .

Maybe I'm "bony looking" because I didn't get adequate protein during my weight loss.
    Eating lots of protein is something I just recently learned about and have recently been making a goal. If I eat lots of protein and continue in a deficit to lose the last 6 pounds (that would put me at 100 pounds) do you think that would make a difference w/ the "bony" look?

TIA!

You won't gain much "meat" on your bones if any while you're at a deficit. If you're going to go with the "gain weight then go back down" approach though, that happens. Slowly because you're a woman, but it's gonna happen. You'll gain mostly muscle while gaining and lose mostly fat while losing, you'll get leaner and fuller and eventually you might want to stay at a goal weight of 110, then 115 etc. Gonna take a while though.
  • Moter98
    Options

I had gotten to 102 before and looked awful and had no energy.
    My husband was not a happy camper and actually got mad at me.
    He said I was way too skinny!
    Looking back I really was... but damn my a** and belly, LOL!
    It's like they made it their mission to hang around, literally!

But as I stated in my edited response earlier... maybe it's because of my inadequate consumption of protein??
    I eat a lot more of it now, and maybe that's the difference.
    Hopefully somebody can advise..

I ate plenty of protein when I got down to 107. I ate 1g per lb body weight and I was lifting. Didn't make a difference for me.
  • Moter98
    Options

@TimothyFish

TIA!

You won't gain much "meat" on your bones if any while you're at a deficit. If you're going to go with the "gain weight then go back down" approach though, that happens. Slowly because you're a woman, but it's gonna happen. You'll gain mostly muscle while gaining and lose mostly fat while losing, you'll get leaner and fuller and eventually you might want to stay at a goal weight of 110, then 115 etc. Gonna take a while though.

I agree this is the quickest way. I was just wondering how long a recomp would take vs bulk/cut cause I just am so tired of the cutting part. Would like to just eat and lift and live my life without being hungry all the time having to do the cut part.
  • stevencloser
    Options
    I maintained for a few months in order to recomp and I saw basically no change in my body, went back to cutting and basically immediate results, so...

I don't think there's any flat numbers around like "recomp is x times slower than a bulk/cut cycle", but it is a lot slower from any person I heard of, and only really sensible if you're already pretty lean hoping to get just that little bit leaner and not looking for gaining more muscle mass anymore.
  • Moter98
    Options
    I maintained for a few months in order to recomp and I saw basically no change in my body, went back to cutting and basically immediate results, so...

I don't think there's any flat numbers around like "recomp is x times slower than a bulk/cut cycle", but it is a lot slower from any person I heard of, and only really sensible if you're already pretty lean hoping to get just that little bit leaner and not looking for gaining more muscle mass anymore.

Ok thanks for the feedback. I'll have to think on it some more. Maybe I will need to just suck it up cause I am not a patient person. I don't think I will be able to stand no progress.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I worked with a women on a recomp and it took her 18 months. And her diet was ridiculously on point and consistent. Others on this board have taken a few years.
  • Moter98
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    I worked with a women on a recomp and it took her 18 months. And her diet was ridiculously on point and consistent. Others on this board have taken a few years.

Yikes. That's a long time. I'm in this for the long haul, but my that's daunting. Would you say bulk/cut could take 1/2 that time?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Yikes. That's a long time. I'm in this for the long haul, but my that's daunting. Would you say bulk/cut could take 1/2 that time?

Typical bulks run 6 months and cuts can last a few months but it's recommended to go to maintenance for a month to get used to the lesser amount of calories.