Options

Replies

• Moter98
    Moter98 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Moter98 wrote: »
    I worked with a women on a recomp and it took her 18 months. And her diet was ridiculously on point and consistent. Others on this board have taken a few years.

Yikes. That's a long time. I'm in this for the long haul, but my that's daunting. Would you say bulk/cut could take 1/2 that time?

Typical bulks run 6 months and cuts can last a few months but it's recommended to go to maintenance for a month to get used to the lesser amount of calories.

Thanks.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    I worked with a women on a recomp and it took her 18 months. And her diet was ridiculously on point and consistent. Others on this board have taken a few years.

What was the standard she was shooting for, though? I'm sure she saw some kinds of improvements at 6 or 12 months, right?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    A recomp takes a long time. I had the patience for it for about 4 months until I recently decided to cut once more so I can run a bulk. But if you're at the low end of your weight range, I don't recommend cutting anymore. Lift, eat, you'll get results but you have to be patient.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

What was the standard she was shooting for, though? I'm sure she saw some kinds of improvements at 6 or 12 months, right?

Great question. She dropped 8% body fat and 3 lbs in that 18 month timeframe. So she did see progress throughout. But she ate the same thing almost every day... think old school chicken and broccoli diet.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Yikes. That's a long time. I'm in this for the long haul, but my that's daunting. Would you say bulk/cut could take 1/2 that time?

Typical bulks run 6 months and cuts can last a few months but it's recommended to go to maintenance for a month to get used to the lesser amount of calories.

Thanks.

I would preface with asking how long have you been lifting? Because if you are new to lifting, i would be advise to start with a structured program and work in muscular efficiency prior to bulk.

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

Great question. She dropped 8% body fat and 3 lbs in that 18 month timeframe. So she did see progress throughout. But she ate the same thing almost every day... think old school chicken and broccoli diet.

That's an amazing result! From my POV, even a couple of % point change over six months would be a good outcome (but I'm not a bodybuilder). But yeah, boo to that diet :/ especially if it involved oatmeal with egg whites (yuk). Surely there's another way to get it done!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I am 5'1, 100-105 in maintenance with a body fat of somewhere between 22-25 (depending on which calc site I use, I think they are all a bit sketchy).

I do mainly body weight exercises, and am quite happy with how I look. Would I like to lose a tad more fat? Some days, but not enough to drop to an underweight BMI, or do a more intense resistance routine.
    Am I skinny- fat? I don't think so, but it is a slightly subjective term.

It is all very individualistic; what you want to look like, vs what you are willing to do to get there. I like functional fitness and not looking too scrawny, that may be an age thing ;)

Here is me. ...

dklyzzse5kzd.jpg

Cheers, h.
    Edit( can't believe I have just posted that! )
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Whether you are considered a healthy weight or not, if you have excess fat, the way to lose it is through a calorie deficit.

I do know that. However, I'm 5'3" at 115lbs. To lose the fat would put me underweight. I've been as low as 107lbs before, but still the belly. My ribs were sticking out and I looked gross, people were getting concerned as it did not look healthy on me. I'm not willing to go below the weight that I am now because I clearly do not look healthy at a lower weight.

Based on your bone structure, under 115 pounds may not be underweight. The ranges are guidelines. If you have a high body fat percentage (you should get it measured), you should reduce it. I'm 5'2", small-boned, and when young I was in the 90s, which was a normal, healthy weight for me. I've known lots of short women who were that weight and no, they were not anorexic. I'm now in the high 100s, which is a bit too high for me because I don't carry it well. My body fat percentage is 28%, which is higher than it used to be and I'm attempting to lower it. These days, I'm more focused on my body fat and muscle percentages than my weight, although I look at both.

But there is a difference between being at a good weight and looking exactly the way you want. In my case, no matter how much weight I lose, I'll always be pear-shaped. My ribs can be seen, while at the same time I have disproportionately big hips and a butt. That's just how I'm made.
  • Verdenal
    Options
    earthnut wrote: »
    Whether you are considered a healthy weight or not, if you have excess fat, the way to lose it is through a calorie deficit.

No. You can be underweight and still have excess fat. It's not healthy nor advisable to try to lose all body fat with weight loss alone. If you are at a healthy weight, you need to recomp not lose more weight.

No. You can be underweight and still have excess fat. It's not healthy nor advisable to try to lose all body fat with weight loss alone. If you are at a healthy weight, you need to recomp not lose more weight.

@earthnut Thanks for this post... I was thinking the same thing but didn't know how to word my response.

Reread what I said. I said nothing about getting rid of all fat. I said, "if you have excess fat."

My concern w/ your statement is this: I am 5'1" 106 pounds. I got to this weight after losing 20 pounds.
    How low, weight wise, would you suggest I go?
    I'm asking a legit question BTW...

The fact of the matter is unless I get to a nearly anorexic (or maybe total anorexic state) I'm probably still going to have some flab on me.

That is the point what we are trying to get across...
    That sometimes it takes more than just weight loss.
    @TimothyFish

According to the BMI chart you could go to 100 and still be in the normal range at that height.

If you don't like it and recomp is taking too long for you, you can gain some weight while lifting, then go back down to your goal weight, you'll have less fat than before ideally if you didn't go too fast. Repeat as necessary.

100? I already look really bony: hip bones, spine, and collar bones protruding, skinny arms and face.
    I just have a bit of flab on my tummy, butt, and thighs.
    I am worried about appearing anorexic looking...as I said I kind of do already in some areas...
    Being able to get down to a lower weight and it looking healthy are 2 different things.

Thanks for your input though, I appreciate you taking the time to respond @stevencloser .

EDITED: Actually you got me thinking...
    Maybe I'm "bony looking" because I didn't get adequate protein during my weight loss.
    Eating lots of protein is something I just recently learned about and have recently been making a goal. If I eat lots of protein and continue in a deficit to lose the last 6 pounds (that would put me at 100 pounds) do you think that would make a difference w/ the "bony" look?
    Would losing those 6 pounds make any difference to the flab?

I do strength training w/ my husband 3 times a week.
    And cardio 4 times a week.

TIA!

Eating protein alone is not magic. To look as trim and firm as possible you need to reduce your body fat percentage while building muscle. If you are concerned about aesthetics, you need to pay attention to the kinds of weight work you do. Weight exercises do make women bigger, and some bulky. I only use direct weight resistance on my upper body because I'm naturally pear-shaped and don't want want my bottom half to look bigger.
  • Verdenal
    Options

@earthnut Thanks for this post... I was thinking the same thing but didn't know how to word my response.

Reread what I said. I said nothing about getting rid of all fat. I said, "if you have excess fat."

My concern w/ your statement is this: I am 5'1" 106 pounds. I got to this weight after losing 20 pounds.

The fact of the matter is unless I get to a nearly anorexic (or maybe total anorexic state) I'm probably still going to have some flab on me.

@TimothyFish

According to the BMI chart you could go to 100 and still be in the normal range at that height.

If you don't like it and recomp is taking too long for you, you can gain some weight while lifting, then go back down to your goal weight, you'll have less fat than before ideally if you didn't go too fast. Repeat as necessary.

When I'm actively trying to lower body fat, I go on a short-term recomp program such as a Protein Sharing Modified Fast. It's a high protein, low fat, low carb, Very Low Calorie Diet that is tough, but it does work for me. I only do it two weeks at a time. It requires a lot of care to put together and follow. You need to make calculations based on your individual requirements and monitor yourself carefully. It's also only for healthy people, and anyone in doubt should consult a doctor before trying it.
  • Moter98
    Options

Thanks.

I would preface with asking how long have you been lifting? Because if you are new to lifting, i would be advise to start with a structured program and work in muscular efficiency prior to bulk.

I had my third baby 9 months ago. Lifted during and prior to having him, but just started up again about 2 months ago. I am doing Strong Curves. I lost a lot of muscle mass during my second pregnancy due to being on bed rest and then in my 20's I dieted all wrong by under eating and being a cardio bunny. Wish I would have known better then. Could have been eating a whole lot more that whole time.
  • Moter98
    Options
    Verdenal wrote: »

I do know that. However, I'm 5'3" at 115lbs. To lose the fat would put me underweight. I've been as low as 107lbs before, but still the belly. My ribs were sticking out and I looked gross, people were getting concerned as it did not look healthy on me. I'm not willing to go below the weight that I am now because I clearly do not look healthy at a lower weight.

Based on your bone structure, under 115 pounds may not be underweight. The ranges are guidelines. If you have a high body fat percentage (you should get it measured), you should reduce it. I'm 5'2", small-boned, and when young I was in the 90s, which was a normal, healthy weight for me. I've known lots of short women who were that weight and no, they were not anorexic. I'm now in the high 100s, which is a bit too high for me because I don't carry it well. My body fat percentage is 28%, which is higher than it used to be and I'm attempting to lower it. These days, I'm more focused on my body fat and muscle percentages than my weight, although I look at both.

But there is a difference between being at a good weight and looking exactly the way you want. In my case, no matter how much weight I lose, I'll always be pear-shaped. My ribs can be seen, while at the same time I have disproportionately big hips and a butt. That's just how I'm made.

As a teenager I weighed in at 115-117. I was the same size I am now but back then I looked lean, flat belly, etc. I have no issue with losing more weight except that I do not look healthy when I get there. I just want the body back or close that I used to have. Maybe that's unrealistic to have the same body you had at 19 at age 35. Argh.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    You cant compare yours to a teenager as their bodies are still growing. Although weight is really determined by body composition (lean body mass vs fat).
  • Moter98
    Options
    You cant compare yours to a teenager as their bodies are still growing. Although weight is really determined by body composition (lean body mass vs fat).

I am very low muscle mass with probably 10lbs of fat left to lose. What would you recommend to do first?
  • psuLemon
    Options

I am very low muscle mass with probably 10lbs of fat left to lose. What would you recommend to do first?

Probably a slow cut (250to 300 below tdee) while working on progressive lifts (to maximize muscle efficiencies gains) and then bulk up and another cut.
  • Moter98
    Options

Probably a slow cut (250to 300 below tdee) while working on progressive lifts (to maximize muscle efficiencies gains) and then bulk up and another cut.

Ok thanks.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

@TimothyFish
    @5'1" you would still be at a healthy weight at 95lbs or so, so there is room there if you want to lose weight. So you could set your goal to lose 0.5lbs/week while lifting heavy to be a fit and trim 5'1" 95-100lbs.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

@TimothyFish

100? I already look really bony: hip bones, spine, and collar bones protruding, skinny arms and face.
    I just have a bit of flab on my tummy, butt, and thighs.
    I am worried about appearing anorexic looking...as I said I kind of do already in some areas...
    Being able to get down to a lower weight and it looking healthy are 2 different things.

Thanks for your input though, I appreciate you taking the time to respond @stevencloser .

EDITED: Actually you got me thinking...
    Maybe I'm "bony looking" because I didn't get adequate protein during my weight loss.
    Eating lots of protein is something I just recently learned about and have recently been making a goal. If I eat lots of protein and continue in a deficit to lose the last 6 pounds (that would put me at 100 pounds) do you think that would make a difference w/ the "bony" look?
    Would losing those 6 pounds make any difference to the flab?

I do strength training w/ my husband 3 times a week.
    And cardio 4 times a week.

TIA!

If you want to maintain the muscle as you lose, protein and progressive strength training are important. what program are you following? By doing so the 6 lb loss would be 5 of fat, which at your height should make a large visual impact.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Lost 60 lbs in 3 months. Was skinny fat then. Took about 6 months of heavy lifting to truly transform. Another 18 months before I got on stage at my first BB comp. Keep at it...the rewards are unending.