I called oatmeal cookies unhealthy and I got blasted - why?

Options

Replies

• SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    By the way I eat oatmeal every morning (255 calories of it) based on what you are all saying I should just replace it with oatmeal cookies as long as it fits the 255 calories. And sometimes the salads with chicken for lunch that I have I should replace it with bread and butter which will have the same calories.
    I love cherries as well and they require self control too, but at least you are getting more nutrients out of them than a snack of cookies. Or will you all argue that the nutrients from both are equivalent. This conversation is ridiculous. Yes it is all about your diet but your diet consists of food that are healthy and unhealthy.
    Actually what we are saying, is if you eat a well balanced meal, hit your nutrient goals (macro and micros) and have room for a 255 calorie cookie, you could.

Look at my diary and you will see a 250 calorie Klondike almost night.
    The problem is the poster is probably on a lower calorie diet and has little room for treats...

Oh without a doubt. But she could have one serving of ice cream which is around 160 calories or a couple of oreos. I only get a high calorie treat because I am pretty active and male.

I have 2100 calorie goal on days with high cardio exercising. I still rather make room for other "healthy foods" than ice cream unless I am really craving it and haven't had it in a while.
    Maybe (at least this was the case for me) you would crave it less if you fit in a serving more ofter...

So I need to feed myself ice cream more often when I have no craving for it so that I can be happy. Got it

No one is trying to force feed you ice cream.

What they are saying is that if you've hit your macros/micros and ice cream fits into your calories and you WANT ice cream, then said serving of ice cream is not going to undo your whole day.

Replace "ice cream" with any food of choice.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I just think realistically different food groups need different labels.

They have different labels. English has many words that fit that purpose and that have the added benefit of being actually accurate (unlike "clean" or "unhealthy").

For example, broccoli is "a vegetable."
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    By the way I eat oatmeal every morning (255 calories of it) based on what you are all saying I should just replace it with oatmeal cookies as long as it fits the 255 calories. And sometimes the salads with chicken for lunch that I have I should replace it with bread and butter which will have the same calories.
    I love cherries as well and they require self control too, but at least you are getting more nutrients out of them than a snack of cookies. Or will you all argue that the nutrients from both are equivalent. This conversation is ridiculous. Yes it is all about your diet but your diet consists of food that are healthy and unhealthy.
    Actually what we are saying, is if you eat a well balanced meal, hit your nutrient goals (macro and micros) and have room for a 255 calorie cookie, you could.

The problem is the poster is probably on a lower calorie diet and has little room for treats...

Oh without a doubt. But she could have one serving of ice cream which is around 160 calories or a couple of oreos. I only get a high calorie treat because I am pretty active and male.

I have 2100 calorie goal on days with high cardio exercising. I still rather make room for other "healthy foods" than ice cream unless I am really craving it and haven't had it in a while.
    Maybe (at least this was the case for me) you would crave it less if you fit in a serving more ofter...

So I need to feed myself ice cream more often when I have no craving for it so that I can be happy. Got it

Nope. Eat what makes you happy.

But don't label stuff as "bad."

Just because you don't want them, and you seem to not want to understand that one cookie isn't bad in an otherwise healthy diet, doesn't mean that you are better educated or more healthy or whatever it is.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Really? That's what you got?
    Why do you have to wait until you are craving something to have it. I would hazard to guess there are times you just simply want something. You can eat whatever you want, you just can't always eat as much as you want...

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    This is too much for me. I'm off to start a thread about regional craft beer.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    This is too much for me. I'm off to start a thread about regional craft beer.

LOL

Reading comprehension is hard for some, ;)
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

Do you have anything to offer besides labels, deliberate misrepresentation of what others say, reductio ad absurdum, and strawman arguments?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

Do you have anything to offer besides labels, deliberate misrepresentation of what others say, reductio ad absurdum, and strawman arguments?
    Circular reasoning and begging the question, but those aren't so hot, either.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Preferring to choose more nutrient dense foods than ice cream to meet your entire calorie goal is obviously fine. (Ice cream isn't that low in nutrients, though -- I might eat a bit less cheese or choose a leaner meat vs. a fattier one to fit it in or have a smaller serving of pasta, as the toppings are what I like best about pasta, not the pasta itself, and I think it's largely a wash. In any event, I tend to eat ice cream last so am unlikely to cook up more chicken and asparagus instead of having the ice cream.)

What I personally am objecting to is your being judgmental about others choosing to include lower nutrient foods in our overall healthy diets and, in particular, your claim that ice cream is inherently "unhealthy" or a poor choice.

"Unhealthy" reasonably means "will affect your health negatively," and I don't see how a moderate amount of ice cream in the context of a healthy diet does that. In fact, I think overall it affects my health positively. (Eating a whole pint on the other hand would not be smart, at least not for someone of my size (5'3) and at my calorie goal.)
  • lemurcat12
    Options

No one said this.

Why do you keep lying about what others have said. Do you think we are so incredibly dumb that that would actually be a convincing argument? Because it's not, and it's extremely disrespectful also.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I stated they had butter, white sugar, flour, chocolate chips, ect.
    I consider all these things unhealthy.
    But a couple of people say everything is healthy.
    Is my wording wrong?
    What would be unhealthy to those people in a cookie?

BTW - I like to eat in volumes.
    I have never been able to do portion control in my entire life.
    Oatmeal is a food I can eat and be full and be happy without guilt.

I never saw the particular conversation you are referring to, so I can't speak to that. This is a really long thread, so I did not read anything else. However, let me ask you.....

What is unhealthy about butter, sugar, flour, chocolate chips, and the "etc"?

That oatmeal cookie provides carbs, fat, and protein, and it tastes darn good too!!

Oatmeal is good too, but I put peanut butter, fruit, and milk on it. I also add Stevia because I really like it and it has no calories.

As for portion control--if you're losing weight you are doing portion control, even if it's unconsciously, because you stop eating when you're full. Your perception of healthy is for you only and really cannot be extrapolated to fit everyone else.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I don't label foods as nutrient dense or not either. I label them as Fruits, Vegetables, Grains, Protein, Treats.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    I stated they had butter, white sugar, flour, chocolate chips, ect.
    I consider all these things unhealthy.
    But a couple of people say everything is healthy.
    Is my wording wrong?
    What would be unhealthy to those people in a cookie?

BTW - I like to eat in volumes.
    I have never been able to do portion control in my entire life.
    Oatmeal is a food I can eat and be full and be happy without guilt.

I never saw the particular conversation you are referring to, so I can't speak to that. This is a really long thread, so I did not read anything else. However, let me ask you.....

What is unhealthy about butter, sugar, flour, chocolate chips, and the "etc"?
    Something about being easier to overeat than broccoli, I think.

• SLLRunner
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    MFP has a... thing about this. I have never seen a diet and fitness site like this before. People get criticized for avoiding excess sugar, junk food, highly processed items, etc. I may very occasionally permit myself such an item, but I'm not going to pretend it's *healthy* AKA high in nutrients, because it isn't! Folks will equate the "processing" of placing fruit or vegetables in a bag with the processing of mashing things to a pulp, adding a ton of preservatives, artificial flavors and salt, and frying it. To avoid criticism, the only thing to do is to eat healthy for your own sake but never mention it anywhere but on your own home page. *smh*

Nah. People get called out for demonizing foods. A blanket statement that an oatmeal cookie, or any other food is unhealthy, is demonizing food. No food is good or bad, it's all just food.

If you believe it's unhealthy for you for personal reasons, that's one thing. But, why decide it's unhealthy for everyone? What's the purpose in that?

Finally, why pretend anything? If you like something, allow yourself a treat. If you don't like it, don't eat it.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I don't label foods as nutrient dense or not either. I label them as Fruits, Vegetables, Grains, Protein, Treats.

yep, thats what i do.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

This is more similar to what I do (although I get even more specific since I can't not overthink every single thing), but for the purposes of this discussion nutrient dense is a step forward and what some people seem to mean by "healthy," I think.

I don't even really care if people want to call broccoli a "healthy" food even though it's not terribly precise or accurate given that context matters. Few people eat diets where broccoli wouldn't be generally a healthy addition, although there may be better ones at particular times (like don't hand me a piece of broccoli on a long bike ride!). I simply don't see the need to (inaccurately) call oatmeal cookies (or the like) "unhealthy."
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    Well of course they are not unhealthy in themselves if you only eat one. But if they are a big and frequent part of your life they are a problem. Still i would not call them healthy but healthier than some other options perhaps.

I would ignore who ever blasted you.

For you they might be a problem if they are a "big and frequent part" of your life, but not so for everyone.

There are people who have ice cream every day, or a cookie every day, because these things fit into their calories and macros, and they are still losing weight (or maintaining).
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

What they are saying is that if you've hit your macros/micros and ice cream fits into your calories and you WANT ice cream, then said serving of ice cream is not going to undo your whole day.

Actually force feeding people ice cream is part of the CICO cult initiation. Of course you have to consult the scripture (label) first and weight out an amount that fits the person's macros.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    . No one finishes a salad with chicken and says I could really go for another one. Or even 1 portion of steak makes you too full to have or even crave another one.
    wrong and wrong

I eat double chicken salad frequently- I eat a Lebanese salad- and it's SO good- I will ask for a second one.

and on the steak note? I go to Brazilian all you can eat meat at LEAST once a month- if not twice. And I have indeed gotten more steak after eating a big giant steak.

I don't even understand what you're trying to say here.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

Actually force feeding people ice cream is part of the CICO cult initiation. Of course you have to consult the scripture (label) first and weight out an amount that fits the person's macros.

Where can I sign up for the initiation? I'd like to be force fed ice cream- AND cake.

PS I had a cup cake for breakfast. #hatersgonnahate