I called oatmeal cookies unhealthy and I got blasted - why?

Options

Replies

• Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    I stated they had butter, white sugar, flour, chocolate chips, ect.
    I consider all these things unhealthy.
    But a couple of people say everything is healthy.
    Is my wording wrong?
    What would be unhealthy to those people in a cookie?

BTW - I like to eat in volumes.
    I have never been able to do portion control in my entire life.
    Oatmeal is a food I can eat and be full and be happy without guilt.

People here are trying to understand each other.

Maybe next time say "low calorie."

Here is a low calorie recipe for Baked Oatmeal.
    http://www.jillianskitchen.com/2011/11/14/baked-oatmeal/

Something like this is what I would recommend. It's basically granola. You could sub the sugar for artificial sweetener or whatever sweetening agent you deem healthy, and drop the moistened oats by the tablespoonful onto a cookie sheet and dry out your cookies into granola cookies in a low oven.

I would search for granola recipes rather than oatmeal cookie recipes.

Oats aren't low calorie, though. You can't binge on oats or granola. You might save some calories on a granola cookie vs a traditional oatmeal cookie, but it depends on how you prepare your recipe of course. And you can decide whether the trade off is worth it. Saving 50 calories for something that may not even be tasty to you might not be a good trade off, and sometimes you might find that tastiness in a smaller portion does win out over volume. One buttery oatmeal cookie might just be more worth the calorie cost than are the calorie cost of 3 'so-so' granola cookies. And weighing the costs isn't absolute, which one wins out can change by the day. No need to get married to the idea of only eating only one way vs. another.

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    OP, you were not bullied by people telling you how butter is the healthiest ingredient in the world to eat in volume. You were wondering why all cookies are unhealthy, meaning you cannot eat them in volume. You were told that cookies are not a high volume food. One or two cookies: reasonable treat, and nothing nto healthy about it. You say you do not do portion control. Then the answer is simple: cookies are not a snack you can enjoy. It is a healthy snack for me, who can have one with my morning coffee. I am not diabetic, so the sugar of one cookie will not affect me and I actually use olive oil, which is a healthy choice by any dr's standards. And the calories in my one cookie will not make me fat. It is not a snack for you, if you mean you will eat until you are full. You are blaming the poor cookies for being cookies. You want the taste of a cookie, and the calories of spinach. It is not the cookies fault, it is your expectation that is unreasonable. If you want high volume snacks with low calories, look into vegetables, not cookies and save the cookie for after a meal, when you are already full and will be happy with one or two.
  • coco_bee
    coco_bee Posts: 173 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    :)
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I like oatmeal cookies. I make them "healthier" (or whatever) by using brown sugar instead of refines white. Also - I prefer the taste! But at the end of the day.... a cookie is a cookie and if it tastes good and you can eat it - eat it!!!
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    ps - i absolutely LOVE your profile pic - it's the only reason I commented. Made the crazy cat lady in me go all squealy and mushy.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    I like oatmeal cookies. I make them "healthier" (or whatever) by using brown sugar instead of refines white. Also - I prefer the taste! But at the end of the day.... a cookie is a cookie and if it tastes good and you can eat it - eat it!!!

In the interest of sharing information: Brown sugar is white sugar with some molasses added. The amount of "refining" or "processing" is the same in both. The actual amount of molasses in brown sugar is so tiny that it doesn't make the nutritional content of white sugar any different than brown sugar.

I use brown sugar in my oatmeal cookies because they taste better that way.

Dark brown sugar in my salted butterscotch sauce. For the win. Sauce was great, but I need a better icing recipe.

And Op, I agree. If you can't control yourself around them, oatmeal cookies may be unhealthy for you. You should try working on willpower if you would like to incorporate them in your overall diet. If you don't want them, cut them out if you plan on never eating them again. But don't start a post telling everyone they are unhealthy.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Because people on this site are in denial and for them everything is healthy in moderation, fuel is just fuel, etc, etc.

Which I think is utter BS, personally. When I have to make a decision and consider if that serving of ice cream or that cookie is worth being hungry later, that should be a pretty good sign that it's not a 'healthy' choice.

I'm all for everything in moderation. I still eat cookies and chocolates and ice cream (heck, look at my diary). I don't feel guilty about it (well, except when I eat too much of either). I'm just not going to pretend that it's the best choice I could have made. Just because it fits my calories/macros doesn't mean I couldn't have eaten something more nutritious instead.

And for what it's worth, for me oatmeal cookies are an abomination, especially when they come with raisins.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Can I just make the point again that OP's original post was looking for an oatmeal cookie recipe that she could binge on, because she doesn't "do portion control" and was whining that she couldn't find an oatmeal cookie recipe that would let her eat a whole batch because they're unhealthy?

The 'moderation' responses were that oatmeal cookies weren't unhealthy in moderation, but that looking for a magic bingeable recipe for cookies so you could eat the whole damn lot, was not reasonable, logical or sustainable.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    MFP has a... thing about this. I have never seen a diet and fitness site like this before. People get criticized for avoiding excess sugar, junk food, highly processed items, etc. I may very occasionally permit myself such an item, but I'm not going to pretend it's *healthy* AKA high in nutrients, because it isn't! Folks will equate the "processing" of placing fruit or vegetables in a bag with the processing of mashing things to a pulp, adding a ton of preservatives, artificial flavors and salt, and frying it. To avoid criticism, the only thing to do is to eat healthy for your own sake but never mention it anywhere but on your own home page. *smh*

Exactly how I see many on MFP

Just learn to ignore them.

The conversations defending eating those junk foods just don't happen at the gym.

You should come to my running club track sessions - we're all amazing home bakers and sometimes we bring cookies and cake for after training. :) The junior track coach gave me an amazing recipe for strawberry crumble the other day.

In my opinion, 'high in nutrients' is important for health if you're restricting calories, because if you're not eating much you have to make what you do eat count. If you're very active (like some people at the gym, perhaps), you're probably eating a lot more food and some of it can easily be cookies, as you're still getting all the other nutrients you need elsewhere in your diet.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Ooh, actually I have just remembered an amazing recipe I invented for oatmeal cookies once when I needed something to eat quickly after 20-mile runs. They were 'healthy' because they were a quick hit of protein and carbs when I needed one and had less butter in than the granola bars I used to buy from the supermarket.
  • TnTWalter
    TnTWalter Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I found a recipe for oatmeal protein banana cookies....total calories <700 for all! woot. Have to make these soon.

Oatmeal Banana Protein Cookie
    Ingredients
    2 overripe bananas
    1 cup of oatmeal
    1/8 tsp of sea salt
    1 tsp cinnamon
    Dash of baking powder
    1 scoop Muscle Milk Vanilla Creme [or any vanilla protein powder]
    Directions
    1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
    2. Lightly spray a cookie sheet with olive or coconut oil. Evenly distribute the spray with
    a napkin or paper towel.
    3. In a large bowl, mash bananas until creamy. Add oats, protein, cinnamon, salt, baking
    powder, and any additional ingredients of your choice. Mix well.
    4. Plop mounded spoonfuls of the mixture onto cookie sheet. Sprinkle with almond
    slivers.
    5. Bake for 15 minutes.
    6. Eat and enjoy!
    Nutrition Facts
    Calories: 673
    Fat: 11 g
    Carbs: 121 g
    Protein: 29 g
  • rhyolite_
    rhyolite_ Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the "everything in moderation crowd" frequently (not always) advocates for hitting your macro goals and eating nutrient dense foods while enjoying your treats. So no one is suggesting "stuffing your face with junk food" or eating cookies for dinner so you have no room to meet your other nutrients. To those criticizing this point of view - at least characterize it correctly. Moderation posters generally show up in threads where someone is trying to eliminate a certain food because they think they need to just to let them know they have another option: moderation. That's exactly what happened in this original thread (why OP felt the need to start a new thread just to respond to her other thread is beyond me). OP wanted to binge eat on cookies but realized that calorie free oatmeal cookies don't necessarily exist. Posters were trying to let OP know that there is nothing inherently unhealthy about cookies (or cake or pie or ice cream) if eaten in moderation. Moderation =/= stuffing your face or missing out on important micro and macro nutrients. And I personally have never seen anyone advocate for that type of diet here (don't let the low post count fool you; long time lurker here). Many times a moderation advocate will post a simple "CICO, everything in moderation" response without much context. It would be possible for an OP in that scenario to get the wrong idea about what moderation means. But, jesus christ, if a person cannot utilize the giant search feature at the top of the community page to find the answer to their question that was posted just ten minutes ago, they don't deserve context.
  • Francl27
    edited August 2015
    Options
    TnTWalter wrote: »
    I found a recipe for oatmeal protein banana cookies....total calories <700 for all! woot. Have to make these soon.

Ingredients
    2 overripe bananas
    1 cup of oatmeal
    1/8 tsp of sea salt
    1 tsp cinnamon
    Dash of baking powder
    Directions
    2. Lightly spray a cookie sheet with olive or coconut oil. Evenly distribute the spray with
    a napkin or paper towel.
    3. In a large bowl, mash bananas until creamy. Add oats, protein, cinnamon, salt, baking
    4. Plop mounded spoonfuls of the mixture onto cookie sheet. Sprinkle with almond
    slivers.
    5. Bake for 15 minutes.
    6. Eat and enjoy!
    Nutrition Facts

Someone had to say it.

Yuck.

But hey, at least you won't be likely to binge on those...
    rhyolite_ wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the "everything in moderation crowd" frequently (not always) advocates for hitting your macro goals and eating nutrient dense foods while enjoying your treats. So no one is suggesting "stuffing your face with junk food" or eating cookies for dinner so you have no room to meet your other nutrients. To those criticizing this point of view - at least characterize it correctly. Moderation posters generally show up in threads where someone is trying to eliminate a certain food because they think they need to just to let them know they have another option: moderation. That's exactly what happened in this original thread (why OP felt the need to start a new thread just to respond to her other thread is beyond me). OP wanted to binge eat on cookies but realized that calorie free oatmeal cookies don't necessarily exist. Posters were trying to let OP know that there is nothing inherently unhealthy about cookies (or cake or pie or ice cream) if eaten in moderation. Moderation =/= stuffing your face or missing out on important micro and macro nutrients. And I personally have never seen anyone advocate for that type of diet here (don't let the low post count fool you; long time lurker here). Many times a moderation advocate will post a simple "CICO, everything in moderation" response without much context. It would be possible for an OP in that scenario to get the wrong idea about what moderation means. But, jesus christ, if a person cannot utilize the giant search feature at the top of the community page to find the answer to their question that was posted just ten minutes ago, they don't deserve context.

Ok so yeah, I don't know why people always assume that just because we eat cookies and that we say that there's nothing wrong with eating cookies, we stuff our face with them.

But just because there's nothing wrong with eating a couple cookies in a day doesn't make cookies a healthy food. I don't understand why the 'moderation crowd' insists on the whole 'nothing is unhealthy' thing. It's just silly. Of course some foods are not healthy. Sure, it's not unhealthy to just eat them in moderation, but coming to every single thread telling people that there's nothing unhealthy about cookies is just dumb.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    coco_bee wrote: »
    They are like that in here. They think as long as u don't go over ur calorie limit, u can stuff ur face with all sorts of junkfood and never suffer any consequences ,even tho millions of people die everyday from heart attack or type 2 diabetes

The only people I've seen make comments similar to what you describe are people like you who make them then argue against their own reductio ad absurdum.
  • Francl27
    Options
    coco_bee wrote: »
    They are like that in here. They think as long as u don't go over ur calorie limit, u can stuff ur face with all sorts of junkfood and never suffer any consequences ,even tho millions of people die everyday from heart attack or type 2 diabetes

The only people I've seen make comments similar to what you describe are people like you who make them then argue against their own reductio ad absurdum.

Very true. I'm just guessing that people who make such comments just have no self control whatsoever so they refuse to admit that it's actually possible to eat anything in moderation. Easier to say that everyone else stuffs their face with junk food than admit that they're the ones with a problem.
  • rhyolite_
    rhyolite_ Posts: 188 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Ingredients
    2 overripe bananas
    1 cup of oatmeal
    1/8 tsp of sea salt
    1 tsp cinnamon
    Dash of baking powder
    Directions
    a napkin or paper towel.
    slivers.
    5. Bake for 15 minutes.
    6. Eat and enjoy!
    Nutrition Facts

Someone had to say it.

Yuck.

But hey, at least you won't be likely to binge on those...
    rhyolite_ wrote: »

Ok so yeah, I don't know why people always assume that just because we eat cookies and that we say that there's nothing wrong with eating cookies, we stuff our face with them.

But just because there's nothing wrong with eating a couple cookies in a day doesn't make cookies a healthy food. I don't understand why the 'moderation crowd' insists on the whole 'nothing is unhealthy' thing. It's just silly. Of course some foods are not healthy. Sure, it's not unhealthy to just eat them in moderation, but coming to every single thread telling people that there's nothing unhealthy about cookies is just dumb.

Tbh, I'm not sure what would make cookies an inherently unhealthy food. I do understand what you're saying, and I'm not trying to be purposefully argumentative. I just think the healthiness of your diet is determined by, well, your overall diet. Zucchini is a "healthy" food to most people and provides quite a few nutrients. But if you eat only zucchini, your overall diet is not healthy. You wouldn't be getting all the nutrients that you need and your body would suffer. I can't think of any single food that is inherently "healthy" - because I'm not sure if I quite know what that would mean. You have to fill your diet with foods that help you meet both macro and micro nutrient goals and that help to fuel your body for all your activity. If you are eating foods in such a way that it adds up to a healthy overall diet, then how can a couple of cookies in context be unhealthy? What about cookies makes them inherently unhealthy? Again, I don't think the lack of micro/macro nutrients can be the culprit, because zucchini also lacks a lot of nutrients that we need.
  • TnTWalter
    TnTWalter Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I was just trying to help the OP in her quest for a quick grab snack oatmeal cookie that she can binge on and not go to far over her nutritional goals...i like bananas oatmeal and protein powder so it sounds good to me...but i'd throw in peanut butter maybe...yum...
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I was just trying to help the OP in her quest for a quick grab snack oatmeal cookie that she can binge on and not go to far over her nutritional goals...i like bananas oatmeal and protein powder so it sounds good to me...but i'd throw in peanut butter maybe...yum...

You're good, your recipe was a find and may be the OP will appreciate your effort :)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Can I just make the point again that OP's original post was looking for an oatmeal cookie recipe that she could binge on, because she doesn't "do portion control" and was whining that she couldn't find an oatmeal cookie recipe that would let her eat a whole batch because they're unhealthy?

The 'moderation' responses were that oatmeal cookies weren't unhealthy in moderation, but that looking for a magic bingeable recipe for cookies so you could eat the whole damn lot, was not reasonable, logical or sustainable.

Yeah, that's not going to happen. As pointed out before, there are things you can eat in a binge type mode, but oatmeal cookies isn't going to be one of them. If you want a high volume of something sweet, you could go for fruit or try making some protein fluff. Meringues have very few calories for the number of cookies you can eat, but I wouldn't really call them high volume since they just melt once they touch your tongue.