I called oatmeal cookies unhealthy and I got blasted - why?

Options

Replies

• Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I stated they had butter, white sugar, flour, chocolate chips, ect.
    I consider all these things unhealthy.
    But a couple of people say everything is healthy.
    Is my wording wrong?
    What would be unhealthy to those people in a cookie?

BTW - I like to eat in volumes.
    I have never been able to do portion control in my entire life.
    Oatmeal is a food I can eat and be full and be happy without guilt.
    People get offended when their food religion is challenged.

Of course cookies are not the healthiest food to eat, but remember, life is also to be lived.
    Could you go the rest of your life off tofu wrapped in seaweed and thrice dipped in carrot juice?
    :s
    We make cookies using various recipes that shift the health odds a bit. We use raw butter, brown sugar and whole grain flour...and still, cookies are not swimming in nutrition.
    That's reality.
    They're a treat, so fit them into your calorie goals and eat them with eyes wide open...and enjoy!
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Caitwn wrote: »
    It's just a teensy bit dramatic to say that the responses in that thread "blasted" you. I'm still looking for evidence of that. Maybe the abusive posts were deleted...

In the meantime, putting foods like oatmeal cookies into "good"/"bad" boxes within the context of a balanced diet doesn't make sense to me. But no cookie-type item, regardless of whether it's made like a traditional oatmeal cookie, or the unspeakable aberrations made with bananas, is something that would be a reasonable snack item for a person who identifies as a volume eater.

As another poster pointed out, oatmeal cookie recipes and the question of how to deal with snacks that may be appropriate for volume eaters are two different things. Maybe look for oatmeal recipes that emphasize savory rather than sweet?

I shudder at the thought of desecrating a oatmeal cookie with bananas, but since the thread already was established with an overload of drama, I shall keep my utter horror to myself. I make mine with a lot of brown sugar, butter, and vanilla..and occasionally include coconut flakes instead of raisins (so moist!) and bake them with a tablespoon of apricot preserves in the center. But they're not the kind of thing I'd keep handy as a regular snack.

If you wrote a blog, I'd subscribe ;)

Aw! Thank you (I think). I'd never be a good blogger, though, because I'd just fill it with youtubes of cats trying to fit into boxes, off-color jokes, and cookie recipes.
    haha - sign me up!
    :D
  • coco_bee
    coco_bee Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    They are like that in here. They think as long as u don't go over ur calorie limit, u can stuff ur face with all sorts of junkfood and never suffer any consequences ,even tho millions of people die everyday from heart attack or type 2 diabetes
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    jafa_bunz wrote: »
    They are like that in here. They think as long as u don't go over ur calorie limit, u can stuff ur face with all sorts of junkfood and never suffer any consequences ,even tho millions of people die everyday from heart attack or type 2 diabetes

lolz
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Who is 'they'? That's not how a well-balanced diet works. As long as you eat in a calorie deficit, you will lose weight, that's true. That is completely separate from losing weight the healthy way, which is eating a good balance of macronutrients, along with fruits and vegetables. While doing this, you can still eat other foods you like that fit into those macros, like cookies and ice cream, and chips, etc, as long as they fit into your calorie deficit. That's how it works.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

Excuse you.

I have never seen anyone say that. Only this.
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Who is 'they'? That's not how a well-balanced diet works. As long as you eat in a calorie deficit, you will lose weight, that's true. That is completely separate from losing weight the healthy way, which is eating a good balance of macronutrients, along with fruits and vegetables. While doing this, you can still eat other foods you like that fit into those macros, like cookies and ice cream, and chips, etc, as long as they fit into your calorie deficit. That's how it works.

• 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options

If you call moderation and eating foods you like whilst fitting them and your goals together (maintaining, gaining, cutting) stuffing your Face with junk food Then I do it daily.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    If the cookies were you daily meals....................well yeah, not nutritionally balanced and would impede having good health.
    One cookie a day that fits into your calorie limit all the while you've met your macro/micronutrient needs? Probably would do little to nothing to affect your health.

Dosage matters.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Among other things, it's not possible to "stuff your face with all kinds of junk food" and stay within your calorie limit. A food plan that is composed primarily of nutrient dense food and treats in moderation will sustain health and well-being for a lifetime. Nothing wrong at all with nice oatmeal cookie (or ice cream, or whatever).
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Options
    "They" are pure wicked...just like in the movie!
    563fuf6vkacq.jpg

Ford.jpg 300.2K
  • coco_bee
    Options
    OP asked why she got blasted and this is why, because some people think there is no such thing as unhealthy food
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP did You ever specify in either thread what you feel is unhealthy about an oatmeal cookie?

What if I eat oatmeal with blueberries, sweetened with brown sugar, 2 eggs, and toast with butter for breakfast. Is that unhealthy?

Last weekend I made a cast iron skillet blueberry crumble that included fresh blueberries, sugar, butter, oatmeal, and flour. Unhealthy? Because sugar, butter and flour?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Can you please provide a link to any thread where a poster advised someone to "stuff their face with all sorts of junk food" to no consequence? I have been here 2.5 years and must have missed that one. Sorry.
  • coco_bee
    Options
    See what I mean? lol, toodle pip
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

I have never seen anyone say anything like that, except for when people are drumming up a straw man argument. Just because people say that you can have cookies, pizza or poptarts as a part of a healthy diet doesn't mean they are advocating eating nothing but cookies, pizza or poptarts, and it is disingenuous for you to suggest otherwise.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    OP asked why she got blasted and this is why, because some people think there is no such thing as unhealthy food
    But there really isn't. There are foods that are nutrient deficient, but that doesn't mean it's unhealthy. Look at water. Zero nutrients, but required for the body to operate efficiently. The problem here is that many people who are considered unhealthy, eat nutrient deficient food that's calorie dense the majority of the time. So the correlation is that the food is the issue they are unhealthy.
    But take someone who consumes the needed macro/micronutrients, stays within a calorie limit WHILE still having that nutrient deficient food and I doubt their health is impacted that much.
    Personally I have ice cream almost every night. For years. I don't stuff my face, I just have like a 1/4 cup. Hasn't affected my physical health, but it's kept my mental health (happy) intact.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Who has said this? Please cite and quote, or it will seem you are just making things up to insult people.