I called oatmeal cookies unhealthy and I got blasted - why?

Options

Replies

• quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    When I bake cookies, I halve the recipe and that keeps the number I eat completely under control. Of course, there are five kids and my husband in the house, so it's easy to divvy them up, send a few with my husband to take to work and only leave one or two for myself.

Otherwise, i would totally binge.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Did you know that Talento Caramel Apple Pie gelato is heart attack in a bowl? Be careful :(
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    jafa_bunz wrote: »
    They are like that in here. They think as long as u don't go over ur calorie limit, u can stuff ur face with all sorts of junkfood and never suffer any consequences ,even tho millions of people die everyday from heart attack or type 2 diabetes

Who has said this? Please cite and quote, or it will seem you are just making things up to insult people.
    Yea! Who said that?
    ny4ioft0cuof.jpg

pig.jpg 53.6K
  • emiliebecause
    emiliebecause Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    MFP has a... thing about this. I have never seen a diet and fitness site like this before. People get criticized for avoiding excess sugar, junk food, highly processed items, etc. I may very occasionally permit myself such an item, but I'm not going to pretend it's *healthy* AKA high in nutrients, because it isn't! Folks will equate the "processing" of placing fruit or vegetables in a bag with the processing of mashing things to a pulp, adding a ton of preservatives, artificial flavors and salt, and frying it. To avoid criticism, the only thing to do is to eat healthy for your own sake but never mention it anywhere but on your own home page. *smh*

Just to this post but I agree. It's a bit overdone. I mean I get it CICO CICO CICO however it is normal and healthy to look at what we are consuming and consider things like our arteries when making choices. I noticed it a lot from one poster in particular and then saw later that his caloric intake is supposed to be 4000/day so...um...people have different outlooks, experiences, and goals.
  • coco_bee
    coco_bee Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I wasn't trying to insult anyone as I have been insulted in the past. I cannot show u proof as these posts have long gone now. She asked a question and asked why so I told her why. If u want to take it personally, that is ur choice. Lighten up.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Did you know that Talento Caramel Apple Pie gelato is heart attack in a bowl? Be careful :(
    Right, everybody knows this, but it's worth it!

It's best to serve them with an angioplasty balloon catheter ...

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I wasn't trying to insult anyone as I have been insulted in the past. I cannot show u proof as these posts have long gone now. She asked a question and asked why so I told her why. If u want to take it personally, that is ur choice. Lighten up.

You were exaggerating and your post indicated that people who are currently here and not long gone say these things. If you're going to stimulate outrage, at least have the balls to stand up for your wild assertions.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Right, everybody knows this, but it's worth it!

It's best to serve them with an angioplasty balloon catheter ...

That never occurred to me. Nice!! Or an AED might come in handy,IDK.

Out the door to get me some ice cream.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    MFP has a... thing about this. I have never seen a diet and fitness site like this before. People get criticized for avoiding excess sugar, junk food, highly processed items, etc. I may very occasionally permit myself such an item, but I'm not going to pretend it's *healthy* AKA high in nutrients, because it isn't! Folks will equate the "processing" of placing fruit or vegetables in a bag with the processing of mashing things to a pulp, adding a ton of preservatives, artificial flavors and salt, and frying it. To avoid criticism, the only thing to do is to eat healthy for your own sake but never mention it anywhere but on your own home page. *smh*

Just to this post but I agree. It's a bit overdone. I mean I get it CICO CICO CICO however it is normal and healthy to look at what we are consuming and consider things like our arteries when making choices. I noticed it a lot from one poster in particular and then saw later that his caloric intake is supposed to be 4000/day so...um...people have different outlooks, experiences, and goals.

I consider nutrition and health when making choices. I don't see how the general position at MFP is against doing that at all. That people don't think all foods with butter are evil and should be avoided doesn't mean they think food choice doesn't matter, you know.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

You told her something that was untrue.
  • coco_bee
    coco_bee Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Did I say I agree or disagree with anything to do with healthy or unhealthy foods? No, so dont make assumptions. All I did was answer a simple question and now I'm the one who is getting blasted here. For some, ganging up on one person is considered as fun. My post wasnt for you judge and jury - it was for Charon the OP.
  • emiliebecause
    emiliebecause Posts: 63 Member
    Options

I consider nutrition and health when making choices. I don't see how the general position at MFP is against doing that at all. That people don't think all foods with butter are evil and should be avoided doesn't mean they think food choice doesn't matter, you know.
    I can't say it is a general position but it is one that comes across in the way some of the more prolific posters express themselves on the topic. For example, abruptly stating "CICO" without much context, to a newer poster who uses the word 'unhealthy' to describe food is going to come across as if nutrition doesn't matter. It's not a huge leap to make.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Did I say I agree or disagree with anything to do with healthy or unhealthy foods? No, so dont make assumptions. All I did was answer a simple question and now I'm the one who is getting blasted here. For some, ganging up on one person is considered as fun. My post wasnt for you judge and jury - it was for Charon the OP.

So you attributing fake statements to people is none of their business?
  • hannahkingfitness
    hannahkingfitness Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    They aren't exactly healthy but it isn't going to make you fat or put stress on your system by enjoying in moderation. In fact, Sometimes eating something that gives you pleasure is actually good for you because it relieves stresses. Moderation is the key. :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

I can't say it is a general position but it is one that comes across in the way some of the more prolific posters express themselves on the topic. For example, abruptly stating "CICO" without much context, to a newer poster who uses the word 'unhealthy' to describe food is going to come across as if nutrition doesn't matter. It's not a huge leap to make.

She does have a point. Just visit any of the sugar, junk food or clean eating threads..
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I try not to categorize specific foods as strictly healthy/unhealthy. The healthfulness of a particular food depends upon the person eating it. For example, a huge 1000 calorie milkshake would be incredibly unhealthy to a morbidly obese person. On the other hand, it would be healthy for an anorexic person. It's all about the big picture and your diet as a whole.