women discussion - .... :)

Options
Hi all,
i need to know the truth in womens TOTM do we honestly get more hungry, or is it all in our heads?, im trying not to cave but jesus its hard. what makes us more hungry? hormones? i am fine on 1750 a day normally but theres just that 1 weeek, where i really struggle. i do the TDEE method so i do not earn more calories to eat through exercise...

i wish i was a guy sometimes ha!

Replies

• Versacam
    Versacam Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I get hungry before mine starts, once it starts I seem okay.

I also wish I was a man, lol.

I also get 2 days of feeling so slim and not bloated right at the end of my period.. it's so glorious but only lasts 2 days and then I feel bloated again for the rest of the month... wahhhhh! :neutral:
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I don't get hungrier, but I do crave greasier foods.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    It's hormones. It majorly sucks. My dad is an *kitten* for giving me this monthly Curse.

I don't get hungry, but I do gain 2-3# and get very b1tchy about the weight gain without eating over my calories.
  • kcn2bluesky
    kcn2bluesky Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I never paid much attention to when/why I was more hungry a few extra days a month until I started using MFP to lose about 20 pounds. I've been logging all my food and workouts for 110 days, and I've definitely noticed a trend about 7 to 10 days before my cycle. For those days where I'm extra hungry, I eat extra to stave off the hunger. I stay away from eating junk food though, and have extra snacks such as baby carrots, a Quest bar, an apple, etc. My weight loss is continuing in a steady downward trend and isn't hampered by eating a little bit more on a few days of the month.
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone, it to is a few days before i actually begin TOTM then like you say it disappears, omg i love that feeling of empytiness a few days after it all ends ha were all the same then!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Hormonal changes across the cycle can cause variations in metabolism which can affect hunger. If you struggle for one week then why not have a smaller deficit for those days.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It's hormones, it's normal and it will pass.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    i get slightly more hungry.. i bloat alot and crave more chocolate & cakes than usual
  • whiteblossom14
    whiteblossom14 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I am on the injection so don't get totm. But I still feel fat once a month( maybe cause I am lol) but fatter than normal I want to eat sweet things and do cause I just have too. But I tend to go up 2lbs then back down just as quick.
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    i gained 2lbs last saturday there is no explanantion for it apart from hormones so im trying not to worry about it, its nearly been a week and no sign however i know its coming .. maybe my gain was ovulation as i know my body can jump with that too
  • parfia
    parfia Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I was absolutely ravenous last Friday. I didn't given in but still gained half a pound! TOTM is this week and weighed myself yesterday and I've lost that half a pound and another 3, so there are some things to be thankful for from Aunt Flow apparently!!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Some do some don't

I do generally

It's not a biggie

I accommodate it, log it and move on
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    My dad is an *kitten* for giving me this monthly Curse.
    Huh? :|
  • leahcollett1
    Options

i think she means that men are responsible for creating an x or y chromosone when your a little bean :)
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options

i think she means that men are responsible for creating an x or y chromosone when your a little bean :)

Oh right. Lol
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options
    I have found that when I'm heavier, I get hungry in the day or two before my period.
    But when I am lighter, I don't.

There seems to be a cut-off point ... above that = ravenous and wanting to clean out the fridge ... below that = no difference from normal.

Happily, I seem to have crossed that line now. My last couple periods have been fine ... no additional hunger.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I get ravenous the week before my period (typically starts with ovulation). It goes away on the second day of my period, typically, then I'm totally fine for 2 weeks. Sure, I get hungry, but it's not a big deal and I can ignore it. Just can't ignore it during PMS or I go completely crazy (I get the shakes and I get dizzy, nauseous and whatnot). It's so bad that I typically undo 2 weeks of deficit, so if I have a special event or anything that makes me go over during the 'good' weeks, I will gain weight that month. I went in vacations during my good weeks last month and wasn't able to keep a deficit and ended up gaining 2 pounds that month (lost one. Somehow).

But it's just got worse as I got smaller for me. I remember that hunger before I lost weight, but it was very rare (I remember eating a whole box of pasta with a whole jar of sauce to make it go away though). It didn't bother me while I was losing (THANKFULLY). Now it's every time. So I've basically been maintaining for a year because of it (3-4 pounds from goal weight).

Frustrating doesn't even cover it. My GYN said the BC pill can help (I think it used to make it worse for me), or Prozac, but that's about it.

So yeah, you're not alone, and I'm close to ovulation and it started last night... I was able to have two good weeks this time and have enough deficit to lose 1 pound, we'll see how much of that I undo next week... *sigh*

I unfortunately haven't found anything that stops the symptoms and I've tried pretty much everything (filling up on low calorie foods, eating big meals, eating small meals, magnesium pills...). The only thing that helps is carbs (not sweets, but bread, pizza, pasta, cereal etc) but it doesn't last. Still waiting for a magic solution, lol.
  • rats2010
    rats2010 Posts: 79 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    It hit me last night wanting pizza... so today I added extra exercise to help make up for the calories. My cycles are irregular at best and diet/exercise changes are really throwing me off. *sigh* It will be worth it in the end.
  • Stressedby8
    Stressedby8 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm with you! It also takes longer for us ladies to loose the weight! My husband just says "I need to lose 5 lbs" and voila, 5 lbs gone lol.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'm with you! It also takes longer for us ladies to loose the weight! My husband just says "I need to lose 5 lbs" and voila, 5 lbs gone lol.

Well, not really. We just have more issues with water retention, and we can eat less than men to maintain, but with the same deficit, we'll lose as fast as them, it's just that with portions being similar (nothing comes in 'man' or 'woman' size when it comes to food, lol), we have to be more careful to eat less.

But it's the same with smaller people. With the same logic, it's easier for taller people to lose weight, because their metabolism is higher... but I'm assuming that men and taller people have bigger appetites too, so no, it's not 'easier' for them to lose weight.