Trainer says not to start lifting.... Recommends boot camp style workouts

Options
Hi all,
I met with a trainer last week. After reading a lot of information about lifting programs.. I decided to get " the new rules of lifting for women". I was wound right up, and brought it along to my first session with my new " trainer" at this new super convenient gym close to home.
I showed him what I wanted to try, and brought my new book along.
He said, it's pretty outdated. And then suggested I do the boot camp sessions that they have 3x per week ( 1 hour classes). He said, first try these for 4 weeks and then we can talk again in a month to see about switching it up after that.
So I went ahead and tried the boot camp class. It completely kicked my butt. we completed a list of 20 things like (15 burpees, lunge walking the length of gym & back with 30 lbs, squat presses with 30 lbs, Russian twists, sprinting, ab wheels, etc, etc)
What I'd like to ask is this.... Do you think it's more beneficial to start lifting after you're more fit?
I've got about 30 lbs to lose.

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Your trainer is an idiot.

Get a new one.

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why your trainer suggested this. It sounds backwards.
    Do you have an injury or medical condition that you haven't mentioned? ( you do not have to disclose that info unless you want to )

If you have no medical reason why you shouldn't lift right now, then I would fire your trainer and go ahead and begin that program. I've done it myself. Its great
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    The sooner you start lifting, the better! CPT here lol
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I agree that there is no point in waiting to start lifting if that is where your interest and enthusiasm is. I personally like to combine the two. I weight train 3 times a week and do boot camp style classes once or twice a week. I consider them my cardio. I have been doing this for over 2 years though. I started with the classes but only because weight training hadn't occuted to me at that point.
    My advice is to do whatever exercise you want to do - whatever you think you'll most enjoy and stick with.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    There's probably nothing wrong with the boot camp classes, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a bit of a profit motive there. You're paying for the classes, I assume. Once he trains you on the lifts, I'm sure he's anticipating that you won't have as much need for him.

This is likely the reason. Another possibility is that the trainer doesn't know how to lift, but it's likely about money. A lot of trainers seem reluctant to instruct people how to be self-sufficient at working out.
  • Galonamission81
    Galonamission81 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Well I'm thinking the class is good for me .. And it will definitely help to get me fit. Maybe I'll buy the equipment necessary and try lifting at home in a months time!
  • Galonamission81
    Options
    Thanks all. I really appreciate the input!!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Well I absolutely love my Boot Camp classes - they whoop my a@@ something fierce. But if I am honest with myself - some heavy lifting would get me more of the look I'd like to achieve. I just like the classes so much I hate to give them up and by doing the classes I'm lacking the time to do the other stuff. Plus Boot Camp forces me to work hard for an entire hour and left to my own devices I'm kinda a slacker.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    What are your goals? Are they more focused on overall fitness and weight loss or on building strength? It's likely your trainer made that suggestion based on that.

You could do both. I lift 5 days a week (though not always heavy compound lifts) and do HIIT/boot camp/running classes 4 days a week.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    there's nothing wrong with boot camp style classes...every so often I switch my lifting routine to reflect more of a "boot camp" workout when I'm truly training for endurance and stamina for riding events...I focus more on traditional lifting when I'm just riding, but not really training for anything.

You should probably approach this from a fitness goal aspect...you're going to achieve completely different things from a fitness aspect with lifting vs boot camp classes, etc.
  • Galonamission81
    Options
    Well I absolutely love my Boot Camp classes - they whoop my a@@ something fierce. But if I am honest with myself - some heavy lifting would get me more of the look I'd like to achieve. I just like the classes so much I hate to give them up and by doing the classes I'm lacking the time to do the other stuff. Plus Boot Camp forces me to work hard for an entire hour and left to my own devices I'm kinda a slacker.

Oh I think you and I have a lot in common. I definitely thought the class was good for keeping me motivated! I worked so hard I was about 5 mins from throwing up! Lol. I would never push myself like that!!! I felt like the fat kid in gym class which was humbling, to say the least.
    As much as I'd love to try the weights.. Being a busy mom of 2 little ones only allows me a very early morning workout. And because this gym is the only one close to home... The boot camps are the option that might work best. I'm going to keep my eye out for some equipment to lift at home.
  • Galonamission81
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    What are your goals? Are they more focused on overall fitness and weight loss or on building strength? It's likely your trainer made that suggestion based on that.

You could do both. I lift 5 days a week (though not always heavy compound lifts) and do HIIT/boot camp/running classes 4 days a week.

I would say I'm definitely looking to lose fat. I've been a yo-yo queen my entire adult life and while I was always able to " lose weight" by drastically cutting my calories to 1200. My new goal is to stop the insanity of yo-yo'ing and get back to being fit and being strong! Eating clean, and stopping myself from the notion of getting to ideal weight like a mountain climb; reaching the summit... And jumping off to do it all over again!

So, to answer your question... I want to be overall fit, lose this excess weight and build strength! But I know the biggest hurdle is creating a plan that I can stick with! Maybe constantly switching it up, is the key I'm looking for!

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Saying it's pretty outdated is being disingenuous. The movements in NR have been done since the beginning of weight lifting for health and fitness and are staples for most programs today.
    There's nothing wrong with doing both at the same time if you can handle it.
    Personally I have my clients start with lifting to build a base. I've seen people who come in sedentary and then try to start off with BC right off the bat and their form is horrible. Chances of injury and bad habits of form are higher too. I'd rather work on form first, build a strength foundation, then ease them into more challenging fitness options.
    IMO, it's like throwing someone out in a race car instead of a regular car when learning.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Trainer might not even be familiar with the book. Trainers have different preferences and tendencies for many reasons, not just profit. You can start lifting at any time, you just need a program that geared to your level and progresses you appropriately. Why not do both boot camp and lifting/strength training?
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I've been doing boot camp style classes for about 3 years now. I absolutely love them. I consider them cardio also. They have definitely helped me get more fit and strong. However...I am now outgrowing them in terms of progressing. So I've just started lifting. I think they both have a place in a good workout regimen.
  • RoadtotheRAN
    RoadtotheRAN Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Bootcamp is great, but lifting also has great benefits, why not do both
  • aDivingBelle
    aDivingBelle Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Saying it's pretty outdated is being disingenuous. The movements in NR have been done since the beginning of weight lifting for health and fitness and are staples for most programs today.
    Personally I have my clients start with lifting to build a base. I've seen people who come in sedentary and then try to start off with BC right off the bat and their form is horrible. Chances of injury and bad habits of form are higher too. I'd rather work on form first, build a strength foundation, then ease them into more challenging fitness options.
    IMO, it's like throwing someone out in a race car instead of a regular car when learning.

This exactly. Learn some basic moves, get a good foundation and then add in boot camp. I am doing NR and I don't find it out dated. I've gained a lot of strength in just three weeks. If buddy won't take a few sessions to help you with form and then set you free, he's just a money grubber and he doesn't deserve your business.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This is really the most important point. Lifting builds the base so that you can be more effective in a boot camp class.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    There's probably nothing wrong with the boot camp classes, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a bit of a profit motive there. You're paying for the classes, I assume. Once he trains you on the lifts, I'm sure he's anticipating that you won't have as much need for him.

Lol at switching a client from one on one to boot camp for profit motives. Double lol at that trainer saying NROL is outdated. As if lifts go out of style like the lapels on men's suits
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

Lol at switching a client from one on one to boot camp for profit motives. Double lol at that trainer saying NROL is outdated. As if lifts go out of style like the lapels on men's suits

Boot camp classes in perpetuity v. one-on-one for a couple weeks til she learns the lifts. Really that farfetched? Especially when it explains why he would make the latter statement?

1. He doesn't get paid a percentage of the profits from the boot camp
    2. There's no guarantee of payments in perpetuity from boot camp goers
    3. Training is likely $60-80 per session. Boot camp is $10-15. Even if he got her to only agree to 1 session a week he's ahead of boot camp monies....if he even got a percentage of the boot camp. And at a place like 24 Hour Fitness the group classes are free so there's no money
    4. If he's worth a damn as a trainer* it's not hard to convince a potential client that at minimum a one month investment in training is a good idea to get the form and concepts down.** From there there's no reason to think that he might not convert her into an long term client.
    5. Think about it in terms of pure economics for yourself. Would you try to convert her to a 2-3 month training package for $1500-2400 paid immediately or would you, for profit motives, not even try that route and instead try to convince her to pay $150 for boot camp and then pray that she stays for 10 months so you can squeak out that same $1500? If I was a trainer I know which way I'd hope the client accepted.

*he's not. Lol@outdated lifts and routines.

**it's not hard because it's the truth