Men of the forum: Do you use pretty ladies as inspiration?

Options
124»

Replies

• myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    When I was younger: yes, absolutely.

In fact the reason I started weigh training and rowing at 17 was to get in shape to get a girl.

The sad thing? I can't even remember her name now. The good thing? It started a life long romance with weights which continues to this day...
  • LandonRand
    LandonRand Posts: 166
    Options
    It doesn't hurt. :)
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Men of the forum: Do you use pretty ladies as inspiration?

Of course, but that isn't what has motivated me to be healthier. It is just nice to believe, no matter how unrealistic, that they would admire my body or fitness. It does help drive me a bit.

Funny story about that. I work at a college so there is no shortage of beautiful girls with amazing bodies. I run the bleachers here and I usually see a few out there as well. So I was running up once following two amazingly fit young ladies and they were HAULIN' up the stairs. I was doing my best to keep up with their pace. So we finishe a few sets and I said, "Wow. You two are doing great. Heckuva pace." The one girl giggled and the other says, "You did great for an old guy". So no matter how good of shape I get in, it isn't like I am gettign younger. lol.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    I've gotten compliments for the majority of my life, so not as much any more. My inspiration is more intrinsic and more about what I can do physically for myself (IE, jump higher, run faster, or hit harder) and achievement. Hell if you stay fit for your own personal reasons, you'll always look pretty good.
    I still get a good ego stroke though when a female squeezes on my arm and ooohs.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    My wife is an inspiration. If she can get that buff without testosterone, what's my excuse? Granted, she has been doing this for eight years and I barely got five months, but still... At least my arms aren't smaller than hers anymore and I have eclipsed her upper body strength...

My primary motivation is different though, it's much stronger than vanity.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I'd be lying if I said there wasn't an element of that...but definitely not as much as there used to be. Definitely vanity was my primary motivator when I was in my teens and twenties. I'm pushing 40 now, married, two kids, etc. My motivation these days tend towards improving race times...getting stronger and faster, etc. I also want to be fit enough to enjoy playing with my kids and going on hiking expeditions and what not when they're a little older
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I workout to FEEL good. I could careless how 'good' I look...for me or for anyone else