FISH

Options
13»

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    Wild salmon is your best bet for "overall" health, but if you're not a fish person anyway, you'll probably hate it.

Wild caught bluegill, black bass, crappie, walleye, speckled trout, flounder, snapper, grouper, striped bass, white bass, hybrid striped bass, or yellow perch would be your best bets...

• tricielv
    tricielv Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Tried a fish taco lately? ...make with your favorite ingredients. I used white corn tortillas, kale greens, Romaine lettuce leaves, cilantro, tomatoe wedges or slices, semi homemade salsa aioli, and a squeeze of lemon juice on top.

I recently made one using some Wild caught Alaskan pollock. It's in the cod family. It's not my favorite but great for low calorie, low fat fish. It takes on the flavor introduced. I pan seared it until a nice brown crusty look forms on both sides in a pan coated with nonfat Extra Virgin Olive oil spray. I seasoned it with onion & garlic powder, Himalayan pink sea salt, crushed red pepper, crushed black pepper. It will fall apart if rough handled.

That's what I used. Make it your own.
  • melodicraven
    melodicraven Posts: 83 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Mmmm fish. Five generations of commercial fishermen in the family means I was practically raised on the stuff. Fish is super versatile. Fry it, add it to gumbo, bake it with lemon, there's a lot you can do with it.

A word of advice though, since you're someone who doesn't eat it or buy it very often. If it smells "fishy" - like tuna out of the can fishy - that means it's not fresh. Fresh fish should have almost no smell at all, and just a briny light scent if anything. And it should always feel firm, never slimy-ish, that's another sign that it's old and not very fresh. The eyes are another giveaway, if you're buying the kind with the little heads still on, the eyes should be nice and round, not caved in or sunken. If they are - pass on it and get another kind.

Maybe some of these will sound good to you.

http://www.theloop.ca/fish-recipes-for-people-who-hate-fish/

Good eating. :)
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Op, if the goal is to lower cholesterol, you cannot fry fish and you cannot mix it with other seafood, because you are defeating the whole purpose of eating fish. It also is not a matter of eating any fish, you need specific types of fish, specifically fatty fish. You can google it, but the ones I remember are sardines, salmon, tuna, trout, halibut. Grilled, baked, or in soup. Not fried, not in heavy sauce, sorry.
    The simplest for someone who does not like fish is to get fish fillets and cook them in a non-stick skillet with lots of spices. Of the fish above, if you do not like fish, I would go for halibut, it is the one with the milder taste and smell.
  • cronus70
    cronus70 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I like fish but stay away from stronger 'sea' tasting fish, i dislike cod immensely (which is considered blasphemy here in the UK) but i do like Haddock. Salmon is ok but can't eat a lot of it. My fav personally is Hake.