How do Often do you weight yourself?

Options
I'm looking to buy a scale..I only weight myself at the Dr office and often I'm too scarred to look.but I finally got courage to buy a scale and start weighing myself at hone ..how often and what time of day do you weight yourself?

Replies

• ashley1401
    ashley1401 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what you do. If you are consistent with how you diet/exercise then first thing before any consumption is fine

I tend to do once a week as one day I can spend 2hours at the gym but then nothing for a few days. Works for me
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Daily. The key is to not pay any attention to the daily results. I take those daily results than average them at the end of the week. Then, after a month, I compare the weekly averages and can see an accurate trend of what my weight is doing. Taking weekly weigh ins and trying to do the same is FAR less telling of your actual progress. If you weigh in on a "light" day (low sodium, glycogen depleted) then a week later you happen to pick a "heavy" day you might think you're eating too much, when in reality, you are right on track. For that reason, I'll continue to step on that scale each and every day. Again the key is to pay no attention to the day to day fluctuations. You way daily to track trends, not unimportant fluctuations.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    3x daily. Once before bed. Once when I first get up. Once after the bathroom break and before I eat or drink anything. I note them on the back of junk mail to feel more green by recycling dead trees. :)

I also blow in a $15 breath analyzer off ebay to check to see if I am blowing any acetone to confirm I am or am not staying in nutritional ketosis. Any positive reading lets me know I have kept my carbs to <50 grams in the last 24 hours.

As long as pounds and acetone levels are as I expect them to be I am good to go. If not I have to do some calorie and carb counting to do.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @cindyvalle12 below is the set and where I got it for around $30. I like its ability to tell me how many calories I need to eat to lose to my goal (about 2600 daily now) and makes a consistent estimation of my body fat %, hydration level and BMI.

walmart.com/ip/14706457?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227000513232&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40871960192&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78764493152&veh=sem
  • shootergirlnc
    shootergirlnc Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning, but I also take my measurements every couple of weeks. I don't like going by only numbers on a scale.
  • VictoriaGundel
    VictoriaGundel Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I actually never weight myself. To me the number doesn't matter, I just care about feeling good in my own skin
  • StayThirstyMan
    StayThirstyMan Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Daily but only really consider the total at the end of the week. Water weight is too.....let's say fluid.
  • lc355
    lc355 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Several times a day, I find it fascinating. My lowest is when I first get up in the morning and this is the one that I record if there have been any changes. During the day my weight increases and is at its highest when I go to bed. Then, it is down again when I weigh in the morning (after I've used the toilet). I like seeing the daily fluctuations and I don't fret if I'm a bit heavier one morning than I was the day before, in fact my weight loss pattern seems to be that I'll lose two days close together and then nothing for a fortnight and then suddenly lose two days close together again. I only record weight loss when I've dropped 2lb because my scales are old cheap ones with a pin that wavers a bit. I think because of that I don't notice the subtler changes within 2lb. I might treat myself to some nice electronic ones. If I weighed only once a week then it might appear that I lost nothing whereas if I weighed the next day it would be down.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Every morning, however, the only weigh in that counts is Saturday morning when I do my official one. Your weight will fluctuate daily depending on what you ate the day before (carbs holds onto water, so do salt, time of the month a lot of women can easily put on up to 7lbs of water weight, and hydration levels) My scales are electronic.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    How do Often do you weight yourself?
    Only when I SCUBA dive.
    And I haven't done that for a long time, so my weight belt will be off. Grrr...
    Have to budget extra time up front to adjust it.

But OP, your ticker shows you only want to lose 10 lb.
    That's going to go slowly. Even more so if you're already at a healthy weight.
    So if you plan to _weigh_ yourself (which seems to be what you're asking about) it would make sense
    to only do it once a week, maybe every 10 days. Don't make yourself nuts with daily numbers.
  • newlifeme2014
    newlifeme2014 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Working in family and internal medicine, patients would come in and say "wow, I lost 4 lbs since yesterday!" When really it's just water weight. You can fluctuate in water weight lbs every day, not fat, just water. So we'd explain to our patients that if you really want to see if you're losing weight and track it, go by your measurements in clothing. Get a tape measure and measure your waist, thighs, arms, etc. yea it's a lil more work but with the weight you gain in muscle and lose in water, a scale just isn't accurate. I only weight myself like once every month or so. Jmo.
  • Shawna0427
    Shawna0427 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Every morning but only log on Sunday's. I like to see how my choices the day before affect the scale.
  • derekspiewak
    derekspiewak Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    The real answer: you can weigh yourself as often as you want as long as you ONLY pay attention to the long-term trend, and understand that short-term fluctuations mean nothing.

My answer for you: once a week. If you were good at analyzing long-term trends, you never would have gotten overweight in the first place. Once a week keeps you from expecting too much too soon, and it keeps you from obsessing about day-to-day changes that aren't statistically meaningful. And I guarantee that there are experienced and very fit people here who do the same.
  • JessicaB523
    JessicaB523 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Personally, I do better when I weigh daily. Or at least every day I am home in the morning.

I have a Withings scale that automatically syncs with MFP. It helps me to see that even though there are daily or weekly fluctuations, the trend line is doing what I want. I need that visual.
  • scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Depends on you but I find daily is a good way to see how much your weigh fluctuates with sodium levels, exercise, hormones etc. however some people find that really off putting to see a 1lb loss one day and a 3lb again the next. I recommend measuring too as it's another good indicator of loss if the scales aren't budging much.
  • Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every monday when I first wake up.
  • Osiris275
    Osiris275 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Once a week on Sunday mornings works best for me. Any more frequently and I feel like I'm not losing anything and get down about it. Once a week I can see a significant difference (usually!) and it makes me feel good.
  • SaffronSunrise
    SaffronSunrise Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I used to only weigh myself every 2-3 weeks because I didn't have a scale. I bought one Friday so I've started weighing every day in the morning. I was planning on waiting until I got closer to goal before weighing daily, but decided I may as well get used to the fluctuations while I'm losing fairly easy.
  • Wildstorms
    Wildstorms Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Daily. Then I load the results into the Happy Scale app and it smooths out the trend. I like to learn about the weight fluctuations - I put on a lot of weight when I 'ditched the scale', so I'm not doing that again! Turns out I can put on a lot of weight before my clothes start to get tight...
  • nicediva007
    nicediva007 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily before consumption in the mornings. I personally like to track my weight in comparison to what I eat. I like data ;)

I don't really put a lot of stock in my specific weights from day to day however since there are a lot of variables like fluid retention, etc. But I think it gives me insight as it helps me see trends in how my habits affect my body.

My measurement comparisons give me the real input on my progress though.