Does just immigrating to the USA lead to weight gain?

Options

Replies

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I immigrated from New Orleans, where you could walk lots of places, eat low-cal boiled crawfish, and had lots of parks, to a small town in North Carolina, where everywhere is two-lane highway and there aren't any nearby decent trails, and eventually gained nearly fifty pounds - was already ten pounds overweight when I arrived here. I finally knuckled down and joined the Y, where I learned about MFP, and am on my way down . . .
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    tomatoey wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    So is there something in the air, or culture, comforts, or availability of food, which creates undisciplined cretins in the US (and Canada)?

Post WW 2 prosperity & the timing of the development of our cities (ie around cars, once ppl had personal $ for that). Continual Sprawl since the 70s

That's the car bit (although Canadians always tell me they are much less car-dependent than Americans), but there's also the crazy portion size bit and the cultural changes (eating constantly vs. how it used to be, as detailed in a list upthread). I think part of that is much less of a tie to cultural traditions surrounding eating and the general individualistic culture.

But that's just my theory! ;-)

Agreed!!!

Yeah no we are just as bad as you guys, those ppl are lying

Have to agree with this - and the Canucks love to drink in volume, possibly only surpassed by the Scots and Aussies.

Do we? I guess so, Maybe younger ppl
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Everything I know about Canada I learned from Strange Brew!

(j/k, I've also seen all of Slings & Arrows, as we used to go to Stratford, ON every year.)
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Everything I know about Canada I learned from Strange Brew!

(j/k, I've also seen all of Slings & Arrows, as we used to go to Stratford, ON every year.)

Oh, nice :)

Yeah actually a lot of Strange Brew probably still applies :/
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    So is there something in the air, or culture, comforts, or availability of food, which creates undisciplined cretins in the US (and Canada)?

Post WW 2 prosperity & the timing of the development of our cities (ie around cars, once ppl had personal $ for that). Continual Sprawl since the 70s

That's the car bit (although Canadians always tell me they are much less car-dependent than Americans), but there's also the crazy portion size bit and the cultural changes (eating constantly vs. how it used to be, as detailed in a list upthread). I think part of that is much less of a tie to cultural traditions surrounding eating and the general individualistic culture.

Agreed!!!

Have to agree with this - and the Canucks love to drink in volume, possibly only surpassed by the Scots and Aussies.

Granted this would be my sample size of ~50 and mostly the Military and Mounties. Given my state whilst making said observations the quality of the sampling is lacking...and involved head butting - that I've never had explained to me.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Everything I know about the US I learned from cable television!
  • tomatoey
    Options

Agreed!!!

Granted this would be my sample size of ~50 and mostly the Military and Mounties. Given my state whilst making said observations the quality of the sampling is lacking...and involved head butting - that I've never had explained to me.

lol - oh wow, ok! I can't help w that one, sorry
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    odd both sets of my grandparents immigrated to Canada and they are both thin or average weight still
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Ha!
    Map_of_world_by_beer_consumption.png
  • jgnatca
    edited August 2015
    Options
    The solution is simple...
    2000px-Alcohol_control_in_the_United_States.svg.png

Free beer for everyone!

P.S. I should have explained. Dry counties are red, mixed are yellow, and wet counties are blue.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Ha!
    Map_of_world_by_beer_consumption.png

Nice! I'm keeping this one in the bank!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    The people of the Czech Republic love their beer. I gotta go now. LOL
  • lemurcat12
    Options

But what channel?

I mean, are you imagining us as characters on The Wire or Real Housewives?
  • tomatoey
    Options

But what channel?

all of it at once

(off topic but <3<3<3 the wire, both before & after the hype)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

But what channel?

Or Biggest Loser, Jerry Springer or even Duck Dynasty?
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Agree with @tomatoey , all of it at once. Two Broke Girls, Two and a Half Men, Kim, Caitlyn, and Chelsea.
  • lemurcat12
    edited August 2015
    Options
    The solution is simple...
    2000px-Alcohol_control_in_the_United_States.svg.png

Free beer for everyone!

P.S. I should have explained. Dry counties are red, mixed are yellow, and wet counties are blue.

Chicago is yellow on the map, and the reason why is that (due to a state law passed in 1934) we can go dry by precinct, following a local referendum. The prior mayor used it a lot to get rid of problem bars and liquor stores, so there are a variety of dry precincts, mostly on the south side.

This may surprise you (not), but alcohol is not difficult to come by in Chicago despite this option.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

But what channel?

all of it at once

(off topic but <3<3<3 the wire, both before & after the hype)

Me too.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Our city tried to clean up our red district by offering free land for any church that wanted to build there. The result? Church street. It's still in the middle of our red district.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCauley,_Edmonton