Replies

• ashasphodel
    ashasphodel Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i'm in!
  • Lorelei1974
    Lorelei1974 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm in too, day 1 for me. I have done it before and I find I have better results in regards to my will power and weight loss when I don' eat after 7:30 pm.
  • madmish2
    madmish2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    i'm in, my biggest downfall is binge eating in the evening!
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    It doesn't really matter what time of day or night you eat, it's what you eat. I eat pretty much 6 am to nearly 10 at night.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Noelv1976 wrote: »
    It doesn't really matter what time of day or night you eat, it's what you eat. I eat pretty much 6 am to nearly 10 at night.

This is not accurate. The only thing that is required for weight loss is a calorie deficit. What you eat, and what time you eat, does not matter.

If people are prone to mindless snacking in the evenings and a policy of no eating after a certain time helps them stay in a calorie deficit, that's great. If eating certain foods, or cutting out other kinds of foods helps you stay in a calorie deficit, that's great too.

• keiranloucas
    keiranloucas Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I can try...
  • ConniMartin
    ConniMartin Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    What ever motivates people I will try, you sound like you want to diminish people and simple goals

Not at all. I'm in favor of whatever works for an individual to help meet his or her own goals. I was just curious about the motivation for why you believed this challenge was necessary or beneficial.

I'm not a fan of blanket statements like, "most people binge at night so we should all make a pact to not eat after a certain arbitrary time" because while that may be helpful for some people to have a challenge like that, for others, it may end up having the opposite effect. If they slip and have some ice cream after dinner one evening, they may think, "aw to heck with it, I already blew it so I might as well eat the entire pint".

Also, as stated earlier, meal timing has no direct link to weight loss, it is simply a matter of personal preference. If having a challenge like this helps people stay within their calorie deficit for the day and meet their goals, I think that's fantastic, but it's not better or going to have different results than people who maintain their calorie deficit and eat all hours of the day and night.

(Written as I pace in my basement because I'm behind on my steps for the FitBit challenge this week).

• ConniMartin
    Options
    All the negative response to this thread is mind blowing, if you don't like the Challenge then don't join, some people need help in their nightly eating. NOT FOR EVERYONE.
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options

This is not accurate. The only thing that is required for weight loss is a calorie deficit. What you eat, and what time you eat, does not matter.

If people are prone to mindless snacking in the evenings and a policy of no eating after a certain time helps them stay in a calorie deficit, that's great. If eating certain foods, or cutting out other kinds of foods helps you stay in a calorie deficit, that's great too.

You just repeated almost everything I just said. So what was not accurate about my comment? Besides me not adding calorie deficit.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

You just repeated almost everything I just said. So what was not accurate about my comment? Besides me not adding calorie deficit.

You said it's not what time you eat it's what you eat. What you eat doesn't matter either. All that matters for weight loss is a calorie deficit. Maybe that's what you meant, I thought you were saying the type of food matters. If not, sorry, my misunderstanding.
  • hospicehha1
    hospicehha1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    Looking for friends to join me and some others on a challenge till the New Year. No eating after 7:30. Help each other with accountability with positive attitudes and since of humor.
    deescrafty wrote: »
    I'm in. I noticed my blood sugars are better when I eat earlier in the evening and then stop. Looking forward to the challenge.

• hospicehha1
    hospicehha1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm a few days late, but I would love to join you all.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Well I work night shift, 7pm-7am so I guess I'm screwed
  • Monarose
    Monarose Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Different things work for different people. It may not be the science of weight loss but individual motivators that help people. If it's not a challenge for you, don't let it bother you that it is for others. And I've been so busy I forgot that I wanted to do this. Starting again tonight.
  • pollychoudhery
    pollychoudhery Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would like to try...having a tough time with accountability since I live alone. How's everyone going with the challange so far?
  • ConniMartin
    Options
    So far I think most are doing well.
  • ConniMartin
    Options
    How's everyone doing on the challenge?
  • Lorelei1974
    Lorelei1974 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Day 4 and I find doing this challenge is really helping me with will power/ self control. I am happy I saw this challenge because I've also lost 2 pounds!! I feel less bloated and noticed my belly went down a bit and I can tuck in my gut better. Lol!