Never ever eat after this time.

Options
13»

Replies

• mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Many Europeans, including myself, eat after 8pm...and I've lost 20 lb and maintained for ages.
  • glitzy196
    glitzy196 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I am eating out of sheer..i love food. Its weird, i wake up and go to the bathroom. .them i have a drink of water, and its a 50/50 crap shoot if i will go to bed, or to the kitchen. Its like im on auto pilot. I know im not hungry. I even try and talk myself out of it. And when i do force myself to go to bed i can't slerp because i am thinking about my slice of cheese. Its stupid. I did it when i was little from about 5 to 10. I was a,pretty bad sleep walker, and my mom would find me in the kitchen a lot, or even just sitting...in the fridge.

I thought i outgrew it..but during my 1st pregnancy (he is 6 now) i woke up and caught myself stuffing my face. It seemed to stop, abs b then start back up wgen i was pregnant with my now 3 year old..i kinda think my body knows im on a deficit and is trying to compensate for it.

However, i rarely eat breakfast, i eat cereal every morning, but usually not untill 11 or 12. I get up at 6 am. Im just not hungry in the morning.

But..i think im fine.
  • glitzy196
    glitzy196 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    So my whole life people have said, "Don't eat after 8" or "eat and wait 4 hours to go to bed" or "never get a midnight snack". So we've all heard these phrases and I'm sure many more. My question is, if I eat at night and stay within my calorie deficit, will I gain weight? Does late night eating do anything at all if you don't go over your calories for the day? Trying to weed out all the false information I've grown up on.

Thanks all!

The best luck I've ever had losing weight was not eating past 5 o'clock! It really helps drop weight, I always recommend it to friends when they ask how I lost weight.. Plus to me, I felt better in the morning

The only way i could not eat after 5 is if i went to bed at 6. I don't even get off work until 6, drive home fix dinner..its 7:30. Then there is st least 1 snack. But i dint go to bed until 11 or 12.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    glitzy196 wrote: »
    I am a middle of the night eater. I go to be around 11, and wake up at like 3 am at least 2 or 3 nights a week and eat. I just do. Its weird.

You really, really, really need to break the habit. It won't make you gain weight if it's within your allowance,but it's very unhealthy.

Recently, research is telling us more and more that it's vital to give your digestion a long break from eating overnight. That's when your body heals and recovers from the stresses and strains of the day - physical and mental - and if you feed it food during that time, the recovery just doesn't happen. The longer a break you can have from food overnight, the healthier you will be.

Two things can make you hungry during the night - one is sheer habit, the other is that you're not hungry, you're thirsty (it's often hard to tell the difference). So always have a drink first and wait a few minutes before you give in to midnight snacks.

I heard about a study that showed mice are healthier if their access to food is severely restricted and would be interested in seeing recent studies on meal timing and health for humans, although this interest would be purely academic as I wouldn't apply it to myself.

I have a tiny bladder due to a uterine fibroid and have to be very careful about consuming water after dinner or my bladder will wake me up at night. (I do get plenty of fluid, but earlier in the day.)

If I don't get enough to eat before bed, hunger will wake me up.

Interrupted sleep is very detrimental to my weight loss - I crave carbs and am not motivated to exercise. Sure, I can force myself, but I'm better off doing what I need to do to ensure a good night's sleep.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    When I found out meal timing didn't matter, 10 pounds seriously just fell off me. It was wonderful. I always save myself 300 calories for a nighttime snack before bed and sometimes I don't even get to them so I get even more a deficit... it's absolutely wonderful.

Ya, simple carbs make me sleepy so I budget calories for them for a nightime snack. Knowing I have them to look forward to makes them easier to resist during the day. And sometimes I don't get to them either.

• mmutluaydin
    mmutluaydin Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    All of the comments I read is similar and everyone is right. When you take your calories does not matter at all as long as you make calorie deficit in 24 hours. It all depends on your lifestyle.

We can not just say that people should not eat after certain time. Some people go to bed at 10 pm and some others 3 am

Some people get results when they don't eat after certain time because they are mainly used to eating unhealthy food when they watch TV in the evening. When you make a habit of not eating in the evening, you basically are intermittent fasting and abstain from blank calories.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    From my research on this it's not what time you eat but what you eat, common sense and the same rule that applies to eating through the day. If you eat healthy foods or low calorie snacks you will continue to loose weight weather you eat them at 1 in the afternoon or 1 in the morning.

Actually, what you eat doesn't matter, either, as long as you are in a deficit. You can eat whatever you like, at any time you like, as long as it fits within your goals for the day. A calorie is just a calorie, no matter what time of the day it is.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I really look forward to my evening snack most nights, tucked up in bed, with a decaf coffee whilst watching Netflix. Happily my weight remains stable, and a healthy number.

I find that my longer runs are much faster and less of a chore if I have a good snack before going to sleep the night before.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I lost all my weight eating dinner usually between 9 and 10. I work late.

If I had some rule about not eating after 6 or even 8, I guess I just wouldn't get to have dinner. Super.

If eating late bothers you or your ability to sleep or leads to snacking in a way that causes you to go over calories, don't, but this old wives tale about eating late causing weight gain is one of the more annoying bits of weight loss lore.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,620 Member
    Options
    So my whole life people have said, "Don't eat after 8" or "eat and wait 4 hours to go to bed" or "never get a midnight snack". So we've all heard these phrases and I'm sure many more. My question is, if I eat at night and stay within my calorie deficit, will I gain weight? Does late night eating do anything at all if you don't go over your calories for the day? Trying to weed out all the false information I've grown up on.

Thanks all!

The best luck I've ever had losing weight was not eating past 5 o'clock! It really helps drop weight, I always recommend it to friends when they ask how I lost weight.. Plus to me, I felt better in the morning
    It's usual to lose weight if you fast about 12hours regardless of what time you start. What time is your first meal?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,620 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    glitzy196 wrote: »
    I am a middle of the night eater. I go to be around 11, and wake up at like 3 am at least 2 or 3 nights a week and eat. I just do. Its weird.

You really, really, really need to break the habit. It won't make you gain weight if it's within your allowance,but it's very unhealthy.

Recently, research is telling us more and more that it's vital to give your digestion a long break from eating overnight. That's when your body heals and recovers from the stresses and strains of the day - physical and mental - and if you feed it food during that time, the recovery just doesn't happen. The longer a break you can have from food overnight, the healthier you will be.

Two things can make you hungry during the night - one is sheer habit, the other is that you're not hungry, you're thirsty (it's often hard to tell the difference). So always have a drink first and wait a few minutes before you give in to midnight snacks.

I heard about a study that showed mice are healthier if their access to food is severely restricted and would be interested in seeing recent studies on meal timing and health for humans, although this interest would be purely academic as I wouldn't apply it to myself.
    The prison system restricts access to food. And the food isn't quality either. Funny that with all the hoopla from "naturalists" saying that processed and low nutrient/quality foods eaten over a period time would lead to early demise, inmates don't seem to be suffering from early death rates from diet.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    From my research on this it's not what time you eat but what you eat, common sense and the same rule that applies to eating through the day. If you eat healthy foods or low calorie snacks you will continue to loose weight weather you eat them at 1 in the afternoon or 1 in the morning.

Actually, what you eat doesn't matter, either, as long as you are in a deficit. You can eat whatever you like, at any time you like, as long as it fits within your goals for the day. A calorie is just a calorie, no matter what time of the day it is.

576c695008fa9935cdf4ab27721e21abda0513d59c9db9068b4ad7e1da806584.jpg
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I lost an average of 2lbs a week for over 4 months eating 320 calories right before I went to sleep. I am hungrier in the late afternoon and evening so that is when I eat the most calories. It doesn't matter when you eat, it is how much. Our bodies have magnificent mechanisms that even things out over a period of 24 hours or more with no ill effects. Eat when you are hungry just keep it within your calorie goal.
  • MrsCaitlinBeltran
    MrsCaitlinBeltran Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I really don't think it matters when you eat as long as you're staying within your calorie range. Everyone is different, so you have to do what works best for you. Personally, I don't eat anything after 7pm because I have a sensitive stomach and need that break from food, but if I didn't have any issues I'd definitely be a late night snacker, lol. Forget about rules and Just do you! :)
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I was told by my dietitian that calories can't tell time so it doesn't really make a difference when you eat them. The key is sticking to your daily goal.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options