40 in. waist for men really that bad?

Options
hey all,
Over the past year I've gained about 17 lbs and 8 inches on my waist. Last summer I turned 21. i was 5'10", 165 lb with a 33 in waist. Since, I've gone up to 182 lb with a 41 inch waist. Definitely from all of the drinking lol I've gained quite a little beer belly. But I read online that a waist of over 40 inches for a male can be seriously unhealthy. while I'm okay with my weight gain and don't mind it, is it anything to worry about?

Replies

• nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Men typically carry fat in their gut around their organs. Waist size regardless of bmi is linked to increased risk of diabetes. It is probably linked to other health problems, but diabetes alone was enough to get me working on reducing waist size.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    If you're really worried about your health, see a doctor for a routine check up that will probably include some lab work. Waist size by itself isn't an indicator of much.

I'm your height and 20 lbs heavier (203 lbs at the moment) with a 38" waist. By most medical standards, I'm pretty healthy; in fact my blood pressure made my lab tech jealous. However, I'm not you, and your mileage may vary.

Generally speaking, I'd suggest getting some regular exercise in 3 times/week or so, eating a balanced diet most of the time, and seeing a doctor now and then.
  • yogacat13
    yogacat13 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    In general, everyone (men and women) should aim for a waist no larger than half their height : http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/849.aspx?CategoryID=51
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    You can draw a lot of correlations between waist lines > 40 and several health problems. This doesn't mean that if you get a waist > 40 that you will have healthy problems, just that the correlation exists. Like anything in life, it's a risk factor. Smoking won't automatically give you cancer, but we all know it increases the risk.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I will also say, however, that the fact that you're asking this question now is telling. You may wish that you had been more proactive once you gain another 50 or 100 lbs. It's easier to refocus in your mid 20s than it is in your mid 30s and 40s.

Like retirement investments, it's better to start early.
  • xKoalaBearx
    xKoalaBearx Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    You can draw a lot of correlations between waist lines > 40 and several health problems. This doesn't mean that if you get a waist > 40 that you will have healthy problems, just that the correlation exists. Like anything in life, it's a risk factor. Smoking won't automatically give you cancer, but we all know it increases the risk.
    EvanKeel wrote: »
    I will also say, however, that the fact that you're asking this question now is telling. You may wish that you had been more proactive once you gain another 50 or 100 lbs. It's easier to refocus in your mid 20s than it is in your mid 30s and 40s.

Like retirement investments, it's better to start early.

Like they said.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    mmm....are you a tiny bit worried that you gained 20 pounds in 1 year from drinking? (I take you at your word there.)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Without seeing pictures of you, but knowing that my fiance, who is about 40 pounds overweight and 8" taller than you, wears 38-40" pants, and that my ex, who is 6" taller than you, wore 36" pants when about 20 pounds overweight, I would say yes, at 5'10", a 41" waist means you should work on reducing it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Waist size doesn't actually cause disease, but it is associated with increased risk of disease because statistically people with bigger waists have higher incidence of disease. This is because behaviors such as overeating, drinking too much alcohol and not getting enough exercise are often the cause of the bigger waistline.

Your fast weight gain would be of most concern to me. That could indicate that you are also gaining visceral fat, which is dangerous.
  • doodle101
    doodle101 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    large abdominal circumference is associated with diabetes, metabolic syndrome, and increased risk of cancer. While you are ok with your weight gain, it is not worth the risks in my opinion
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I'm seven inches taller than you and I've been at a 40" waist before. Yeah, I would say that is something to worry about, especially for someone your height.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    By itself, it wouldn't mean anything. With the rest of your story, it's alarming. You've gained quite a bit of weight, and waist size, in a short amount of time, largely from alcohol consumption. The excess calories are what gained you the weight, which is bad enough, but that amount of drinking isn't so good for your liver or your heart, either.
    I'm guessing you already had an idea about all of this already. You're young, and it's an expected part of life, especially in our culture. You've had your fun, but it's time to cut back.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Now that I think about it, 5'10 182 lbs with a 41 inch waist doesn't seem right. I was over 300 lbs when I hit 40'. Grant it I am a bit taller than you, 6'1, but still. Did you measure yourself or is that just your jean size?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I'd worry about it and get working on it. It's just total fat and not healthy.

Best of luck
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    You've gained 8 inches and only 17 pounds? So every 2 pounds you had to buy new pants? Odd, at best.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Nothing you cannot undo in the next year. I'm never so concerned with the stats behind it - that nothing more than correlation, not causation. It's not the 40" waist that does you in, it's the daily habits you do that gets you to the 40" waist that will do you in.

You've put on a little over 1 lb/month in the last year. Just incorporate some portion control and exercise around your life and you'll be at 165 again in no time.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    As I guy who is 5"8" and got up to a 36" waist yes I'd say it was not a good feeling. It's not all about waist size and weight as I weighed more then and still do now than you do. You have to figure body fat into the figures. There is significant evidence that belly fat contributes to a number of health issues.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Gaining 17 lbs in a year is something to worry about. Gaining 17 lbs due to drinking beer is also something to be concerned about.
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    8 inches in one year is a lot! The size is somewhat worrying, but what is more concerning is the rate of gain. If you don't change your drinking habits it will only get worse. I hope the novelty of being 21 has worn off! If you want to drink, don't binge drink and fit it into your daily calories by eating a little less.