40 in. waist for men really that bad?

Options

Replies

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    Now that I think about it, 5'10 182 lbs with a 41 inch waist doesn't seem right. I was over 300 lbs when I hit 40'. Grant it I am a bit taller than you, 6'1, but still. Did you measure yourself or is that just your jean size?

Yeah, that doesn't really make sense. Are you sure of your weight and waist size? Are you oddly proportioned in some way?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I was a 42" waist when I started this crap. I am 6' tall. Yes, it's really that bad. Health effects aside, I promise you will feel better with a smaller waist.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'll see all you slackers' 40-something-when-I-started waist sizes and raise you. I started at 57". I'm now at 36. A 41" inch waist would seem problematic even at 6'9".

ETA: I can wear 34/40 Wranglers now, but not with an IWB holster (yet?), so I didn't buy them.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    <3 Tex...
  • Torontonius
    Torontonius Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Yes.

(to OP's question).
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I believe you should work on reducing.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    Little bit over average.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    You can draw a lot of correlations between waist lines > 40 and several health problems. This doesn't mean that if you get a waist > 40 that you will have healthy problems, just that the correlation exists. Like anything in life, it's a risk factor. Smoking won't automatically give you cancer, but we all know it increases the risk.
    This.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• FatOldManMN
    FatOldManMN Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    neeks325 wrote: »
    hey all,
    Over the past year I've gained about 17 lbs and 8 inches on my waist. Last summer I turned 21. i was 5'10", 165 lb with a 33 in waist. Since, I've gone up to 182 lb with a 41 inch waist. Definitely from all of the drinking lol I've gained quite a little beer belly. But I read online that a waist of over 40 inches for a male can be seriously unhealthy. while I'm okay with my weight gain and don't mind it, is it anything to worry about?

BS

• Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Why would a 40 inch waist be okay for a man ?
    92152203.png
  • neeks325
    neeks325 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Now that I think about it, 5'10 182 lbs with a 41 inch waist doesn't seem right. I was over 300 lbs when I hit 40'. Grant it I am a bit taller than you, 6'1, but still. Did you measure yourself or is that just your jean size?
    Hey that is my waist circumference, not my pants size. My pants are a size 34.
  • neeks325
    Options
    You've gained 8 inches and only 17 pounds? So every 2 pounds you had to buy new pants? Odd, at best.

I am talking waist circumference not pants size. I am a 34 jeans
  • neeks325
    Options
    You've gained 8 inches and only 17 pounds? So every 2 pounds you had to buy new pants? Odd, at best.

I am talking waist circumference not pants size. I am a 34 jeans
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    _benjammin wrote: »
    Yes

This
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    I'm more concerned that you're NOT concerned that you are now classed as overweight and your waist circumference is over the healthy limit.

Are you that attached to your alcohol that you don't want to see yourself as unhealthy?
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Well, if your waist circumference is 41 but you are wearing 34 jeans, that probably just means that your beer gut is hanging out over your pants. 17 pounds x 3500 calories per pound means you drank 59,500 calories of booze. Might be time for a change.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Well, if your waist circumference is 41 but you are wearing 34 jeans, that probably just means that your beer gut is hanging out over your pants. 17 pounds x 3500 calories per pound means you drank 59,500 calories of booze. Might be time for a change.

Although not perfect assume the 17 * 3500 is 59000 calories assuming 150 calories for a regular domestic US beer that works out to a bit under 400 beers or just a bit over 1 a day. Pretty much the same as some sort of small dessert a day.

Just shows how empty calories can add up if you don't change eating or exercise habits somewhere else.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

But the waist measurement is the important factor here.
  • TnTWalter
    TnTWalter Posts: 345 Member
    Options
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

Don't men's pants go by waist size (ie: 34" waist = size 34 pants)? If so, you're wearing your pants low, like a lot of guys with big bellies.