Is skinny fat so bad?

Options
1234568»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    I'd say no, because muscle to fat ratio doesn't always dictate if one is any healthier than someone who's the polar opposite. Lots and lots of Asians are skinny fat. Finding a gym to work out in Asia (unless in a high metropolitan area) is tough to do. Most Asians are of normal weight based on diet and just daily physical activity.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ScreeField
    ScreeField Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    KezJT wrote: »
    I hit 10k steps easily every day, can run for 20-30 mins straight and can lift the heavy stuff that I need to around the house/at work:)

I got bored/finished/stopped so I keep healthy through daily routines (I cycle to work, walk to the shops etc)

You sound perfectly fine and healthy to me. So, you have a little extra weight. Who cares? You can run for 30 minutes (which is more than a lot of people I know can do). You bike to work, walk instead of driving. And, you're not stuck doing something you don't enjoy (daily routines). You were able to lose the weight before and there's no reason that you couldn't cut back a little now and lose those few last bits. My only suggestions would be to add some sort of core work and maybe a stretching routine (we could probably all benefit from stronger cores and more flexibility as we age)--but do these in an enjoyable way. Maybe a yoga or Pilates class with friends.

It's your life and you should live it by doing the things you enjoy. There's no reason you have to ride the hamster wheel to conform to everyone else's standards of health or beauty--no one knows what "perfect health" looks like anyway. And, why add "work" (like exercise you don't like) and complication to your day?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    if you are able to run for 30 minutes and regularly walk 5 miles, you are fit enough for overall health purposes, which I think is your goal.

I could do this when I most certainly was over-fat.

My hubs is still almost 100 lbs. overweight and can do both of these things.

Fantastic. Then you have a much better health profile than someone who is both overweight and can't do those things and possibly better than someone who is thin and can't do those things. Drop the weight to lower your risks even more and you are golden. OP is already planning to lose weight and I assume was not planning to stop doing the exercises she already enjoys in the process.

Jeez, read more carefully. My HUSBAND is the one who is overweight and can do those things. The point was that the poster who said she could do that was trying to use that as an ultimate achievement about being fit and thin. Since my husband is overweight and can do them, obviously the whole fit thing doesn't always fit the thin part.

By the way, don't be so quick to be judgmental. I am thin and can't do either of those things.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    My understanding of skinny fat is that it's a bad combination :smiley:

You have the increase health risk of a traditionally overweight person with less social pressure or stigma.

For example two people with similar body fat, one is fat fat and the other is skinny fat.

The fat fat one is likely seen as unhealthy of the two, judged or insulted, food choices analysed by random passerby.

While the skinny fat person with similar health risks is seen as healthier.

Or am I wrong?