Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    No, this one is when they are in town and the other brothers (Stephen Lang plays one and Thomas Haden Church plays the other) are getting lippy in the street. Doc is getting a shave and Wyatt doesn't want a gun fight and Doc says the 'huckleberry' line to offer up a fight, and the brothers back down.

Oh, I gotcha. I like the later reference.

cEKRbMz.gif

One of my favorite movies. I've probably seen it a hundred times.
    Whenever it shows up in the guide, I change to watch it. Almost completely for Kilmer's Holliday.

That cup-twirling scene deserves an Oscar, don't you think?
    It's awesome. Another of my favorites is Holliday's explanation for why Ringo is like he is.

Especially since you know he's also talking about himself.
    I know, right? Takes one to know one. One happened to befriend a lawman, one happened to befriend outlaws. That's why I liked the scene so much.

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I see on here all the time that it's unhealthy to lose more than 2 lbs a week. Is there research to back that up? Is it always unhealthy, even when someone is morbidly obese? Those who have had weight loss surgery lose more quickly than that, don't they? WLS does have risks but it's also got some pretty positive statistics behind it.

It's because of the differing energy yields between 1lb of muscle and 1lb of fat and how this correlates to your TDEE. Most sensible fat loss regimes seeks to maximise fat loss but minimise loss from other areas like muscle, bone, connective tissue etc.

So, if you are eating 1,000 calories under maintenance and you see a loss of 5lbs for example the assumption would be that it is disproportionately coming from sources other than fat. (see the section muscle is not the same as fat for more info).

It's a rough guide. Many people suggest that the maximum rate of safe fat loss would be 1% of total body weight per week but there are a number of variables to consider as to whether more is justifiable. Clearly if you are at imminent danger of organ failure due to excess weight then getting it off as quickly as possible out rides muscle loss and so on. The vast majority of people do not fall into this category and if they did should be under urgent medical supervision.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I see on here all the time that it's unhealthy to lose more than 2 lbs a week. Is there research to back that up? Is it always unhealthy, even when someone is morbidly obese? Those who have had weight loss surgery lose more quickly than that, don't they? WLS does have risks but it's also got some pretty positive statistics behind it.

I think @DeguelloTex lost more than two pounds per week, especially initially.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I think @DeguelloTex lost more than two pounds per week, especially initially.
    When I first started, I averaged 3.5 pounds a week for a couple of months. Maybe a little longer, but I don't have the numbers atm. It was about 2 pounds from diet and 1.5 from exercise.

I had well over 100 pounds of fat from which to draw, though.

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    I just lost 3.5 pounds in one day which you may say is unhealthy but the other side of that is that in four days prior to that I gained ten pounds by eating and drinking large amounts of beer. So, I guess I am all around unhealthy. Just having some fun with this and it was a really fun time. I do think long term excessive calorie deficit is bad for over all health and could even be dangerous. No one needs to be in a hurry here, we didn't gain it all overnight and surely don't want to lose it that fast either.

I think what you're describing is water weight changes related to dietary choices the previous day. You'd have to eat ~35,000 calories over your maintance in one day to pack on 10 pounds overnight.

Thats why I said I gained it over four days and it felt like it was 35,000 calories of food & booze. I agree that its mostly water otherwise there would be no way to have swings like that. I hope to shed most of it in a week with some aggressive running and a more sensible diet. I was also at the bottom side of losing 5 pounds the week before so it was easy to put it back on quick.
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    While I do believe that a slow, steady weight loss is the most healthy and sustainable way to lose weight and keep it off, I've been finding it difficult to uncover actual studies done on the 1-2 lbs. per week point. The Mayo Clinic, CDC and US Dept. of Health & Human Services all tout that statistic but none of them have sources linked to it.

Anyone ever found the scientific backup for it?
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    I just lost 3.5 pounds in one day which you may say is unhealthy but the other side of that is that in four days prior to that I gained ten pounds by eating and drinking large amounts of beer. So, I guess I am all around unhealthy. Just having some fun with this and it was a really fun time. I do think long term excessive calorie deficit is bad for over all health and could even be dangerous. No one needs to be in a hurry here, we didn't gain it all overnight and surely don't want to lose it that fast either.

I think what you're describing is water weight changes related to dietary choices the previous day. You'd have to eat ~35,000 calories over your maintance in one day to pack on 10 pounds overnight.

Thats why I said I gained it over four days and it felt like it was 35,000 calories of food & booze. I agree that its mostly water otherwise there would be no way to have swings like that. I hope to shed most of it in a week with some aggressive running and a more sensible diet. I was also at the bottom side of losing 5 pounds the week before so it was easy to put it back on quick.

Didn't see the 4-day part, sorry. Still, that's about 12-15 days of maintenance intake over what is essentially a long weekend. There's just no way that's a fat gain, so I wouldnt even sweat it if I saw such a fluctuation. Just getting back on track afterwards would even out the water weight issue.

When I have stretches like that, I try to log it after the fact. I know it's not always accurate because beer (and whiskey), but I can usually get pretty close by using receipts and/or empties to prod my hazy recollections. The calorie damage is never quite as bad as my sense of regret would have indicated and usually matches up with my net weight gain after the water weight stabilizes.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,149 MFP Staff
    Options
    Closing this discussion for now to check with our moderation team on the history here. If anyone has concerns regarding subjects we don't allow in the forums, or other moderation feedback, you can send myself or @Rachel a private message. Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.