Actually Healthy cereals?

Options
Does anyone know of some good, healthy, preferably whole grain cereals that aren't a hoax? The brand name or anything that I should look for in the ingredients would be helpful as well ☺️

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Puffed wheat. Shredded wheat. All Bran. Grape Nuts. Oatmeal. Red River.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Weetabix.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    millett
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I like Kay's protein cereal.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Except for the All Bran and Grape Nuts cereals mentioned above, these are all one-ingredient cereals. Some require cooking. You can't get more whole grain than that. What's to hoax?
  • jgnatca
    Options
    There's puffed millet at our local Bulk Barn.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    It's all going to depend on what you mean by healthy. Many cereals can be part of a healthy diet, though. I tend to go for cereals that have lower sugar and/or more whole grains and fiber. Cheerios is one of the best for that (1g sugar per serving). Another good thing about most cereals is that they are fortified with vitamins and minerals.

I also eat mini-wheats (yes, even the frosted kind) and bran flakes on a regular basis. On occasion, I will buy the chocolate cheerios or cookie cereal, but I view those as more of a treat and not a staple of my diet. For me, it comes down to reading the label and making sure that it fits in my goals. Carbs are not horrible, but I do try to make sure that sugars are lower and fiber is higher in my regular breakfast cereals.

Oatmeal is also a good option, and I recently found whole-grain cream of wheat. They take a bit more time to prepare, but I can control how much sugar I put in them (usually as honey or fruit).
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I just look for protein and fiber counts, preferably lower sugar.

Steel cut oats have an amazing texture. I use add-ins for protein and fat.

Kashi Go Lean (original) .....I don't tolerate the chicory root extract (inulin) that so many other high fiber cereals have.

Special K (original) has a decent protein count, but I need to add some fruit to get some fiber in.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Yeah, it's the foods I put around the cereal that make it so good. I like making refrigerator oats with regular yogurt and a bit of fruit and nuts.

My steel cut oats I cook with currants or raisins and eat with Greek Yogurt.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Lucky Charms and All Bran are my go-tos.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    I just look for protein and fiber counts, preferably lower sugar.

Steel cut oats have an amazing texture. I use add-ins for protein and fat.

Kashi Go Lean (original) .....I don't tolerate the chicory root extract (inulin) that so many other high fiber cereals have.

Special K (original) has a decent protein count, but I need to add some fruit to get some fiber in.

I generally consider milk my protein with cereal, although I do appreciate a few grams in the cereal itself. :wink:
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i do the goleans. the cinnamon one and berry ones are good
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I just eat Uncle Sam original with some vanilla Greek yogurt. I've been looking to pick up a bag of Nature's Path chia cereals when I'm finished with my current boxes.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Cereals I would put in the deceptive advertising category:
    http://holycrap.ca/products/holy-crap-cereal - selling organic
    Special K Protein - selling willpower

Not that I wouldn't eat them, but it's hyperbole.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Breakfast cereals get stuck in my Iffy category. Wouldn't call them healthy, but things like Cheerios...I would say they're unhealthy, either.

I took on breakfast cereals for the iron. I needed more iron, so in they came. I don't eat the high-sugar deals, but do eat have them several times a week.
  • erialcelyob
    erialcelyob Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Weetabix with banana is my go to breakfast in a hurry :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    i eat a crap ton of oats...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I don't like cold cereal, but I'm a fan of steel cut oats and consider them good for me. I just make sure I eat some protein with them (and vegetables on the side too), for a better balanced breakfast. IMO, the main problem with cereal for breakfast (other than some kinds being basically like eating sweets for breakfast) is simply that on its own it's mostly just carbs. For some people that will be fine, but I do better with some protein and fat also.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    For me, anything with a decent fiber to sugar ratio is good.
  • jadowns
    jadowns Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    German Muesli... (Oats) ... Look up recipes online.