cut down on sodium! !!

Options

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just "added" salt and not "naturally occurring" salt that's the problem

*evil grin*
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Just throwing this monkey wrench into the works, but aren't there murmurs that they're going to revise the guidelines on sodium just like they did on cholesterol?
    There is a LOT of talk about the fact that salt itself, and not sodium necessarily, is more of a problem.

Isn't salt sodium? <confused>
    Salt contains sodium. There is sodium in there. It's not 100% sodium.

But salt cannot be salt without the sodium component, so what's your point?
    I wasn't making a point to fight about. I was clarifying for you, since you didn't know the difference between sodium and salt.

I understand perfectly the difference between sodium and salt. Salt is a chemical combination of two elements: sodium and chlorine - which becomes sodium chloride aka table salt when bonded. Since table salt cannot exist without sodium, your previous statement - "There is a LOT of talk about the fact that salt itself, and not sodium necessarily, is more of a problem" - makes absolutely no sense.

It does if chlorine is the issue...
    Absolutely, as a question of logic, that would make sense. I can't find anything online that suggests the chlorine in sodium chloride is problematic, though. Maybe the person who made the claim will support it.

Nah, I'm guessing they will just take their toy and go home as they don't have anything to support it...
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Just throwing this monkey wrench into the works, but aren't there murmurs that they're going to revise the guidelines on sodium just like they did on cholesterol?
    There is a LOT of talk about the fact that salt itself, and not sodium necessarily, is more of a problem.

I wasn't making a point to fight about. I was clarifying for you, since you didn't know the difference between sodium and salt.

I understand perfectly the difference between sodium and salt. Salt is a chemical combination of two elements: sodium and chlorine - which becomes sodium chloride aka table salt when bonded. Since table salt cannot exist without sodium, your previous statement - "There is a LOT of talk about the fact that salt itself, and not sodium necessarily, is more of a problem" - makes absolutely no sense.
    So, you lied to create a fight? Really?

There is lots of talk and much studying being done about salt. It's not new.

It may even be googleable. I don't know. I didn't google it and won't be googling it.

I'm also done arguing about this ridiculous thing.

I 100% agree that people should really ask their doctors about their salt.

She didn't lie. She asked a question because you made 0 sense...

Nope, she did not lie. I also did not understand what you were trying to say, Kalikel.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Maybe it's just "added" salt and not "naturally occurring" salt that's the problem

*evil grin*

I know that's a joke, but it's not far from correct.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

*evil grin*

Oh...now this I HAVE to hear.

How is 'added' NaCl different from 'naturally occurring' NaCl such that one would be problematic, and other would not?
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

*evil grin*

How is 'added' NaCl different from 'naturally occurring' NaCl such that one would be problematic, and other would not?

I'm guessing it's just volume.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

It may even be googleable. I don't know. I didn't google it and won't be googling it.

I 100% agree that people should really ask their doctors about their salt.

Shocking!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

*evil grin*

You would be more likely to get too much from added, and most people can get enough from naturally occurring.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

Absolutely, as a question of logic, that would make sense. I can't find anything online that suggests the chlorine in sodium chloride is problematic, though. Maybe the person who made the claim will support it.
    Then it mustn't be true! If you can't find it by googling, it must not be true!

If the googlers don't find it, but i say it's true, it must be false.

Thank you for that. I know you probably didn't intend it as a nice comment, but I'm taking it as such, anyway. Nice boost for my morning.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

I asked the question in order to give you an opportunity to clarify your original stance, which at the onset, made little sense because science. :

You chose to view my subsequent response to this as an attack on your credibility, and the only way to counter the fact that your statement is misinformed is to call me a liar and then flounce off refusing to admit that perhaps - just perhaps - you were actually mistaken in your original assertion?

There nothing wrong with being mistaken, btw. Those are simply opportunities to learn. :)
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

I wasn't able to find something that says there is too much Chlorine is an issue, but I did find some information about too little:

http://www.britannica.com/science/chlorine-deficiency
  • SLLRunner
    edited August 2015
    Options

Thank you for that. I know you probably didn't intend it as a nice comment, but I'm taking it as such, anyway. Nice boost for my morning.

People are just asking you to support your claim, that's all.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

I didn't say it was false. It does sound like you just made it up, though. Do you have any links to support your claim?

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    So I guess you guys can bicker/be sarcastic/be hostile or whatever as much as you want to in this thread, but the science at the moment regarding sodium intake is very unclear.
    Given lack of scientific consensus, 112/63 BP, and the fact that I like salt, I'm going to keep using a lot. Especially my chipotle salt. I mean, when someone gets salt as a Christmas present it makes a statement.

• SLLRunner
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    So I guess you guys can bicker/be sarcastic/be hostile or whatever as much as you want to in this thread, but the science at the moment regarding sodium intake is very unclear.
    Given lack of scientific consensus, 112/63 BP, and the fact that I like salt, I'm going to keep using a lot. Especially my chipotle salt. I mean, when someone gets salt as a Christmas present it makes a statement.
    Pass the chipotle salt, I love it!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Yes. A little info, indeed.

It seems mostly to revolve around high blood pressure. If you don't have high blood pressure and your blood pressure isn't turning into a problem...

Mostly, yes. That is the biggest concern. Do you know the statistics on high BP?

http://www.cdc.gov/dhdsp/data_statistics/fact_sheets/fs_bloodpressure.htm

Exceeding the sodium recommendation is obviously not going to be a problem for everyone. That's true of any RDA. They are general rules. But what sense if there in telling every user that asks about sodium that it's okay to ignore the RDA when it is likely to be harmful more often than not?
    If you look back over the thread, like the sugar threads, there's a whole lot of "If you don't have a medical condition..." prefacing the comments. Do you see those? Do you agree that that's not the same thing as will-nilly telling every user to ignore sodium intake?

No, because high sodium is associated with causing disease not just exacerbating it. Just because your BP is high today doesn't mean it won't be later. 1/3 of Americans have high BP. Another 1/3 have pre-hypertension. For some populations the numbers are much higher. Eat all the sodium you want. It's your life, but saying it's fine for everyone who doesn't have a disease right now makes no sense given the available data.

Keep in mind there are a lot of factors that contribute to hypertension... obesity is probably one of the biggest ones, but also not being physically active, smoking and drinking.

Being on MFP, the majority of us are working out and trying to lose weight. I frequently eat 5000mg+ of sodium because I workout hard. But I also aim to get foods high in potassium and magnesium which help stabilize your electrolytes. And my BP is 110/70

You can add my wife to the list of people who need really high sodium (like 10,000mg). She has a medical condition that burns through electrolytes. So her doctors have said, you can never get enough salt.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

I work in pharmacovigilance, and epidemiology is a good portion of my daily tasks. There are several movements to get this amended, but as you can imagine the AHA takes a very strong stance against this revision. They are still operating under a CYA philosophy, so as long as the number of hypertension cases > hyponatremia - its status quo.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

From what I've read no. Some groups have proposed lowering it, but so far there isn't enough consensus on that recommendation for the general public.

Did the RDA for cholesterol change?

they're doing away with it completely because it's completely irrelevant.
This discussion has been closed.