cut down on sodium! !!

Options

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Sodium deficiency (hyponatremia) is a thing and it isn't something you want. We need sodium to live. Unless your Dr has told you that you need to watch sodium for health reasons don't get too caught up in trying to reduce it.

Um, this is pretty rare and usually because of illness or medications. If you are eating food and not taking medication that depletes sodium it's pretty hard not to get enough. We really don't need much.

You need to go back and read the whole thread......

Fear mongering over too little sodium won't change the facts.

It's hardly fear mongering. Telling people to watch out for sodium when they don't need to is fear mongering.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Sodium deficiency (hyponatremia) is a thing and it isn't something you want. We need sodium to live. Unless your Dr has told you that you need to watch sodium for health reasons don't get too caught up in trying to reduce it.

Um, this is pretty rare and usually because of illness or medications. If you are eating food and not taking medication that depletes sodium it's pretty hard not to get enough. We really don't need much.

It's hardly fear mongering. Telling people to watch out for sodium when they don't need to is fear mongering.

Perhaps, but that doesn't negate the other fear mongering. And which is more rare, a person getting too little or a person getting too much?
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

Perhaps, but that doesn't negate the other fear mongering. And which is more rare, a person getting too little or a person getting too much?

*counts number of replies where sodium was too low

*counts number of replies where sodium was too high

Looks like too little has dominated this discussion. I've seen complaints of cramping, dizziness, fatigue, loss of consciousness...

The major complaints about too much sodium have been water retention and an annoying red number on the MFP diary.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

Looks like too little has dominated this discussion. I've seen complaints of cramping, dizziness, fatigue, loss of consciousness...

The major complaints about too much sodium have been water retention and an annoying red number on the MFP diary.

LOL I wasn't talking about this thread silly. I meant in general. You know, statistics.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

Too much. Almost everyone gets too much. Contrary to one poster's suggestion, hyponatremia from a dietary deficiency is all but unheard of...if not completely unheard of, lol. It is NOT a common thing. Not only have I never heard of a single case, I've asked others who've also said, "No, never."

This, "Don't worry about keeping sodium low! There is no reason to worry about high sodium levels! Worry that you're not getting enough!" ...that's an MFP thing, not something actual experts advise.

Someone else suggested asking your doctor. Always a good idea. Ask your doctor if it's a good idea for you to exceed the levels all experts recommend.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    According to a couple articles I've found in pubmed, hyponatremia is the most common electrolyte abnormality encountered in clinical settings.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19523571
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16843082
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

LOL I wasn't talking about this thread silly. I meant in general. You know, statistics.

Medically speaking, eating too much sodium doesn't affect the general population unless there is a blood pressure problem. Also medically speaking not getting enough sodium does. And it happens more often than people think. People new to weight loss and exercise often don't realize that the reason they get light headed and pass out, and also experience muscle cramping, is because they cut their dietary sodium too far and drink too much water, flushing sodium even further. Electrolytes are essential to proper body function and dietary sodium is an important source of part of those electrolytes. Just because it's not something you have heard of, does not mean it's not a very real thing.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Isn't Tim Noakes all the rage among the low carbers? He thinks it's an issue.

Also, if my doctor says I don't need to worry about using salt in cooking, shouldn't I be able to trust my doctor? I exercise a lot, eat loads of potassium, don't eat much packaged foods, and am always drinking water. And I have zero signs of concern re cardiovascular disease. Oh, but I guess I need to give up salt!

'Tis true it hasn't been hot here this summer, though.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to go tell my doctor that my lab results are an illusion. Because a poster here never heard of them.

Thanks, internet!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

Too much. Almost everyone gets too much. Contrary to one poster's suggestion, hyponatremia from a dietary deficiency is all but unheard of...if not completely unheard of, lol. It is NOT a common thing. Not only have I never heard of a single case, I've asked others who've also said, "No, never."

This, "Don't worry about keeping sodium low! There is no reason to worry about high sodium levels! Worry that you're not getting enough!" ...that's an MFP thing, not something actual experts advise.

Someone else suggested asking your doctor. Always a good idea. Ask your doctor if it's a good idea for you to exceed the levels all experts recommend.

I have never seen a million dollars,nor has anyone I have ever asked, therefore it must not be real....

Again, it is a recognized medical diagnosis. You can deny it all you want, that does not mean it does not happen.
  • Kalikel
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

I have never seen a million dollars,nor has anyone I have ever asked, therefore it must not be real....

Again, it is a recognized medical diagnosis. You can deny it all you want, that does not mean it does not happen.
    You're arguing about something I never said. I never said nobody gets hyponatremic.

A lot of posters here have given cases of people who were hyponatremic or borderline hyponatremic, but even in this thread, not a single person has said it happened. Some probably will now, but even with online stuff, which can be total lies, still not one single case of, "I just didn't eat enough salt!" It's all, "I had this medical issue" or "Someone I know had that medical issue."

If it has ever happened, it is an exceptionally rare thing.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Hyponatremia is low blood sodium (<130 mmol/L). It impacts people who drink too much water, eat too little food, or take medications that deplete the body’s supply of water. It refers to a low concentration of sodium circulating in body fluids (the theory is that too much water dilutes blood sodium).

http://www.coreperformance.com/knowledge/nutrition/how-to-manage-sodium-in-your-diet.html
    Drinking too much water. Because you lose sodium through sweat, drinking too much water during endurance activities, such as marathons and triathlons, can dilute the sodium content of your blood. Drinking too much water at other times can also cause low sodium.
    Dehydration. Taking in too little fluid can also be a problem. If you get dehydrated, your body loses fluids and electrolytes.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hyponatremia/basics/causes/con-20031445

http://www.medicinenet.com/hyponatremia/patient-comments-349.htm

Not our forum, but another forum, where diet was the main cause of a users hyponatermia : http://www.caloriecount.com/forums/health-support/hyponatremia

^^ 5 minutes of google...

Someone new to fitness, drops all processed food and frozen foods that are high in sodium, starts exercises which causes sweat, and starts pounding fluid...congrats they are hyponatremic..

Maybe I'm some how privy to insider information some how considering I actually work in the health care field.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Have you ever seen any of those people? Hell, have you ever really seen the Google servers?

You're trying to reason with someone who doesn't grasp basic math. Good luck with that.
  • Kalikel
    Options
    Azexas wrote: »
    Hyponatremia is low blood sodium (<130 mmol/L). It impacts people who drink too much water, eat too little food, or take medications that deplete the body’s supply of water. It refers to a low concentration of sodium circulating in body fluids (the theory is that too much water dilutes blood sodium).

http://www.coreperformance.com/knowledge/nutrition/how-to-manage-sodium-in-your-diet.html
    Drinking too much water. Because you lose sodium through sweat, drinking too much water during endurance activities, such as marathons and triathlons, can dilute the sodium content of your blood. Drinking too much water at other times can also cause low sodium.
    Dehydration. Taking in too little fluid can also be a problem. If you get dehydrated, your body loses fluids and electrolytes.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hyponatremia/basics/causes/con-20031445

http://www.medicinenet.com/hyponatremia/patient-comments-349.htm

Not our forum, but another forum, where diet was the main cause of a users hyponatermia : http://www.caloriecount.com/forums/health-support/hyponatremia

^^ 5 minutes of google...

Someone new to fitness, drops all processed food and frozen foods that are high in sodium, starts exercises which causes sweat, and starts pounding fluid...congrats they are hyponatremic..

Maybe I'm some how privy to insider information some how considering I actually work in the health care field.

Do you? Go ask a doctor or nurse how often someone is hospitalized for hyponatremia that has nothing to do with any sort of illness or drinking too much water (or drinking too much and exercising, like long-distance runners), but was a healthy person who just didn't get enough sodium in their diet.

Get ready to hear, "I've never had that happen."
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I am actually a nurse ( said it in my first post in the thread) and I've seen it happen more than once.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

You're arguing about something I never said. I never said nobody gets hyponatremic.

A lot of posters here have given cases of people who were hyponatremic or borderline hyponatremic, but even in this thread, not a single person has said it happened. Some probably will now, but even with online stuff, which can be total lies, still not one single case of, "I just didn't eat enough salt!" It's all, "I had this medical issue" or "Someone I know had that medical issue."

Are you skipping posts? I have low blood sodium. My doctor told me to replace some of my water with sports beverages and eat more salt because I wasn't eating enough.

What... are you looking for?

Hyponatremia is about a balance of sodium and fluid intake. Mine's off. Chronically.

• PeachyCarol
    Options
    Oh, I see. We have to have the special condition met where it's that you're not drinking a lot of water. So my low blood sodium doesn't count.

The fact that hyponatremia is about a balance between sodium and fluid intake doesn't matter. It's all about one poster's view of the issue that matters.

Got it now.
  • Kalikel
    Options

Are you skipping posts? I have low blood sodium. My doctor told me to replace some of my water with sports beverages and eat more salt because I wasn't eating enough.

What... are you looking for?

Hyponatremia is about a balance of sodium and fluid intake. Mine's off. Chronically.

You have an issue. That happens. I excluded that in my first post.
This discussion has been closed.