Who else loses weight for FREE???

Options
124»

Replies

• _Sheesh_
    _Sheesh_ Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've done it! I just started eating less carbs and processed food and doing fitness blender workout at home. No pills, wraps, herbalife, surgery, gym memberships, fitbit, etc.
  • ryanflebbe
    ryanflebbe Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Leka1000 wrote: »
    Hello,

I'm always getting Beach Body pushed on me on FB and it's annoying....I'm always seeing grabby marketing weight loss ads everywhere! I see success with them, especially Beachbody. I personally have seen friends succeed with it and that is great! BUT what Im super cool about is losing weight and gaining strength physically and mentally ALL FOR FREE! I'm looking for fellow people who don't get sucked into the cash grab of weight loss/ health merch...
    FREE is using MFP to track food
    Lifting weights at home
    Doing cardio at home or outside stuff
    No sups, no protein shakes, no gym memberships, no jenny craig, no herbal magic, no beach body etc....

WHO is on the same page as me?
    I'd love to do this but a power cage and weight set would cost a lot of money and Craigslist hasn't been very helpful. :(

Keep looking. I have gotten a lot of free or cheap stuff. Good stuff. Make an offer, ask about things. A lot of people have more exercise equipment they would readily part with for not much money, that they just didn't bother to advertise. You just have to be diligent. If you know someone who welds or can build stuff, you can build a lot of stuff for cheap if you can find cheap/scrap metal stock to make it from. Weights are one of the most expensive things, in my opinion. People know they are worth something, and you can't make them.
  • Achaila
    Achaila Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    It Works! Is really big on my Facebook feed. I had someone approach me about it once everyone figured out I'm losing weight. I'm like for real? Look how much weight I've lost without your stupid placebo pills and fancy "wraps." I actually saw a rep post that she had lost 5 pounds in 2 months using the pills. 2 months worth of pills is over $100...why would I spend that much money to lose 5 extra pounds that you probably didn't even lose thanks to the pills.
    I have free apps on my phone (MFP and Pacer) and that's what I use. I eventually want to get a Fitbit, but I will never spend tons of money on anything that promises me I'll lose weight just by taking a pill.
  • owensy12
    owensy12 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    No gym, no fitbit or other techy doodads, no special shakes, no pills. I had a gym membership, but I quit it.

I bought running shoes. That's it.

Same here. I have friends who have £50 p/m gym memberships and never use them. I bought a pair of running shoes.
  • Leka1000
    Leka1000 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Achaila wrote: »
    It Works! Is really big on my Facebook feed. I had someone approach me about it once everyone figured out I'm losing weight. I'm like for real? Look how much weight I've lost without your stupid placebo pills and fancy "wraps." I actually saw a rep post that she had lost 5 pounds in 2 months using the pills. 2 months worth of pills is over $100...why would I spend that much money to lose 5 extra pounds that you probably didn't even lose thanks to the pills.
    I have free apps on my phone (MFP and Pacer) and that's what I use. I eventually want to get a Fitbit, but I will never spend tons of money on anything that promises me I'll lose weight just by taking a pill.

WRAPS ARE STUPID AS HELL! OMG
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I don't think I do it necessarily free. I rollerblade but I do that no matter what because it's so much fun. I did buy a Horizon Fitness treadmill so I don't have to go to a gym. That was specifically for fitness. I buy workout clothes. Protective gear for rollerblading. Dumbbells. A food scale.

But as far as falling for gimmicky items, no, I do that part for free. No fad of the months or do-dads or gadgets or electronics. I did buy a SanDisk Sport for music when I skate, but that was a want, not a need. :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I pay for my gym. It's worth it :smiley:
  • aaron_mc29
    aaron_mc29 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've spent money on some weights and gym mat, that's about it. My apartment isn't big enough to have too much equipment lying around, so I mostly do bodyweight exercises.
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I figure the money I save in going out to eat (making food from scratch is cheap and doesn't require driving more than once a week to get groceries) easily pays for my gym and swim team membership, so it's a wash.
  • momoharuno
    momoharuno Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I do, I already had a food scale and I have a home gym, I haven't paid for anything weight loss related since starting but once tying the drawstring tighter on my pants stops working I'll have to buy new workout clothes. That's about it, the fact that it costs me nothing to get into shape was a big "just do it already" factor for me, down 23lbs so far and I'm glad I got on it finally :)
  • Optimistical1
    Optimistical1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I recently bought a new pair of Asics and my sister got me a digital scale for my birthday last year (my request), but other than that, it's free! I will likely spring for a gym membership in the winter if I get snowbound again.
    Leka1000 wrote: »
    Hello,

I'm always getting Beach Body pushed on me on FB and it's annoying....I'm always seeing grabby marketing weight loss ads everywhere! I see success with them, especially Beachbody. I personally have seen friends succeed with it and that is great! BUT what Im super cool about is losing weight and gaining strength physically and mentally ALL FOR FREE! I'm looking for fellow people who don't get sucked into the cash grab of weight loss/ health merch...
    FREE is using MFP to track food
    Lifting weights at home
    Doing cardio at home or outside stuff
    No sups, no protein shakes, no gym memberships, no jenny craig, no herbal magic, no beach body etc....

WHO is on the same page as me?

• neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    I'm a free "loser" myself for the most part. I use the internet to the max for free health tips and fitness. I *do* drink protein shakes, but it's mostly because they taste good and are very filling. Haha. This is a list of free tools I use:
    1. MFP (Of course!)
    2. The great outdoors (long walks and bike rides)
    3. My room
    4. YouTube (TONS of free workout videos, including Jillian Michael's 30DS)
    5. The spinach and tea leaves that grow in my backyard

I'm both cheap and poor, so I can't justify spending money on stuff when I know it can be done just as well without. This is the age of the internet where free information is in abundance. I've already lost almost 30 lbs by myself, so paying for help is a waste to me.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I have lost and maintained my weight for free. I probably save money because I eat out a lot less. Exercise: use the bike, fitness ball and treadmill I already owned. I did buy my dog a new leash.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    If I don't include the money I've spent slowly building up my home gym (weights, fitness equipment, workout dvd's etc.) and what I spend on buying good quality, cute workout clothes and colourful sneakers I haven't spent much at all.
    • Food scale - $10
    • Fitness magazines - $20 (This was early on before I realized they were mostly advertisments/advertorials)
    • Nutribullet: $80
    • Protein powder: $50 every 3 - 4 months
    • Cookbooks - Varies amounts

When I look at the big picture I've actually save money by losing weight:

- I cook a lot from scratch using basic things like eggs and flour etc. which cuts down on expenses.

- I eat well-balanced meals with no snacking, so I no longer buy those pre-packaged snack packs anymore.

- Most of my meals are eaten at home. I do go out to eat for 1 or 2 meals each week. When I was overweight/obese it was the opposite. I used to grab something to eat once or twice a day most days and I spent A LOT of money.

- I rarely drink my calories so I don't buy store-bought juice, pop or alcohol. I do buy tea in bulk, but it's inexpensive.

- Regular sized clothes are usually cheaper than plus-sized ones.

- I get a lot of stuff for free. Most recently the guy at Chipotle who liked my bubbly personality and smile gave me my burrito for free. And I swear I wasn't flirting. LOL

It feels great to say that I've lost all of my weight on my own without any diet plans, pills, weight loss books/programs, fancy gadgets or a gym membership.

Also not depending on anything or anyone has made maintaining my weight loss easy and sustainable, but this is just my experience. :)
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, my weight loss isn't 'free' but I can't see how anyone's is free.

We are still living in a society that sells junk food at a cheaper price than good choices. I spend around £100 a week on my food alone (I live with my partner - so his too) which is quite a lot but that is because I buy fresh, decent foods. If I was buying junk food, I'm pretty certain that figure would be halved.

I also pay for my monthly gym membership but I'm lucky as that is VERY cheap!

As I am also losing a substantial amount of inches each month, I find myself regularly having to buy new clothes to wear as the last month's lot are now too big. It really does add up.

But all this is WELL worth the money spent.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i do a lot of it for free or i had it ahead of time, but there are start up costs.
    so i use mfp and i had a blender already and cookbooks and pinterest boards full of good food, s health, b210k, c25k, runtastic

what isn't free is the workout clothes-tjmaxx and target.
    shoes from the running store
    running socks-so much better than regular socks
    I will be getting a vivosmart soon-that's not free, and body glide because chafing is becoming an issue

I have a Christmas listed started already with running gear that i want. and yoga socks. i keep losing those
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Me me me.....! Everyone on MFP loses weight for freeeeeee :smiley:
  • haydiz70
    haydiz70 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I bought a digital scale and a food scale (don't use often), treadmill, exercise bike, and a Gear Fit to track steps, so not free but it's worked for me. But yeah, no gym membership, pills, fad diets, supplements, or stuff like that. My primary and most important tool is MFP, since losing weight is really all about CICO in the end anyway. I also use Mapmyhike, which is free, fun to use, and motivating. It's also free to hike! Whatever works for you is what you should do. :)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    oh I forgot to say I EARN shopping vouchers just for being active....WIN WIN :smiley:
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I already had digital scales and a second hand exercise bike and used to spend lots of money when doing weightwatchers several years ago. This time [ the last time!] I am not spending anything to lose weight.