husband's birthday

His birthday is August 28 and he has been gone all week working he likes Mexican food but everything is so high in calories for me. Do I get something else for me I eat 1350 cals a day and don't want to mess up what I have lost and I want to get him a single serve cake or cupcakes how can I eat this and not go over my allowed calories

Replies

• calihoya
    calihoya Posts: 80 Member
    One day isn't going to kill you. If you're really that worried about it, try eating at a slightly greater deficit the rest of the week (though your calories are already pretty low so that may not be doable for you) or you can fit in some exercise to help with the extra intake. Either way, you might have a slight water weight gain from all the sodium but if you are sticking to your plan the rest of the week you'll be totally fine.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    healthy living, fitness, weight management, etc...these things are all predicated on what you're doing most of the time...not a night out or a special occasion here and there or a holiday, etc.

weight management and fitness aren't really about the day to day minutia...they are about the much bigger picture.

go enjoy yourself and your husbands birthday...then wake up the next day and be normal.
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    You can also be fairly lean if you want by skipping the guacamole, have chicken, and go easy on the cheese.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited August 2015
    If you're trying to order lower calorie you can ask for corn tortillas to be steamed rather than fried, and stick with protein and veg. Ask for sour cream, guac, cheese on the side so you can control the amount you put in, but feel free to use jalapeño, cilantro, salsa, pico and lime as awesome flavors for few calories.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I would likely eat at maintenance for a day like this. Your calorie goal is low, making it difficult to splurge a bit while also eating other meals for the day. One day at maintenence will not cause fat gain. The sodium may cause some extra water retention.
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    I would go out and run 6 to 7 miles do a few more excersise, before you know or ypu got 700- 800 surplus calories good luck
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    edited August 2015
    My neighborhood mexican place has a yummy salad with grilled chicken, avocado, bacon, and a little shredded cheese. I generally dislike restaurant salad dressing but I love this salad dry. I can easily fit this in a 1350 day. Most places have something like this. The cake/cupcake, however, would take some planning. But it can be done! For the calories, I would rather toast my hard working husband with a glass of wine than share in the dessert. It's what you do day in and day out, not the special occasions, that will spell your success. Enjoy your evening!
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Just try to eat closer to maintenance for the day. I've been losing weight steadily, and I've had plenty of days where my goal is just maintenance and it really hasn't slowed my progress. Or do some extra cardio that day so you are able to have a bigger meal and still fit it into your calories!
  • chulipa
    chulipa Posts: 650 Member
    Exercising is hard for medue to medical problems but I have started walking for about 30 minutes I have dropped from 287 to 273 in 2 weeks and just don't want to gain
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Its my hubby's birthday on the 28th too :smiley: I'll be eating whatever I want that day too, its just one day..... :smile:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Have some chicken fajitas without tortillas and sides, or two tacos (ask for veggies instead of rice and beans). That should be 500-600 calories and not too hard to fit in your calories.

And just get your husband a cupcake (or have one too, one day isn't going to make a huge difference anyway).
  • dahhhhhling
    dahhhhhling Posts: 66 Member
    edited August 2015
    chulipa wrote: »
    His birthday is August 28 and he has been gone all week working he likes Mexican food but everything is so high in calories for me. Do I get something else for me I eat 1350 cals a day and don't want to mess up what I have lost and I want to get him a single serve cake or cupcakes how can I eat this and not go over my allowed calories

Just eat at maintenance that day. Find out your TDEE and don't go over that amount, look over the menu and preplan what you're going to order. Then go to a bakery and get some fancy cupcakes and enjoy one with him. You won't gain fat as long as you don't go over your TDEE, maybe a bit of water weight depending on the sodium but that will come off quickly.

It's your hubby's birthday. If he's anything like my husband, he'll get upset you're worried more about the calorie content in your food than having a pleasant meal with him and celebrating.
  • JessicaB523
    JessicaB523 Posts: 70 Member
    My husband's birthday was yesterday. I just gave myself a pass that day. I didn't go crazy or anything, just didn't stress about eating out.

We just got him a regular cake. If there is anything good about having celiac, it is that there is absolutely no temptation to eat cake.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    my husband's birthday was yesterday and i grilled steaks and made zucchini. then we had garbanzo bean chocolate cake for dessert. it was a treat, but i was able to stay within calorie goal.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    My husband's birthday was yesterday. I just gave myself a pass that day. I didn't go crazy or anything, just didn't stress about eating out.

We just got him a regular cake. If there is anything good about having celiac, it is that there is absolutely no temptation to eat cake.

have you ever tried garbanzo bean chocolate cake? it's GF & so delicious! would never know it wasn't flour.
  • JessicaB523
    JessicaB523 Posts: 70 Member
    I have tried quite a few different options. I hate cooking and don't want to make others make special for me. So I have concluded that the best option for me is to just skip it. :)

I tend to enjoy fruit or chocolate anyway, so making alternatives really just isn't worth it to me.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Are you getting take out Mexican to eat at home? It sounds that way since you ask if you should get something else. I don't see why it would be bad for you to get something else if you are going to be eating it at home anyway. But, have you considered making a healthy Mexican meal yourself?

Others are correct though. This one day will not make or break your weight loss, unless you let it.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Think portion control. :) Have a great evening!
  • ibnfaqir
    ibnfaqir Posts: 139 Member
    Overeat and then fast for 18 or so hours the next day. It's the strategy I have seen fairly lean people use.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    my husband's birthday was yesterday and i grilled steaks and made zucchini. then we had garbanzo bean chocolate cake for dessert. it was a treat, but i was able to stay within calorie goal.

My husband's birthday is July 4th. I only had one piece of cake and managed to stay at my goal (maintenance).

But then we had a lot of cake left... and it didn't go well. That's why I don't buy whole cakes anymore (he insisted on bringing the leftovers home).