Nutritious meals under 200 calories?

Options
13»

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I actually think the wedges are slightly smaller and that's why it's lower, but I'd have to double check. These are .67 oz/19g

LC is 21 grams
  • jenchamb1
    jenchamb1 Posts: 73 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I would love to see some volumetric type recipies...there are days that you just need a larger amount of food while still watching calorie counts.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I kind of feel like 200 calories is a snack and not a meal. That's probably why I'm fat. All your foods and pics sound yummy though.
  • WildePillar
    WildePillar Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    emmatui wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    I'm eating 1200 calories per day, and finding that by dinner time I only have 200 or less left over. I'm still hungry and still want nutrition... but can't think of many things to cook/make that will be under the quota. So do y'all have any good meal ideas/recipes that I could use?

Many thanks!
    E

La Tortilla Factory wrap (100 calories)
    30 grams of avocado (about 50 calories)
    1/4 cup lowfat cottage cheese (45 calories) ---** you can also use half a cup of non-fat greek yogurt instead)
    leafy greens / steamed veggies / cucumbers etc...

Delicious and healthy!
  • ClaireThompson1112
    Options
    I've just started and found myself in the same boat :( it is heard but I'm determined!
  • susan0264
    susan0264 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I just made a big delicious meal for 188 calories, it's in my diary for lunch but it is:
    1 bag shirataki noodles (rinsed and heated on the skillet for about 8 minutes)
    142 grams bean sprouts
    40 grams baby bella mushroom
    3 oz shrimp
    soy sauce
    chili garlic paste.

This looks delicious!!
  • yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Shirataki noodles sound interesting, I'm going to have to try them.
  • arditarose
    Options
    sexysizeme wrote: »
    Shirataki noodles sound interesting, I'm going to have to try them.

The key is to put them on the frying pan to get the moisture out, and don't smell them when you open the bag.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I forgot to report. I tried the noodles. The smell was less offending than I thought it would be from all the bad things I read about it, and I'm a person who never liked seafood or its smell.

I rinsed it well, boiled it, then sauteed it until it shrunk a bit. I then marinated it in soy sauce, garlic and other stuff and had it with chicken and white sauce a few hours later. It wasn't bad. I didn't mind the texture. Of course had I approached them like pasta I wouldn't have liked it. It's not a replacement it's its own thing.

Will I have it again? Probably not, unless it's presented to me for free. The price point is just too steep when the only reason they're being used is just to add calorie-free bulk. I can add low calorie bulk by just using things that require less work and are much cheaper, but I just have a curiosity to try anything at least once. Sometimes it works out well and I introduce a new food to my recipe collection like it did with seitan, which I will be making tomorrow!

Edit: apparently wrong thread. I thought this was the noodles thread. Oh well.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    @amusedmonkey if you have an Asian grocery store they sell bags for $1-2 each.

I have a lot of volumetric recipes. I can post some links when I'm at my computer.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    @amusedmonkey if you have an Asian grocery store they sell bags for $1-2 each.

I have a lot of volumetric recipes. I can post some links when I'm at my computer.

I'm not in the US. A small bag is about 10 dollars where I live...
  • emmatui
    emmatui Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I really love the sound of these. Thanks again guys! Appreciate the support and tips.
    Gonna try out the shirataki noodles dish (never heard of them), as well as the cheesy zucchini noodles one this week hopefully. Also never heard of "volumetric" style eating until now, but it sounds like my jam. Feel free to share some of those links too!

:smile:
  • arditarose
    Options
    jenchamb1 wrote: »
    I would love to see some volumetric type recipies...there are days that you just need a larger amount of food while still watching calorie counts.

I brought a four serving vegetarian stir fry with the shirataki noodles to a dinner yesterday. The entire dish was 200 calories...for 4 people! Now this isn't gourmet. It's basically as easy as it gets but here is what I did.

2 bags of shirataki noodles drained. Pat them down with a kitchen towel and put them on a frying pan on high heat for about 10 minutes or until they start making a squeaking sound

In a pan heat:
    100-150 grams of each red and green pepper
    1 clove of garlic, 2 tablespoons of soy sauce,
    1-2 tablespoons of garlic chili paste
    1 can Asian Stir Fry vegetables. I used Asian Gourmet brand. It had baby corn, bamboo shoots, bean sprouts. 75 calories for the whole can.

Add the noodles and boom. A huge meal for about 200 calories. I count these noodles as about 5 calories per serving.