Options

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    sarnold958 wrote: »
    hey yall,

So I've enlisted in the U.S. Navy and ship in October for basic training. Part of that is a 1.5 mile run in under 12:30 for someone in my age group (21). I am running currently (just restarted a few days ago after a year long no run lol) and j am at 9:25 for a one miler. How can I get to running 1.5 in under 12:30? Any advice would help. And yes I know "just run" and "running constantly is the only way"

What I generally advise those under my command to do in terms of preparation for a Basic Fitness Test is to train to 5K/ 30 minutes.

This - the quickest way to a fast 1.5mile is to get to a reasonable 5k.

Once you can do that, you're fit enough for intervals to start making a difference.
  • sarnold958
    sarnold958 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I dropped the Single(1) mile time again tonight to 8:43 for one mile, so another 17 seconds shaved off. Navy is 12 laps around a bullspit track in under 12:30 for a 21 year old. So that's 4:10 seconds for every 4 laps around to make time. I should be able to make that if I keep shedding seconds. It's a straight flat paved beach walk path I run in the wind each night usually around 2-3am.
  • sarnold958
    Options
    I'm
    Just working on like yall said building my wind back up. I haven't run in over a year since I got on the job due to various excuses that I allowed or made. Since I started when I made this post, k have gone from running 1 mile in 10:25 to 8:43. Almost 2 minutes off in about a week or so. I have a set ship out date yet for basic in Great Lakes of March 16, 2016 but it may be sometime in October of this year. I'm just trying to not have surprises especially since I'll be one of the older kids and going in as a E3 and having worked as a police officer.
  • sarnold958
    Options
    Down to 1 mile in 8:14!
  • tank1539
    tank1539 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I Should add not that it's relevant but I swore in August 6, 2015 in New York in the Lt Michael P Murphy room as a HM (Hospital Corpsman) with the goal of crushing A school and getting my FMTB (Field Medical Training Battalion) orders so I can earn my Fleet Marine Force pin and be a combat medic with the USMC. I want nothing more than to earn the title devil doc. My grandpa was and I want to carry on the tradition of keeping the boots on the ground alive at all costs

As a marine I'll tell you that if you plan on being a corpsman you better do nothing but run. You have to run between positions with a med bag at full sprint and you better have your firemans carry down good. You run more then the marines. All corpsman I know are PT studs. Also, your FMF badge is a long way out shooting qual etc.. Sounds like you understand that once you put on our cammies you fall under all of our standards. Even the hair regs ;)

Good luck and take care of my brothers!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Outstanding progress brother! Keep up the awesome work!
  • sarnold958
    Options
    tank1539 wrote: »
    I Should add not that it's relevant but I swore in August 6, 2015 in New York in the Lt Michael P Murphy room as a HM (Hospital Corpsman) with the goal of crushing A school and getting my FMTB (Field Medical Training Battalion) orders so I can earn my Fleet Marine Force pin and be a combat medic with the USMC. I want nothing more than to earn the title devil doc. My grandpa was and I want to carry on the tradition of keeping the boots on the ground alive at all costs

As a marine I'll tell you that if you plan on being a corpsman you better do nothing but run. You have to run between positions with a med bag at full sprint and you better have your firemans carry down good. You run more then the marines. All corpsman I know are PT studs. Also, your FMF badge is a long way out shooting qual etc.. Sounds like you understand that once you put on our cammies you fall under all of our standards. Even the hair regs ;)

Oorah sir. There's nothing that will keep me from this. No PT test will ever stop me from doing my job. It's who I am as a person and as a warrior. If running till my legs fall off means a Marine gets to keep his, then I'd just as soon puke and rally because I will not fall short of guarding and saving each and every one of these men
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options

Oorah sir. There's nothing that will keep me from this. No PT test will ever stop me from doing my job. It's who I am as a person and as a warrior. If running till my legs fall off means a Marine gets to keep his, then I'd just as soon puke and rally because I will not fall short of guarding and saving each and every one of these men

Firstly, congrats on your decision and progress on your run. I agree with the longer runs for building up stamina, then work on your pace later. I was fairly quick when I was younger, but never enjoyed running. For that reason finding a way to keep my pace solid was really important.

And secondly, your above post is touching on something IMO much more important than the physical. Get your head in the game, do it for the right reasons, and your body will keep up with the demands. At my last duty station I spent some time around the more elite of the Corps, and the major difference is their ability to suck up the pain and push on when needed. Those guys are mentally tougher than most.

And in this day and age, if you go to any forward element with the Marines, it's probably not a matter of wondering IF you will go on hostile deployments, but more a matter of WHEN you go on a hostile deployment. Treat every training day as if lives depend on it, because chances are at some point lives will depend on it.

And as for Corpsmen in general, probably the only people outside of the Marines that we really accepted and treated as one of our own. You will be part of a brotherhood unlike any other, the loyalty of which most people can't even begin to comprehend.

KittensMaster,

I live a few miles from Little Creek now, and spend some time there myself. Based on our ages (I'm 52) there is a chance we had some overlapping time there. We bounced on and off the base and a ship when I was with 4th MAB. That obstacle course is still there, maybe one day I'll go run it just for old times sake.

Glad to see some other former Marines here. Semper Fi brothers!
  • sarnold958
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »

Firstly, congrats on your decision and progress on your run. I agree with the longer runs for building up stamina, then work on your pace later. I was fairly quick when I was younger, but never enjoyed running. For that reason finding a way to keep my pace solid was really important.

And secondly, your above post is touching on something IMO much more important than the physical. Get your head in the game, do it for the right reasons, and your body will keep up with the demands. At my last duty station I spent some time around the more elite of the Corps, and the major difference is their ability to suck up the pain and push on when needed. Those guys are mentally tougher than most.

And in this day and age, if you go to any forward element with the Marines, it's probably not a matter of wondering IF you will go on hostile deployments, but more a matter of WHEN you go on a hostile deployment. Treat every training day as if lives depend on it, because chances are at some point lives will depend on it.

And as for Corpsmen in general, probably the only people outside of the Marines that we really accepted and treated as one of our own. You will be part of a brotherhood unlike any other, the loyalty of which most people can't even begin to comprehend.

KittensMaster,

I live a few miles from Little Creek now, and spend some time there myself. Based on our ages (I'm 52) there is a chance we had some overlapping time there. We bounced on and off the base and a ship when I was with 4th MAB. That obstacle course is still there, maybe one day I'll go run it just for old times sake.

Glad to see some other former Marines here. Semper Fi brothers!

Rah sir. Thank you for your service and honest insight. I'm down to 8:05 and pushing for a sub 8 now. I'm running around 2 miles a day every other day right now. My current navy rats tell me I'll be fine for my initial PRT at basic. I'm trying to push well beyond the navy standards because after A school I will have to meet Marine Corps standards to work with them and earn the trust of the few and the proud. Devil Doc is more than just a title it's who I believe I am and won't let anything stop me from earning that respect. It's not self validation it's about them more than it is me. I could die happy knowing I kept marines alive to see their families. PT will be nothing more than a part of life by the time I'm done training
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Don't worry too much. I went USAF right out of high school. Never athletic. Near the max allowed weight going into basic. We were allowed only 12 minutes. By the last qualifying run in week 6, I was second to last in the squadron at 11:33.
    You'll have plenty of PT during basic to make the mark.
  • sarnold958
    Options
    Alright all my mile time is down to 7:57!
  • sarnold958
    Options
    I'm so amped to finally run a sub 8 mile. Next step is a sub 7!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Alright all my mile time is down to 7:57!

nicely done!!!
  • preyaticintent
    preyaticintent Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    hey yall,

So I've enlisted in the U.S. Navy and ship in October for basic training. Part of that is a 1.5 mile run in under 12:30 for someone in my age group (21). I am running currently (just restarted a few days ago after a year long no run lol) and j am at 9:25 for a one miler. How can I get to running 1.5 in under 12:30? Any advice would help. And yes I know "just run" and "running constantly is the only way"

Having been in the Navy myself, I can assure you, that by the time you get to PT2(second PT test), you'll be under. I never did any running, or any other fitness, at all until boot camp. PT1 required that I finish in 15 minutes. PT2 required much faster, and I was able to meet both of those. I was also able to get enough sit ups and push ups to pass easily. I wouldn't stress out about it, honestly. If you're already at 9 min mile, you'll be more than fine. Good luck, and thanks for signing up to serve!
  • sarnold958
    Options
    Thanks! It's an amazing feeling to be below 8, even if only by a few seconds!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Thanks! It's an amazing feeling to be below 8, even if only by a few seconds!

Outstanding progress brother!

Just spoke yesterday to a former FMF Corpsman who is now director of medical information in a company I'm setting up a contract with. God loves Corpsmen!
  • sarnold958
    Options
    1.5 mile navy PT run done at 12:51. I will crush it at basic!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    1.5 mile navy PT run done at 12:51. I will crush it at basic!

Fantastic work. Also, giving yourself more time to get fit will result in you not being as sore and watching while others have shin splints. Keep it up but don't feel the need to keep crushing it faster and faster too soon. You don't want to get an injury.
  • dgoodie92
    dgoodie92 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    My British army run time at selection was 10:45 for the 1.5 mi but at home my fastest has been 9:58.

At my selection the fastest time was 8:03 I start my Infantry training on the 18th.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I would say work on endurance also as your endurance builds so will your speed, along with some hill sprints. I can maintain a 8 minute mile for about 6 miles before I start slowing down, I can easily do 1.5 miles in 12.5 minutes and I am 48. I use treadmill also but I speed it up by about 30 seconds per mile since the treadmill is easier. Also you are only 21 the speed will come quick. I was overweight and not fit when I went in the army at basic my PT test I ran about a 8 minute mile for 2 miles. Had to run it in under like 18 minutes or so