U.S. Navy 1.5 Mile run time

Options

Replies

• sarnold958
    sarnold958 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I ran a mile last night after I got off work at the PD (yes shockingly I work as a police officer and a volunteer firefighter/emt) and I ran it in 9:25. Obviously for my age the time for the mile and a half (navy does 1.5) is 12:30. I'm 21 years old and should be able to do the 1.5 mile run in under that time. I have some coworkers that run the 1.5 in 9:00....*kitten*. I've never been a big runner. I played football in high school so I did sprints but my endurance for distance is really not existant. I'm running about every other day. I am 6'1 and 216lbs. Going in as an E3 so not worried about rank in boot camp. I feel squared away with push-ups and sit-ups because that's what the navy does, as well as the 50meter swim test. I just need to know that I'll crush the run by the third PFT
  • sarnold958
    Options
    I Should add not that it's relevant but I swore in August 6, 2015 in New York in the Lt Michael P Murphy room as a HM (Hospital Corpsman) with the goal of crushing A school and getting my FMTB (Field Medical Training Battalion) orders so I can earn my Fleet Marine Force pin and be a combat medic with the USMC. I want nothing more than to earn the title devil doc. My grandpa was and I want to carry on the tradition of keeping the boots on the ground alive at all costs
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    sarnold958 wrote: »
    I Should add not that it's relevant but I swore in August 6, 2015 in New York in the Lt Michael P Murphy room as a HM (Hospital Corpsman) with the goal of crushing A school and getting my FMTB (Field Medical Training Battalion) orders so I can earn my Fleet Marine Force pin and be a combat medic with the USMC. I want nothing more than to earn the title devil doc. My grandpa was and I want to carry on the tradition of keeping the boots on the ground alive at all costs

Very relevant - You're going to love it!
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,070 Member
    Options
    One item not mentioned yet is the effect of elevation. My last year in the AF stationed in Colorado (elev 6800), I went TDY (work trip) to Florida for a week. Running in the evenings, I pulled almost two full minutes off my run time.

Are you going down in elevation from where you are now to where you'll conduct boot? The elevation change will help. If you're already at the same elevation, spending one day a week running somewhere higher elevation can also do wonders. When I was in high school, our cross country team spent one day a week going by bus to a nearby ski resort (in the fall, no snow). The combination of hills plus high elevation made running flat at lower elevation seem easy in comparison.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    One would need more than a day for the adaptation. Also it's highly unlikely one would be running at VO2Max for 1.5 miles. Reverse, high to low, yes. See http://sportsscientists.com/2007/07/altitude-training-the-basics/
  • sarnold958
    Options
    I'm on the jersey shore in NJ. I would be going from sea level to Naval Station Great Lakes, so I'd consider that a fair change
  • sarnold958
    Options
    Ran it again just now (0330) and ran 1 mile in 9:12. Better than the 9:25 from last night at the same time same conditions (slight ocean breeze at sea level, 66 degrees low humidity). I think I'm moving in a direction that I hopefully won't have to stress about the 1.5er at boot camp if I keep shaving time off like this considering I haven't run in over a year.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    kcjchang wrote: »
    Unless things change a lot since I enlisted, your will be doing PT as part of the basic training. I went from unable to run for more than a few feet to 13:54 for my 2 mile test in eight weeks (Army). The training consist of progressive longer run and faster pace. Don't waste your time sprinting.

Cosign- I wouldn't stop running between now and then- but get close and don't sweat it- you have a lot of training ahead of yourself.

Secondly- whats with people signing up for stuff and not being physically prepared? That one girl a month ago with her police academy thing? What do you people do from the time you apply to the time they go "hey by the way you're going in 1.5 months?"

I had to do a similar test. When I signed up I started running immediately. I ended up with shin splints. I went to my doctor who told me to rest. So I did until they were better, then ran, then got shin splints, rested, repeat. I entered the program not even running further than a half a mile (I was a weight lifter, no cardio besides walking. I ran the full 1.5 in the first week but not in required time) and ended up just running through the shin splints.

I wish I had meanderingmammals advice back then too.
  • sarnold958
    Options
    I am running a mile consistently at a good (for someone who hasn't run in over a year) pace at around 9minutes per mile. I need to add a half mile and get it all under 12:30 but I think I can do it before even October because I may be leaving either October or March for basic training for the navy. Then when I get to the marines I'll have to do 3 miles in like 20 or something crazy. Gonna be sick
  • CSARdiver
    Options
    I am running a mile consistently at a good (for someone who hasn't run in over a year) pace at around 9minutes per mile. I need to add a half mile and get it all under 12:30 but I think I can do it before even October because I may be leaving either October or March for basic training for the navy. Then when I get to the marines I'll have to do 3 miles in like 20 or something crazy. Gonna be sick

Do what you can to stay in shape at boot camp. PT is not stressed nearly as much as it should be and many recruits gain weight.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,070 Member
    Options
    I gained weight during boot, but I entered super thin and most of what I gained was muscle.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I ran a mile last night after I got off work at the PD (yes shockingly I work as a police officer and a volunteer firefighter/emt) and I ran it in 9:25. Obviously for my age the time for the mile and a half (navy does 1.5) is 12:30. I'm 21 years old and should be able to do the 1.5 mile run in under that time. I have some coworkers that run the 1.5 in 9:00....*****. I've never been a big runner. I played football in high school so I did sprints but my endurance for distance is really not existant. I'm running about every other day. I am 6'1 and 216lbs. Going in as an E3 so not worried about rank in boot camp. I feel squared away with push-ups and sit-ups because that's what the navy does, as well as the 50meter swim test. I just need to know that I'll crush the run by the third PFT

On the topic of size I'm 6'2" and currently weight about 230 lbs. I did about 8 miles @ a 9:10 avg. pace yesterday so bigger guys like us can still do it. That won't keep you down. One of those miles was under an 8:00 pace. I had to pass all these high school kids that were out running just to give older guys a better reputation.

Sounds like you're doing a good job. Just don't feel the need to run it as fast as you can every time. I typically run around 9:45 - 10:30 miles. Just nice and easy. There's tons of benefit in doing a casual easy pace.
  • sarnold958
    Options
    I ran just now in the heat on the boardwalk (flat paved path, not that decking material) and I ran one mile at 9 minutes flat. That's pretty good progress for it being my 4th non-consecutive day of running in over a year. I started at 10:25 and am at 9 flat 4 tries later for one mile.
  • sarnold958
    Options
    Just ashamed of how out of shape I have become as a 21 year old male and former college athlete. Even after the academy I just stopped running because I was working steady midnights in a busy city
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

Do what you can to stay in shape at boot camp. PT is not stressed nearly as much as it should be and many recruits gain weight.

really? I PTd my *kitten* off...pretty much every thing we did involved some kind of PT including double timing it to the chow hall. I'm pretty sure the DIs just pulled reasons out of their *kitten* to PT you for disciplinary reasons...

I gained weight in boot but that's because I was rail thin and put on double rations...there were a couple of us in that situation...everyone I knew who was "fat and nasty" going in came out lean green Marines though.

IDK...maybe things have changed.
  • CSARdiver
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

really? I PTd my *kitten* off...pretty much every thing we did involved some kind of PT including double timing it to the chow hall. I'm pretty sure the DIs just pulled reasons out of their *kitten* to PT you for disciplinary reasons...

I gained weight in boot but that's because I was rail thin and put on double rations...there were a couple of us in that situation...everyone I knew who was "fat and nasty" going in came out lean green Marines though.

Navy boot camp - HUGE difference. The only exception is if you are SEAL/SAR/Diver candidate, then they allowed you additional training time. Then this is my experience from 1995-2003.
  • aaroessler
    aaroessler Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You're young, just run and you'll be fine. General training advice: Take at least 1 day off per week. Always run at least 3 days per week with at least 1 other day doing something else that's a hard workout (riding a bike or swimming laps). Make sure at least one of these is a long easy workout 1+ hours. Have just one of these be a fast short workout where you maintain a constant speed throughout the workout. If you go for a long slow run mix sprints into the end of your workout (5 or 6 hard sprints for at least 100 yards). If you go on a hard run make sure to lightly jog the last mile and stretch out well before and after to prevent injury.
  • sarnold958
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Navy boot camp - HUGE difference. The only exception is if you are SEAL/SAR/Diver candidate, then they allowed you additional training time. Then this is my experience from 1995-2003.
    Huge difference is right. The navy boot verses marine boot is night and day.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I spent my 4 years in Little Creek amphibious warfare base

Run Run Run

There is an obstacle course at the front gate as you go on base. We ran it weekly. Some nights coming back off liberty half drunk we would run it against each other for the hell of it

Exercise is a good thing. Get all kinds in. Run, bike, row, do 100 non stop push-ups

I just a bit ago finished a triathlon training ride. 40 miles at 18+ mph. Tomorrow will be run day.

I'm 54. No excuses allowed. Get out and bust hump and be prepared for excellence.

But we did fast intervals and then a distance day. Distance days are good but fast intervals give you wind

The ride today Proof to keep it real.

7nyxznuxh2ox.jpg
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Meanderingmammal is giving you the best advice here. Run more easy miles and build up your endurance. I'm 44 and I can run 1.5 miles in about 11 - 11.5 minutes. It's not from sprinting or doing interval work. Most of that is due to lots and lots of easy miles.

Agreed! I got faster by running more miles. Not too many though, maybe 5k every other day and my own pace. Just did this 1.5 mile run under that time this morning to meet my weekly mileage goal and I m 40.