Ever eat a brain sandwich?

Options
2»

Replies

• gracetillman
    gracetillman Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Growing up my grandmother used to make a Lamb Brain dish but I don't remember eating it.

Now I don't think I could eat it -- knowing what it is I couldn't eat it. I have trouble eating meat on the bone because I think about what it is too much. My meat cannot look like meat or I have trouble eating it. (I know I am weird!!)
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    St Louis has a LOT of great food and beer too.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Sesos in Mexico
    Cervelle de veau and tete de veau in France

Meh, had a few times, not a big fan.

Quite common in Europe.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    we eat goat and lamb brains all the time. They taste like really tasty and rich eggs and we eat them for breaky. I really want some brains right now!
  • Coquette6
    Coquette6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Well they used to serve beef brain. But after the big "Mad Cow" scare a few years back they switched to pork brains, even though they're cooked long & hot enough to destroy anything that might transmit it.

Science geek here. Cooking wouldn't kill the prion that transmits BSE. It's extremely resistant. When they burn carcases, they have to reach a minimum of 850C/1562F to destroy it.

And yes, I've always wanted to try brains. I've never had it, but based one what I know about it's structure and having handled them in anatomy class, I imagine "deep fried scrambled eggs" is probably pretty accurate.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Science geek here. Cooking wouldn't kill the prion that transmits BSE. It's extremely resistant. When they burn carcases, they have to reach a minimum of 850C/1562F to destroy it.

And yes, I've always wanted to try brains. I've never had it, but based one what I know about it's structure and having handled them in anatomy class, I imagine "deep fried scrambled eggs" is probably pretty accurate.

WOW! Good catch. I double checked and found this: http://www.webmd.com/brain/mad-cow-disease-basics
    that shows you're absolutely right. Thanks.
  • Wienerbua
    Wienerbua Posts: 19
    Options
    Although I have not tried, I would like to. I frequently eat high quality organ meats I can get at my farmer's market, bison and beef liver, tongue and heart are my favorites. Organ meats are generally more fatty, nutritious and flavorful than the standard American meat cuts that are more generally in demand. Moreover, the fats in high quality organ meats are quite healthy.

Kudos to you for trying something different.
  • Mjhnbgff
    Mjhnbgff Posts: 112
    Options
    No, this isn't a zombie joke! There a delicacy around St. Louis, Missouri. They originated around there because that's where the stockyards were set up back in the 1800's. Oddly enough there wasn't an entry in MFP so I had to do some research just to get an estimate of the calorie count. Look up "Schottzie's - Brain Sandwich" on your food tab. They taste alot like breaded deep fried scrambled eggs. Not a lot of flavor, but add a little mustard or pickles or onions and it's certainly a change of pace. Imagine how much fun you can have grossing out all of your friends!!!

What kind of brain? Back in the 80s before the Mad Cow Disease thing, calf brain was available at the grocery stores. We used to eat it when we were kids. I think brains are very nutritious--lots of fat and protein--but I can't/won't eat offal anymore.