does anyone else log like this?

Options

Replies

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    I do this, but I don't overreact when people ask if I'm actually weighing them. I just point out what you did here; my logged amount is equal to what I actually ate.

There's normally an easy clue to determine between someone who is actually weighing and just using the measurement listed in the database vs. someone who is measuring or just eyeballing. The majority of my diary is entered as grams using whole food components and most of my "measured" entries are not whole numbers. If I see those two things, I typically wouldn't ask a user if they were weighing; they most likely are.

The corollary to the above, though, is that users who weigh and log properly are not the typical posters of "Why am I not losing" threads. Chances are, if you understand the concept of weighing and logging and you're doing it consistently, you know exactly why you're not losing.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with what you are doing whatsoever, people are just picky and judgy :P
    No. People are trying to help. They start with trying to eliminate logging errors as the cause of the problem at hand. You, on the other hand, are being judgy.

• noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I try to log weight as much as I can. I've gotten so good at it that I was able to eyeball a piece of chicken the other day, and before I measured it I said to my husband, this looks about 3.5 oz. It was exactly 3.5 oz! LOL. He was pretty impressed. But that said, I never weigh my oatmeal (I always use a measuring cup) or the flaxseed that I add to it, and I have it EVERY morning, but that hasn't hindered my progress at all. I guess for me it just depends.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with what you are doing whatsoever, people are just picky and judgy :P

What people? :huh:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    I've always just logged using measuring cups/spoons and have been successful. That's worked for a small deficit from food + daily moderate exercise.

But now, with a very small deficit , not much to lose, and not being able to exercise much, which means I now have almost no margin for error, I may have to get a scale.

I just find the scale so much easier than messing with cups and tsps. I suspect I could have lost using either (I was losing before I started using the scale, but I did have a larger deficit then too).
  • lemurcat12
    Options

In every case where I have seen where someone is asked if they're weighing their food, it's because they have asked the community for help and advice because they aren't losing weight. I wouldn't call this "picky and judgy," not weighing food is a pretty common trend among people who aren't getting the results they want. If someone is actually weighing their food and logging it based on the cup/tablespoon, it's an easy clarification for them to make when it is brought up.
    This.
    I do this, but I don't overreact when people ask if I'm actually weighing them. I just point out what you did here; my logged amount is equal to what I actually ate.
    And this. I don't open my diary because I'm losing weight just fine, but if I did and asked for advise, I'd probably put an explanation in the original post and move on. Explaining this isn't hard.

I would do exactly this too.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Some people get way too stressed out about getting calories exactly right. There's really no reason why other people have to do things the same way they do. Used a kitchen scale maybe two or three times the whole time I was losing weight and I had no trouble reaching my goal of losing sixty pounds. So, do whatever works for you.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    If you're losing weight, you're doing it right. For people who post that they are eating at their calorie goal but not losing weight, it makes sense for them to look at how accurate they are with logging.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

In every case where I have seen where someone is asked if they're weighing their food, it's because they have asked the community for help and advice because they aren't losing weight. I wouldn't call this "picky and judgy," not weighing food is a pretty common trend among people who aren't getting the results they want. If someone is actually weighing their food and logging it based on the cup/tablespoon, it's an easy clarification for them to make when it is brought up.

Well yes and no. A lot of times, OP says that they are weighing their food, yet people come and say that there are a lot of entries in cups in their diary... Personally, well, I take OP's word (although I will mention if OP uses a lot of 'generic' entries for homemade dishes). But if OP says 'I measure and weigh everything' I do tend to ask what they mean by 'measuring', because if someone is weighing everything, I don't really know where the 'measure' is coming from.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I don't worry all that much. I weigh all food I prepare myself ( which is 90 plus % ) and if on occasion I pull something down from the data base and it shows up in oz or cups, I don't mind.
    I know I am staying within my calories, I have lost enough weight ( 65 plus pounds ) to not have a reason to complain, eat a healthy and varied diet.....and that is all that matters to me. If people tell me that I am not doing things the way they think I should....well, all I can say; it's my life, my health and my body.
    One thing however I listen to: it is when people say we should weigh or measure our food. I would never eyeball portions, because for someone who eats 1200 calories ( being almost 70 and under 5 feet tall ) even being 10 % off with the eyeballing would not be good for me.
  • SaffronSunrise
    SaffronSunrise Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything and log it in grams or .25 ounces but I've noticed it sometimes shows up in my diary .25 cups, etc.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    No. People are trying to help. They start with trying to eliminate logging errors as the cause of the problem at hand. You, on the other hand, are being judgy.

Maybe the words " picky & judgy " are a bit strong, but I also think that the OP is just fine with what she does. Especially since she did not mention any " problem at hand " that might have to do with logging and only asked if what she did made sense and if she did something wrong.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Well yes and no. A lot of times, OP says that they are weighing their food, yet people come and say that there are a lot of entries in cups in their diary... Personally, well, I take OP's word (although I will mention if OP uses a lot of 'generic' entries for homemade dishes). But if OP says 'I measure and weigh everything' I do tend to ask what they mean by 'measuring', because if someone is weighing everything, I don't really know where the 'measure' is coming from.

Most times when I see that happen, they go on to clarify that they are weighing some things but not others (they don't weigh bread, for example).
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Ang108 wrote: »

Maybe the words " picky & judgy " are a bit strong, but I also think that the OP is just fine with what she does. Especially since she did not mention any " problem at hand " that might have to do with logging and only asked if what she did made sense and if she did something wrong.

Has anyone told OP she is wrong?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I find the entry that matches the info on my food container or SND/USDA for fresh produce and work out how much the gram weight is to the Imperial measurement. Yesterday, I ate a Dare wagon wheel for dessert. It's logged as "1 cookie" because that's what the entry is and it matches the info for "1 cookie or 35 grams" (cookie weighed 35 g). The ciabatta bun I had today is "1 bun" because there's no consensus on the weight of the bun - no info on my bag from Costco, so taking the entry that matches the other entries for my other diaries.
  • lord_emperor
    lord_emperor Posts: 10 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I stressed over a couple of things, then I took a minute and both measured their volume and weighed them. Everything worked out to within +/- 2 grams or 5 Calories. In the end whichever measurement is close enough as long as you're doing it properly (i.e. a tablespoon stops at the top of the spoon).

Some examples:
    All bran buds, official serving 1/3 cup or 28 grams = 70 Cal. My 1/3 cup weighted 29 grams.
    Fresh peach 2.5" diameter = 64 Calories or 170g = 66 Calories. My peach weighed 172 grams.
  • lemurcat12
    edited August 2015
    Options
    0myHeer0 wrote: »
    If we can see your diary that would help

This is what I say. Also, there are tricks to logging, so we might be able to help if you are willing to open your diary.

When reading diaries to try to help I focus more on entries chosen and whether there may be an issue with weighing cooked meats and logging raw (I ask, don't assume), since I'm bad at seeing other issues and am less convinced that not weighing is the issue (although weighing is, IMO, easier).

Sometimes I think people want to have an excuse to get offended by anything, though -- like the response to OP here was perfectly positive and she doesn't seem to have a problem.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Most times when I see that happen, they go on to clarify that they are weighing some things but not others (they don't weigh bread, for example).

Do you weigh bread????? I never did or ever will and I have in maintenance for almost 5 years. I think that sometimes we take things to the extreme trying to be super accurate without realizing that "life" is not accurate.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    If someone looked at my diary it may not look accurate because you would see cups and tablespoons. But what they don't know is I have weighed everything in grams. I have then checked with multiple calorie websites to determine exactly what what the calories should be per gram for that particular item. I then pick the highest one or the one that I feel is probably accurate. But ultimately it comes down to if you are losing weight at the pace your calorie deficit would imply. If you are not then you are not logging accurately. 3500 calories is a pound. Do the math.