does anyone else log like this?

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with what you are doing whatsoever, people are just picky and judgy :P

In every case where I have seen where someone is asked if they're weighing their food, it's because they have asked the community for help and advice because they aren't losing weight. I wouldn't call this "picky and judgy," not weighing food is a pretty common trend among people who aren't getting the results they want. If someone is actually weighing their food and logging it based on the cup/tablespoon, it's an easy clarification for them to make when it is brought up.

Well yes and no. A lot of times, OP says that they are weighing their food, yet people come and say that there are a lot of entries in cups in their diary... Personally, well, I take OP's word (although I will mention if OP uses a lot of 'generic' entries for homemade dishes). But if OP says 'I measure and weigh everything' I do tend to ask what they mean by 'measuring', because if someone is weighing everything, I don't really know where the 'measure' is coming from.

Most times when I see that happen, they go on to clarify that they are weighing some things but not others (they don't weigh bread, for example).

Do you weigh bread????? I never did or ever will and I have in maintenance for almost 5 years. I think that sometimes we take things to the extreme trying to be super accurate without realizing that "life" is not accurate.

I do... it's always off.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I dont' really weigh anything except meat since I'm bad at eyeballing proteins. When I'm not losing weight though I always know why and it's generally not because I estimated a few things poorly.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with what you are doing whatsoever, people are just picky and judgy :P

In every case where I have seen where someone is asked if they're weighing their food, it's because they have asked the community for help and advice because they aren't losing weight. I wouldn't call this "picky and judgy," not weighing food is a pretty common trend among people who aren't getting the results they want. If someone is actually weighing their food and logging it based on the cup/tablespoon, it's an easy clarification for them to make when it is brought up.

Well yes and no. A lot of times, OP says that they are weighing their food, yet people come and say that there are a lot of entries in cups in their diary... Personally, well, I take OP's word (although I will mention if OP uses a lot of 'generic' entries for homemade dishes). But if OP says 'I measure and weigh everything' I do tend to ask what they mean by 'measuring', because if someone is weighing everything, I don't really know where the 'measure' is coming from.

Most times when I see that happen, they go on to clarify that they are weighing some things but not others (they don't weigh bread, for example).

Do you weigh bread????? I never did or ever will and I have in maintenance for almost 5 years. I think that sometimes we take things to the extreme trying to be super accurate without realizing that "life" is not accurate.

I weigh every non-liquid food I eat at home. If someone is losing weight or maintaining and not weighing food works for them, there is no reason for them to change. When we're talking about people who are not meeting their goals, why wouldn't they want to get an accurate idea of how many calories they're actually consuming?

Calorie counting is always going to have some ambiguity or uncertainty built-in. My goal was to minimize it as much as possible so I could use my wiggle room on things like estimating the calories when eating out.

If your way works for you, there is no reason to change. But if things aren't working for someone . . . yeah, figuring out whether logging is accurate can be game-changing.
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I log the same way. I weigh solids, measure liquids, but will log 1 tbsp or 1/4 cup/28 grams even if the entry I use is listed that way. My diary is for me to log my macros and calories, not for someone else to judge me for my supposed inaccuracies. I'm not asking anyone to peek at my diary either for critiques either.
    It's all a trial and error game to me. If your method works for you, keep it up!
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Ang108 wrote: »
    No. People are trying to help. They start with trying to eliminate logging errors as the cause of the problem at hand. You, on the other hand, are being judgy.

Maybe the words " picky & judgy " are a bit strong, but I also think that the OP is just fine with what she does. Especially since she did not mention any " problem at hand " that might have to do with logging and only asked if what she did made sense and if she did something wrong.
    And everyone, as far as I can tell, told her it made sense and that she wasn't doing anything wrong. What's your point, exactly?

• karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Lolllll bread it's something you are never going to see in my food scale #hellNo #ItrusinhimAndHeTrustInMe... and don't really think not weighing bread is a good example or reason why someone would no be losing weight

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    karyabc wrote: »

Lolllll bread it's something you would never going to see in my food scale #hellNo #ItrusinhimAndHeTrustInMe... and don't really think not weighing bread is a good example or reason why someone would no be losing weight

It seems ridiculous, but the bread I weighed on Monday was 12g heavier than the serving size on the package indicated. That's 22% more than it said I would be eating. Not weighing bread, especially if it's a high-calorie version, could easily lead someone to not lose weight.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Yes. If anyone ever needs to look at my diary I will explain that. Otherwise, it's for me to know so whatever.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options

Lolllll bread it's something you would never going to see in my food scale #hellNo #ItrusinhimAndHeTrustInMe... and don't really think not weighing bread is a good example or reason why someone would no be losing weight

It seems ridiculous, but the bread I weighed on Monday was 12g heavier than the serving size on the package indicated. That's 22% more than it said I would be eating. Not weighing bread, especially if it's a high-calorie version, could easily lead someone to not lose weight.

I must have gotten the other piece. I had one 12g lighter on Sunday... The rest were all +/- 3g from the claimed serving weight
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I see that as I have 74.5 pounds to loose. An estimated weight is going to move me in the right direction and don't worry about such a small amount of imprecision.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    It is NOT sad that this is your third journey. Most people need 7 tries to stay at goal. And one ins ?200? gain it all back. Stay here with us so that achieve goal and stay there.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Too lazy for weighing. If I'm doing my exercise and I *think* I'm eating within my calorie range but losing stops, then at that point I'll start to do it. For now, I do my best eyeball guesstimate.
  • karyabc
    Options

Yeah hahahaahah I believe you, but IDK :D if it is working don't try to fix it I guess (in my case not weighing my bread is def. A no no)
    But for those who do it , good for you !
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Yeah hahahaahah I believe you, but IDK :D if it is working don't try to fix it I guess (in my case not weighing my bread is def. A no no)

No doubt. I don't know that it's necessarily affecting my success, but the more accurate I log, the better the chance I can find room for beer and whiskey.
  • karyabc
    Options

No doubt. I don't know that it's necessary affecting my success, but the more accurate I log, the better the chance I can find room for beer and whiskey.

Yes sir! #cheers :wink: :
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I never weigh anything and I rarely measure either. I'm the sloppiest logger in the history of the universe. I've been successful though.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options

No doubt. I don't know that it's necessarily affecting my success, but the more accurate I log, the better the chance I can find room for beer and whiskey.

Now, that is your reason for weighting bread. Naughty boy!
  • Angelfire365
    Angelfire365 Posts: 803 Member
    Options

I must have gotten the other piece. I had one 12g lighter on Sunday... The rest were all +/- 3g from the claimed serving weight

I bought a nice round loaf of rye bread. The serving size was two pieces or 50 grams. One piece weighed 60g by itself!! I'm pretty sure it was because the bread was round instead of it's usual loaf shape. . . But if I hadn't weighted, that would have been around a 150 calorie difference.
  • goteammummy
    goteammummy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but I will not be weighing my food for the tiny variations from the package size stated.
    There is surely far more margin for error in the measurement of daily activity, or the exercise you do. Was it 20 minutes of walking, or was it 21? How long did I wait at the crossing, and so on.
    I think I would become obsessed if I had to worry about an extra couple of grams of bread!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but I will not be weighing my food for the tiny variations from the package size stated.
    There is surely far more margin for error in the measurement of daily activity, or the exercise you do. Was it 20 minutes of walking, or was it 21? How long did I wait at the crossing, and so on.
    I think I would become obsessed if I had to worry about an extra couple of grams of bread!

Tiny? I've had a bunch of things end up 50+ more calories than what the package says. When your deficit is small (250 calories), that can wipe off a big chunk of your deficit.