"Cheat Day"

Options
Morning every one :)

I'd like to pick your brains, if that's ok!

I really don't like the term 'cheat day' so forgive me for the title but that seems to be the common way to describe a non calorie counting day.

I'm 5"2, 132 lbs, work-out 4 times a week and aim to lose 0.5lbs per week on 1500 daily calories (does this sound about right?)

I am fine with this number and don't feel deprived but my question is - how often is acceptable to introduce a 'refeed'? In my case, a 'refeed' or 'cheat day' would be a day where I don't count calories (though don't binge either) and CAN order a takeaway in the evening with friends and have a few glasses of wine without worrying about changes on the scales TOO much. I've known some people to 'cheat' once a week - others to not 'cheat' at all. But admittedly, I haven't had a Nando's in 4 months and I am practically salivating at the idea! (Heh)

There are a lot of conflicting views online in regards to "cheating" so I'm just trying to find an answer that I can work with. Obviously I wouldn't make a habit of over-eating but to relax for one day out of a month (for example) - would that cause weight changes? Thank you!

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I don't like the term cheat day either... make's me die a little inside whenever I hear it.

There really isn't any point in a refeed if you're still seeing progress etc. The thing is with cheat days... they're made completely futile by the use of IIFYM (hitting your micro and macronutrient goals whilst eating foods you enjoy). That way, you don't have to think "omfg it's sunday it's a cheat day".

I'm sure you could either bank calories (i.e. save 100 calories a day, that's an extra 700 calories) or eat at maintenance for a day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01GwEFa-gZY
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Well, it would cause weight changes - you'd weigh more than if you didn't do it (assuming you go over your calories) - but it would be a tiny amount. You'll probably put on a few pounds of water weight the next day but that'll disappear in a day or two.

I have a cheat day whenever it's convenient, like if I'm going to a party or celebration meal or BBQ or whatever. Things like that are rare enough that it doesn't really matter to my overall diet. If I can log it accurately I still log it, but if I can't, I don't really bother. I also usually try to eat less for the few days afterwards (or before if I know it's coming). Though I'm now at a point where I'm pretty much happy with my body and weight so I don't mind cheat days so much as I don't need to lose weight as much as I did before, when I was losing before I hardly ever had days like this.

Just make your cheat days aren't often enough or big enough to remove your deficit and it's fine. They're not needed to make you lose weight or anything, but they're good if it'll help you stick to your diet.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I have days where my activity level is really high. I might workout for two hours, clean the house, and then go sight seeing on a Saturday. Activity can easily get to 2000 calories. It isn't really cheating at that point and the net for the day can end up as a deficit.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I'm not looking to make this a regular thing - mainly occasions such as birthdays, the rare night out (once a month at most). An old friend is visiting me on Saturday and has suggested we order a curry. Now my diet is telling me "DON'T YOU DARE!" but me being a human being is saying "Jeez have a curry with your friend, have a LIFE".

On an old thread, a girl was asking about 'cheat meals' once or twice a month and someone responded with "You're only cheating yourself". Whilst I understand that fat loss is about consistency and discipline - is this naughty meal once in a blue moon going to be so detrimental?
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I'm not looking to make this a regular thing - mainly occasions such as birthdays, the rare night out (once a month at most). An old friend is visiting me on Saturday and has suggested we order a curry. Now my diet is telling me "DON'T YOU DARE!" but me being a human being is saying "Jeez have a curry with your friend, have a LIFE".

On an old thread, a girl was asking about 'cheat meals' once or twice a month and someone responded with "You're only cheating yourself". Whilst I understand that fat loss is about consistency and discipline - is this naughty meal once in a blue moon going to be so detrimental?

The bolded is my attitude; I don't have cheat days and generally allow daily treats into my calorie allowance, but I love food and dear God, life is short so do the things you enjoy! Granted, I'm not losing as fast as I could, but I am happy with the balance I have :)
  • DemoraFairy
    Options

It really won't be too detrimental. Also remember that if you only go a few hundred calories over you're probably just eating at around maintenance.

'You're only cheating yourself' is true if you consider it cheating. If you consider it just part of your diet (which I do, even though I still call them 'cheat days'), then you're not really cheating yourself.
  • PinkPixiexox
    Options
    Noldea101, Thank you! I was kind of taken aback by the 'you're only cheating yourself' comment. I kind of feel like I've been restricting myself so much and I don't really want to feel guilty for being social and celebrating events with my friends. I'm sure if I do have an enormous blow-out one weekend and eat an enormous curry (and probably enjoy every second, not gonna lie!) will slow that weeks progress somewhat.

I'm also positive consistent weekly weight loss is VERY possible given that you are VERY strict. I've lost 25lbs in 3 months by not having a single treat and It has made me miserable, miserable, miserable.. I'm sure if I had incorperated the odd Nandos into those 3 months, I would be looking at a 14lb loss (i'm guessing) instead. I suppose it comes down to whether you want to live like a human or live like a computer - giving your body the exact number it has asked each day or listening to your body when it says "I want to join in with my friends for just one day!"

• elos18
    elos18 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Will it make you happier to relax a little bit and have fun with your friends for an evening every now and again and not feel guilty or to know that you resisted temptation?

IMO, I'm always happier to have a life and enjoy a few "cheats" with friends and family. If I do deprive myself I can end up obsessing over it and then eat more that I probably would've done if I had just "given in"!
  • PinkPixiexox
    Options
    elos18 wrote: »
    Will it make you happier to relax a little bit and have fun with your friends for an evening every now and again and not feel guilty or to know that you resisted temptation?

IMO, I'm always happier to have a life and enjoy a few "cheats" with friends and family. If I do deprive myself I can end up obsessing over it and then eat more that I probably would've done if I had just "given in"!

Exactly my view! I think I'm getting too obsessed over the consequences..
  • Firefly0606
    Firefly0606 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    You are cheating yourself IF losing weight is the game, and your goal weight is the goal you will tick off your bucket list once you are there.

However...

If you are trying to learn how to eat / exercise / live your life in such a way that drops the extra kg's you are carrying now, and that you can maintain for the rest of your life...then there is no such thing cheating. Life is not a game to be won, but a journey to be lived.

So....

EAT THE CURRY! ;)
  • DemoraFairy
    Options
    Oh I meant to ask, why not just go to Nandos anyway? They publish their calorie information. A burger is only 368 calories. Unless you only want to go for the really high calorie stuff!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    If youve been miserable then its not a lifestyle change I would want.
    Weight loss is just cico, so its still useful to track what you eat, but of needs be accept that its unrestricted for that day. The reason I say track is so you know how much over you have gone. 3000 or 300 theres a big diffetence.
    Understand that one day or an infrequent event will not throw you off track, just maybe slow you down a litle because of the extra calories you have consumed. No point pretending it hasnt happened and its better to feel in control.

Cheat days can help some people have a much needed rest, but as long as you accept the calories you have gone over its cool. Its a marathon not a sprint and you also have to find soemthing that works for you.

Another way you could approach it is to bank calories, do an extra 15 mins exerise for the day etc, keep an eye on your fornightly or monthly calories and then you will know how much extra calories you cna spend whilst still being roughly on target.
  • elos18
    elos18 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I think so too lol. There are some people that have a "treat" every day and still lose and there are people that never have a "treat", it's all about what works for you. Is having a "treat day" good for your body... Probably not.. Is it good for your mental health? In my experience, yes! As long as you try and moderate your "treats" to fit in your daily/ weekly allowance or don't have a 5000 calorie blow out every week I can't see it making a large difference in terms of your weight loss, it certainly hasn't for me! So have fun!! Enjoy that curry ;)
  • PinkPixiexox
    Options
    Elos18, I certainly will. Thank you for your advice! :) (Although I certainly wouldn't mind a 5000 blow out if I could get away with it heh!)

DemoraFairy - I didn't think of that! So I can still have Nando's and quite possibly stay within my allowance to lose weight? Awesome! Thank god for MFP having the majority of foods on their database. Makes it so much easier than Weight Watchers!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    The odd splurge won't make too much difference and as you say yourself makes this whole thing easier to stick with. I'm not going to put my life on hold whilst losing weight, if I'm to be successful long term I need to learn how to work all those meals out and special events into my life without them causing me to regain. If it means I lose ever so slightly slower then so be it because one day I will be at goal and when I get there I'll have learned all the tools I need to maintain for life.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Oh I meant to ask, why not just go to Nandos anyway? They publish their calorie information. A burger is only 368 calories. Unless you only want to go for the really high calorie stuff!

Choc-a-lot cake... it's seriously the best dessert they do.

Cheeky nandos incoming

izd6lbdnzbo2.jpg
  • PinkPixiexox
    Options
    Choc a lot cake is an old friend of mine - but I'm sorry to say that these days, the first place it'll go is straight to my thighs! So unfortunately for me, Choc a lot cake isn't even considered anymore :(!!! Hahaha
  • DemoraFairy
    Options
    Choc a lot cake is an old friend of mine - but I'm sorry to say that these days, the first place it'll go is straight to my thighs! So unfortunately for me, Choc a lot cake isn't even considered anymore :(!!! Hahaha

It doesn't matter if it's in your calories. If you eat extra calories you'll put on fat wherever you put on fat, what you eat doesn't matter. So have your chocolate cake!

And the MFP database is useful, but don't rely on it. A lot of it is out of date. Look up the calorie information and check it against the records in the database. If you can't find what you want in the database, either add it yourself, or (if you're feeling lazy) just add it as quick add calories. You won't have the macros but at least the calories will be correct.
  • PinkPixiexox
    Options

It doesn't matter if it's in your calories. If you eat extra calories you'll put on fat wherever you put on fat, what you eat doesn't matter. So have your chocolate cake!

And the MFP database is useful, but don't rely on it. A lot of it is out of date. Look up the calorie information and check it against the records in the database. If you can't find what you want in the database, either add it yourself, or (if you're feeling lazy) just add it as quick add calories. You won't have the macros but at least the calories will be correct.

I have noticed on products such as medium eggs - it is listed as 50 cals per egg but I know it's around 88. I know it's not much of a difference but it's the little things to look out for too!
  • DemoraFairy
    Options

I have noticed on products such as medium eggs - it is listed as 50 cals per egg but I know it's around 88. I know it's not much of a difference but it's the little things to look out for too!

Funny you should say that, I made a post on another thread about exactly that subject haha. This is why weighing everything is a good idea!