Safety while running

Options

Replies

• michellechawner
    Options
    My town just had it's first murder victim in the 17 years it's been a town, so i'm not worries - i do however go walking with my mom and just earlier took the dog for a jog. Now, the dog is 20 pounds, but he's a barker. He'll draw all sorts of attention if someone comes too close or if he doesn't like someone. I never have earbuds in, and i never go in the dark. When i have to walk him late at night sometimes, I call my boyfriend and we'll chat on my walk. Usually my brother takes him at night, or my dad (brother is 5'10, 275 and dad is 5'10, 220, so no one is messing with them). I also have an Kubaton/pepper spray combo on my key set when I bring all my keys with me (I worked security a few years ago).
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I carry a gun, dog, pepper spray, pre dial 911, hire a body guard, and wear a bullet proof vest before I go on a run.

I also dip my feet in fluorescent orange paint so I leave a clearly Identifiable trail so people can come and find me.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I just walk (not really a runner but I love taking walks) during the day and try to stay aware of my surroundings! I also make sure I have my phone with me, but that's about it.
  • RoamingDuck
    Options
    I try to stay alert of my surroundings and otherwise don't worry about it. No point living in fear.
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Let's face it, you could be in a gated community and if your time is up, it's up. Running is supposed to be relaxing not anxiety producing. I try to run in relatively "safe" places and I watch out for dogs but other than that, I crank up the tunes and run my *kitten* off!
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    It must be awful being in constant fear like that.
    I think its harder for men to understand, I can't tell if you're being serious or not, but it actually does suck. If you've never been out walking and had a car full of guys slow down and try to talk to you or have people shout inappropriate things at you as they pass then maybe it's hard to understand, but for most women it's very common. Not to mention the statistics aren't exactly in our favor when it comes to safety and sexual assault.
  • nf1982
    nf1982 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I run in a safe environment and keep aware of my surrounding. Try to enjoy your run!
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine jogging without music blaring in my ears, it's what keeps me going. I feel like we are in a fairly safe area, I'm not so much afraid of getting attacked by a person ... but I do have a hefty fear of DOGS. In my own little neighborhood, there are some people that just let their dogs run, and while I'm fairly sure they aren't going to take a bite out of me, when they come rushing at me barking and snapping at my heels, my hear-rate goes through the roof. I had to stop going past that house (which is the only way out of the neighborhood) as my anxiety was so high, even when the dogs weren't in sight. I do have a complete home gym, and I'm good working out out indoors (and watching a show while on the elliptical or treadmill). I do occationally jog elsewhere ... tonight I was going to jog around the park, but ended up jogging at the gym in the track above the basketball court where my boys were practicing. I need my music though!
  • healthyandfitgirl14
    healthyandfitgirl14 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I just run. I don't choose to live my life in fear. I don't bring my phone because it's nice to be away from it. I don't always want to be tied down to my phone. I also listen to music while I'm running because like another girl said, it really keeps me going. I don't choose to live my life in fear. I live in a safe city, and I jog in the daylight and I always see other people around. I also jog on a busy street or by a busy street so there's lots of people, but really I just run, with my i-pod and nothing else.
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I do wear white shoes and a white t-shirt when I'm out running during dusk and dawn.
  • catrinaHwechanged
    catrinaHwechanged Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I just stay aware of my surroundings. Honestly, if I thought it was that dangerous to run in my neighborhood I would find a different way to get my workout in.
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I just run. I don't choose to live my life in fear. I don't bring my phone because it's nice to be away from it. I don't always want to be tied down to my phone. I also listen to music while I'm running because like another girl said, it really keeps me going. I don't choose to live my life in fear. I live in a safe city, and I jog in the daylight and I always see other people around. I also jog on a busy street or by a busy street so there's lots of people, but really I just run, with my i-pod and nothing else.

Some of us have lived through attacks. We don't live "in fear"...we just know what's out there, for real.
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I try to stay alert of my surroundings and otherwise don't worry about it. No point living in fear.

I have the same philosophy. I stay aware of what's going on around me when I run or walk outdoors, but nothing more than that. I don't carry a phone or weapons, and I do listen to music while I run, but not at a very loud volume. I don't run outside when it's dark (more for a traffic safety point of view), but I've never felt worried for my safety or had any unsettling feelings while outside. I've always felt very secure in the places that I've lived.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I just don't do it with scissors.
  • I_Will_Be_The_Swan
    Options
    It's horrible in my neighbourhood. There are loads of creepy, seedy guys, and I'm constantly honked at, given once-overs, and people shout obscenities and catcalls at me whenever I leave the house. I keep my head up and my eyes fixed straight ahead; I don't engage. I keep my hands in fists as I run and I wear solid sneakers - soccer shoes, kicking shoes. I've taken karate and krav m'ga, so I'm pretty secure in my ability to defend myself.
  • time2change14
    Options
    It's horrible in my neighbourhood. There are loads of creepy, seedy guys, and I'm constantly honked at, given once-overs, and people shout obscenities and catcalls at me whenever I leave the house. I keep my head up and my eyes fixed straight ahead; I don't engage. I keep my hands in fists as I run and I wear solid sneakers - soccer shoes, kicking shoes. I've taken karate and krav m'ga, so I'm pretty secure in my ability to defend myself.

that's horrible. i'm sorry you have to go through that. i see you live in NYC. which part exactly, if you don't mind me asking? i lived in la bronx for 5 years and there were some really bad places
  • kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options
    It must be awful being in constant fear like that.
    I wouldn't say I'm living in fear; I'm just being cautious. I've experienced a few minor attacks already and I've avoided one on a run by going up on my friend's porch (after some catcalls that I didn't respond to, a few guys got out of their car and chased me). I don't run that route anymore and I am fairly comfortable with the route I have now; neighbors recognize me, there's a few businesses I can duck in to if need be, and the sketchiest part of it loops around a dog park (those pups have my back!).
  • LolliLouUk
    LolliLouUk Posts: 172
    Options
    I keep myself safe by not running
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I walk several trails around my home. Some are quite isolated. Been walking this area for 25 years. Come across the homeless. The occasional group of young adults having too much fun. Don't normally get hassled.

Have had the phenomenon where, as I round a trail, I might come across a person that is by themselves and get's freaked out when they realize they are in an isolated area with me. Get judged on how I look. Too bad. They either don't acknowledge me (looking the other way) or theypull their cell phone out and pretend to be talking on it.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    This isn't exactly "chit-chat, fun, and games" but let's be serious for a second. I'm very paranoid (on top of my already severe anxiety) and I run my neighborhood everyday. I don't carry pepper-spray, a gun, etc. because I personally don't feel comfortable with that. I do, however, pre-dial 911 and hold my phone my right hand, so it can be seen and all I have to do is press call if there is an emergency. When I pass strangers, I look right into their eyes and smile but I keep moving regardless of whether he/she has begun talking to me. I even know a few self-defense moves, but my question is: What do you -- male or female -- do or not do to protect yourself if you're out on a run/walk?

While this is all fine and good too... don't forget about other risks (and probably more common)... like getting run over. Please for the love of your life, wear more reflective/bright (ie White or highlighter yellow) clothing than just your shoes... particularly between sunset and sunrise. I don't how many people in my neighborhood I have almost ran over because I COULD NOT see them... some of them where saved from being nicked because of the reflective areas on their shoes.... and no, I don't speed through my neighborhood either.

edited for grammar.