Find it hard not to go over calories. Weight mostly stays the same.

Options
Hi. I've been counting calories for about a year and a half, and have lost 38.5 pounds/17.5 kg. I'm 5 feet tall and currently weigh 185 pounds/84 kg. I have a lot more weight to lose.

For a long time now my weight has barely moved because I go over my calories quite often. I changed it from 1200 per day to 1500 and I still go over. I'm not gaining the weight I lost back but I'm not losing either because I often eat almost as many calories as I burn. I exercise a fair bit but eat those calories too. I can see it clearly in the numbers - I log my food quite accurately and weigh my food, and I use a Fitbit to calculate my exercise calories. I can clearly see based on the numbers why my weight is staying the same.

I just don't know how to stop eating so much. I'm ALWAYS hungry. When I feel hungry it's almost painful, so I eat. I don't eat a lot of fast food but I eat processed food and snacks. I think snacking is my main problem. I graze a lot, and don't always eat healthy snacks. I don't eat to the point of feeling sick hardly at all, I usually feel hungry even when I go over my calories. I just don't know how to stop feeling hungry, and find it hard to sleep if I go to bed hungry.

Any advice would be great.

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Short of trying to focus more on foods that keep you fuller longer, I don't know what there is to it other than dealing with the hunger or not.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I'd say 'listen to your body' and eat something small. Sacrifice something small that you aren't going to miss from the day and eat a Banana with some yoghurt before bed. I know there are going to be some people horrified and screaming "YOU CAN'T EAT AFTER 8PM" at me but really, your body knows best. It's telling you it's hungry, so feed it - within reason. A small healthy snack before bed can really help.
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    You could try intermittent fasting. I did great losing my first 30 - very little hunger. Now, skipping breakfast and doing a 16:8 is the only way I can swing a deficit to lose this last 10.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Many people find that processed foods make them feel less full than less processed foods. Your macronutrient percentages (protein, carbohydrates, fat) can also impact how full you feel. Many people report that having protein with each meal is a key factor to feeling well-fed. Others report that certain carbohydrates make them feel full. When I began logging, I paid attention to how different foods and percentages made me feel. Many processed foods pack a lot of calories into small portion sizes. Or they lack the fiber that may help you feel full. They can be part of your weight loss, but if you build your days around foods that don't help you feel full, you may not feel very happy.

If I eat lots of vegetables, I notice I feel fuller for longer. Lots of people here practice "volume eating," that is, focusing on low calorie foods that are high in volume. When you do this, you can have big bowls of food for not a lot of calories. Example: last night I had pasta for dinner, but I had it on a bed of roasted broccoli. I had a whole bag (9 ounces) of broccoli. All the broccoli was under 100 calories, but -- mixed with a serving of pasta -- it created a huge serving of food. The fiber in the broccoli also helped me feel full all evening. Starting a meal with a big salad (make sure you count the calories in the dressing) or a broth-based soup can do the same thing -- you're filling your stomach for fewer calories.

• MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    At this point, because it seems you're well into knowing what you are doing and how to do it, it comes down to sheer willpower. Try eating foods that are heavy on the protein to keep you satiated longer but other than that, just say no.

I had to do this and for about a week, it seemed like I was always starving but that goes away and you can put yourself in a different frame of mind to get past the cravings. Now when I'm hungry it's because i'm truly hungry and I don't have to eat much to be satisfied until my next meal or snack.

Drink lots of water or low-zero calorie drinks and find something to do like a hobby. I find playing games during my free time helps distract me. I also get into doing digital designs in Photoshop, which can make time zoom past and I don't even think about food when I'm messing around with photo editing.

I recently got a treadmill and watch Netflix while getting my butt up and moving a few miles each day, which earns me some more food. :)

Willpower, hobbies and exercise are my three tools that help get me through each day and I find most days I have to add extra stuff to my meals to get the recommended calories for my day.
  • thetrickstergib
    thetrickstergib Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm feel your pain - some days I'm absolutely staving! Yet I've got only 500cals left to play with for dinner! :(

One thing I put it down to is, boredom. On days I'm super busy, I can go till past 13:00 without even thinking of food - yet some days, by 10am I'm itching to eat something (yet had my 07:30 breakfast)

Tried the normal tactics - large glass of water etc - alas I think just need to keep the brain busy!
  • mmghanna1
    mmghanna1 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your responses. I actually eat very little protein so maybe that's part of the problem. I might have a piece of chicken in my dinner and a sandwich during the day with a slice of cheese or luncheon meat (very small slice) but that's about it. Today I ate a lot and exercised a lot, and it says I met my carb macro but only half my protein one and too much fat. I don't like eggs but could look for other protein.

Apart from that I think willpower might just be it, like people have mentioned. I might just have to get used to being hungry. Right now it's almost midnight my time and I'm in bed, but I'm so hungry I have a headache. But I ate a lot so it doesn't make sense.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I don't think 'getting used to being hungry' is the answer here.

Your body is an amazing thing and it gets you through each and every day - you certainly shouldn't restrict it when it's screaming out for some fuel. If you are on a weight loss plan, it can be a little testing at times but you need to find ways to stop the hunger through the foods you currently eat. Protein will help and also - drinking water. I also would suggest eating fruit when you're feeling hungry and foods that release their energy slowly over a few hours. It's trial and error and tweaking where necessary but don't deprive.

• DeguelloTex
    Options
    Try upping the protein. Don't worry about going over with fat, as long as you meet your calorie goal. For a lot of people, protein and fat are more satisfying for longer. Greek yogurt can pretty filling and if you sweeten it yourself, you can control the calories even more. A lot of people find oatmeal -- yeah, not a protein, but still -- to keep them fuller, longer.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    mmghanna1 wrote: »
    I've been counting calories for about a year and a half, and have lost 38.5 pounds/17.5 kg. I'm 5 feet tall and currently weigh 185 pounds/84 kg.

I use a Fitbit to calculate my exercise calories. I can clearly see based on the numbers why my weight is staying the same.

1. Your Fitbit burn is TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), the calories necessary to maintain your current weight. If you follow these instructions, you'll be eating TDEE minus an appropriate deficit for your size:

Connect your accounts at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/fitbit

Set your goal to .5 lb. for every 25 lbs. you're overweight: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

Enable negative calorie adjustments: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

2. I'm less hungry when I use MFP's default protein & fiber goals as minimums, and ignore fats & carbs. I eat "good" 80% of the time, and fit yummy, portion-controlled treats into my calorie goal every day. Deprivation can lead to bingeing.

3. Congratulations on losing almost 40 lbs.—and keeping it off! You're doing better than you give yourself credit for.
  • mmghanna1
    Options
    I've always eaten when hungry since I've been counting calories, and I try to exercise to make up for eating too much. There's only so much exercise I can do though. Contrary to what I just wrote above I don't really want to sit around starving because on diets where I've done that I always gain the weight back. I am very, very slowly losing weight, but at this rate it will take years to lose substantial weight. I do want to try eating more protein even though I don't like it much. Maybe that's part of the answer, as well as maybe accepting I'm just going to lose weight slowly.

One thing I haven't mentioned is I take medication for depression, and have to take it even when I'm doing fine. I don't think the tablets have too much of an impact on my weight loss but might slow it down a little. I don't know if the tablets can make you hungry.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Many people find that processed foods make them feel less full than less processed foods. Your macronutrient percentages (protein, carbohydrates, fat) can also impact how full you feel. Many people report that having protein with each meal is a key factor to feeling well-fed. Others report that certain carbohydrates make them feel full. When I began logging, I paid attention to how different foods and percentages made me feel. Many processed foods pack a lot of calories into small portion sizes. Or they lack the fiber that may help you feel full. They can be part of your weight loss, but if you build your days around foods that don't help you feel full, you may not feel very happy.

If I eat lots of vegetables, I notice I feel fuller for longer. Lots of people here practice "volume eating," that is, focusing on low calorie foods that are high in volume. When you do this, you can have big bowls of food for not a lot of calories. Example: last night I had pasta for dinner, but I had it on a bed of roasted broccoli. I had a whole bag (9 ounces) of broccoli. All the broccoli was under 100 calories, but -- mixed with a serving of pasta -- it created a huge serving of food. The fiber in the broccoli also helped me feel full all evening. Starting a meal with a big salad (make sure you count the calories in the dressing) or a broth-based soup can do the same thing -- you're filling your stomach for fewer calories.

This. I eat very little processed food because it just does nothing for me. I'll be hungry so quickly, even if it was hundreds of calories. I feel fuller with lots of vegies, protein and fats. My go to snacks are Greek yoghurt, cottage cheese, hardboiled eggs, cherry tomatoes, berries etc. I can eat a whole Punnet of sweet cherry tomatoes and a small bowl of cottage cheese for 100 calories!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'm not sure what you eat in a day.

I tend to snack/graze during the day and then eat a small dinner in terms of calories. Yet its filling. A typical dinner for me might be wild caught salmon (lower fat than farm raised) or chicken breast, spinach salad w/ light dressing, and baked veggies. Under 300 calories easily yet a lot of food. Depending on the size of the meat serving and salad options, could be 200. While I don't try to avoid carbs (have plenty of them during the day) unless I have some sweet potato w/ dinner, I don't add a starch to dinner. Just doesn't seem necessary.

Try changing up the macro balance of your meals and/or the meal/snack timing. A little more protein/less carb per meal may have the effect you want. If you feel hungry and don't think you should be ready to eat again yet, drink some water and let 30 minutes go by. Reevaluate.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    I've always eaten when hungry since I've been counting calories, and I try to exercise to make up for eating too much. There's only so much exercise I can do though. Contrary to what I just wrote above I don't really want to sit around starving because on diets where I've done that I always gain the weight back. I am very, very slowly losing weight, but at this rate it will take years to lose substantial weight. I do want to try eating more protein even though I don't like it much. Maybe that's part of the answer, as well as maybe accepting I'm just going to lose weight slowly.
    There are all kinds of protein. Greek yogurt is nothing like steak which is nothing like lentils which are nothing like protein powder.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,931 Member
    Options

One thing I haven't mentioned is I take medication for depression, and have to take it even when I'm doing fine. I don't think the tablets have too much of an impact on my weight loss but might slow it down a little. I don't know if the tablets can make you hungry.

Antidepressants definitely have weight gain and loss side effects, probably due to how they effect the appetite. I've tried a number of them over the years and prefer Wellbutrin, as it is a little speedy, which I find useful, and has no sexual side effects. Talk to your doctor.

• mmghanna1
    Options
    I just had a slice of cheese and am no longer hungry. Normally I would have had a cookie for the same calories but it's obviously unhealthy. I'm definitely going to look into having more protein. Does sweetened low calorie yogurt count as protein?
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    I just had a slice of cheese and am no longer hungry. Normally I would have had a cookie for the same calories but it's obviously unhealthy. I'm definitely going to look into having more protein. Does sweetened low calorie yogurt count as protein?
    The cookie isn't unhealthy, but it might not be very filling.

Yes, sweetened yogurt counts as however much protein is in it. If possible, getting unsweetened yogurt and adding fruit might be even better, since you get the protein and some fiber, which can help with filling full.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,931 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your responses. I actually eat very little protein so maybe that's part of the problem. I might have a piece of chicken in my dinner and a sandwich during the day with a slice of cheese or luncheon meat (very small slice) but that's about it. Today I ate a lot and exercised a lot, and it says I met my carb macro but only half my protein one and too much fat. I don't like eggs but could look for other protein.

Apart from that I think willpower might just be it, like people have mentioned. I might just have to get used to being hungry. Right now it's almost midnight my time and I'm in bed, but I'm so hungry I have a headache. But I ate a lot so it doesn't make sense.

My snacks always contain protein. I could have 400 calories worth of popcorn and butter and still want to eat shortly afterwards cuz my body is like, "Yo, where's the protein?"

Understanding satiety: feeling full after a meal

...Tips on how to feel fuller

So how can we best try to enhance these feelings of fullness to help us control how much we eat? Here are some top tips for helping you feel fuller:
    • Foods high in protein seem to make us feel fuller than foods high in fat or carbohydrate, so including some protein at every meal should help keep you satisfied. Foods high in protein include meats such as chicken, ham or beef, fish, eggs, beans and pulses.
    • If you are watching your weight, opt for lower fat versions, using leaner cuts of meat, cutting off visible fat and avoiding the skin on poultry as this will help reduce the energy density of the diet, which can help to enhance satiety (see below).
    • Foods that are high in fibre may also enhance feelings of fullness so try to include plenty of high-fibre foods in the diet such as wholegrain bread and cereals, beans and pulses and fruit and vegetables.
    • Alcohol seems to stimulate appetite in the short-term and therefore drinking alcohol is likely to encourage us to eat more. Alcoholic beverages can make you forget about your intentions to eat healthily by making you lose your inhibitions. Alcoholic drinks are also calorific, so you should cut down on alcohol consumption if you are trying to control your weight.
    • The ‘energy density’ of food has a strong influence on feelings of fullness or satiety. Energy density is the amount of energy (or calories) per gram of food. Lower energy density foods provide less energy per gram of food so you can eat more of them without consuming too many calories. Low energy density foods include fruit and vegetables, foods with lots of water added when cooking such as soups and stews, and lower fat foods. Click here for more information on energy density.

Read more: http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html

• mmghanna1
    Options
    The cookie isn't unhealthy, but it might not be very filling.

Yes, sweetened yogurt counts as however much protein is in it. If possible, getting unsweetened yogurt and adding fruit might be even better, since you get the protein and some fiber, which can help with filling full.

Thank you :)