How thick is your skin?

Options
suziecue20
suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
When it comes to posts directed at you from other users how thick is your skin to criticism.......mine is certainly not rhino but then again its thicker than a puppy's tummy.

Replies

• ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I just realize that I can't take things personally. Forums don't have tone or body language and not everyone expresses themselves well in writing. If there is a negative and a positive way to take what someone has posted, I go for the positive side. If I'm wrong and they're being a jerk, well, that's ok too. I'm just not going to automatically assume that a post reading harshly is intended harshly. Also, I try to explain myself as well as possible, so someone can't misunderstand what I've said. One would hope readers would ask for clarification, but that's not always the case.

If someone is easily offended or easily becomes defensive based on the comments of complete strangers, maybe the Interwebz aren't the place for them.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Rhino with body armor. I don't get offended by comments, I track down the poster and get justice.
  • sakurablush
    sakurablush Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Honestly it's paper thin >.< actually not even paper thin, it's like that rice paper that even if you look at it it flakes and crumbles to pieces lol.

I'm a very shy person and have pretty bad self esteem issues. I'm ok with that as usually it means I'm unlikely to offend someone.
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Oddly I get more offended by what people say to others than what they say to me.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Rhino with body armor. I don't get offended by comments, I track down the poster and get justice.

c7txexct1bso.jpeg
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I'm quite a sensitive soul so I don't take kindly to people being abrupt with me on forums for asking what seems like a 'dumb question' to them. I've noticed a lot of harsh responses to people - especially beginners for not knowing 'simple facts' and it's infuriating to read. There was a lady not so long ago posting for advice on how to deal with hunger on juice diets.. Instead of users posting friendly advice and trying to deter her from this type of diet, they attacked her and basically insinuated that she wasn't very intelligent. EVERY ONE has started from scratch at one point and I think with knowledge and muscle mass, in some people - comes arrogance. I don't think you should have to have a thick skin on a weight loss forum. This is a very personal and sometimes very emotional journey and it should be all about support, support, support.

Some people will be on diet plans that you personally think are ridiculous but it's not your place to shoot them down. Gently advise if they are asking for advice but there are a few 'regular' posters I see here that are quite rude in their approach to questions. Of course, this is the internet so we can't determine how a comment is being directed but .. no, I don't have a thick skin when it comes to weight loss. It's stressful and it's testing at times. And sometimes I want to belong to a community that 'GETS' that.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I'll quote Stephen Fry on this

Stephen Fry
    “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *kitten* what."

That's my general starting point for comments I make and comments that are made towards me.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I'd say the ones that catch me off guard tend to be presented as, "well I was only making a comment about this phantom magical group of people that I made up just this second, you're the one who's chosen to identify with them". They legitimately don't feel they're being offensive in this case. I still don't understand it
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I have a super thick skin, I'm pretty good at taking criticism and also accepting when I am the one in the wrong. The only time I really get riled is when I'm making a point and someone is telling me I am wrong but they clearly don't understand the point I am making. Then all the rage!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I'm quite a sensitive soul so I don't take kindly to people being abrupt with me on forums for asking what seems like a 'dumb question' to them. I've noticed a lot of harsh responses to people - especially beginners for not knowing 'simple facts' and it's infuriating to read. There was a lady not so long ago posting for advice on how to deal with hunger on juice diets.. Instead of users posting friendly advice and trying to deter her from this type of diet, they attacked her and basically insinuated that she wasn't very intelligent. EVERY ONE has started from scratch at one point and I think with knowledge and muscle mass, in some people - comes arrogance. I don't think you should have to have a thick skin on a weight loss forum. This is a very personal and sometimes very emotional journey and it should be all about support, support, support.

Some people will be on diet plans that you personally think are ridiculous but it's not your place to shoot them down. Gently advise if they are asking for advice but there are a few 'regular' posters I see here that are quite rude in their approach to questions. Of course, this is the internet so we can't determine how a comment is being directed but .. no, I don't have a thick skin when it comes to weight loss. It's stressful and it's testing at times. And sometimes I want to belong to a community that 'GETS' that.

It's Friday, so is this now an official Mean People thread?
  • PinkPixiexox
    Options

It's Friday, so is this now an official Mean People thread?

Morelike a "Please don't be mean" thread! :D
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,152 Member
    Options
    Funny thing ... I've been in for various medical procedures, bloodwork, etc. over the last year, and the nurses keep telling me that I have got really thick skin.

Must be the fact that I've been on various forums for the past dozen years or so. :grin::lol:
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Could care less what others think or say to me. I don't post often and I defend people who are being attacked. If someone is going to post they have to be aware that some people will not agree with them and others will just be plain jerks. So everyone should keep that in mind when they post.
  • PinkPixiexox
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Funny thing ... I've been in for various medical procedures, bloodwork, etc. over the last year, and the nurses keep telling me that I have got really thick skin.

Must be the fact that I've been on various forums for the past dozen years or so. :grin::lol:

Hehe! :D
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Oddly I get more offended by what people say to others than what they say to me.

Yep, me too. Especially when it's obvious that someone was offended or even hurt by the comment but instead of backing off the offender just lays it on harder. What enjoyment comes from that?
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options

Yep, me too. Especially when it's obvious that someone was offended or even hurt by the comment but instead of backing off the offender just lays it on harder. What enjoyment comes from that?[/quote]

anonymity I think.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,683 Member
    Options
    Rhino with kevlar.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    When it comes to online I am pretty thick skinned. I don't care what some random stranger on the internet says to me.

But in real life, if someone close to me said something hurtful....I would probably be very upset.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    suziecue20 wrote: »

Yep, me too. Especially when it's obvious that someone was offended or even hurt by the comment but instead of backing off the offender just lays it on harder. What enjoyment comes from that?

anonymity I think.

I get why they feel comfortable doing it. But I don't think that explains the mental process behind taking pleasure in it.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    It's the internet....I don't care what people on the internet say.... Skin toughness level - KRYPTONITE.