Can I take out the sugar out of milk by boiling it?

Options
Or something? There is a new milk out (forgot the name), that says it's more processed so it removes some of the sugar. Can I just process skim milk at home? If a plant can do this, why can't I at home?
I think it's called fairfield milk. I saw a coupon for it, but it was still too expensive.

Replies

• ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Boiling removes liquid, not sugar.
  • tequila5000
    tequila5000 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    i think if you boil it you will have less water in your milk. The sugar will still be there.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    That would give you more sugar per volume, not less.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    No. Stick with skimmed or semi skimmed milk - there's no need to attempt to take sugar out. Not even sure if that's possible! If only!!!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    boiled milk curdles. I don't think you'd like it.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to remove lactose?
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Are you trying to remove lactose?

This was my thought. In which case, you'd need to add some lactase to break down the lactose.

The lactose just gets broken down to glucose and galactose though, so there'd still be just as much sugar, just in simpler forms.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    What wrong with a bit of naturally occurring sugar in milk?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    The bacteria and yeast that makes Kefir out of milk consume the lactose sugars and leave behind carbon dioxide and ethanol. You can get kefir grains and make it at home.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Fairlife milk. I have a carton sitting next to me and didn't realize it has less sugar than regular milk until I read your post. The label says "Our milk flows through soft filters to concentrate the natural goodness, like protein and calcium, and filter out the sugars." I just get it for the higher protein and the fact that it is lactose free and still tastes good.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Why on earth would you want to remove sugar from milk?
  • janiep81
    janiep81 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Lactose is a sugar... perhaps OP wants/needs to remove the lactose.
  • jemhh
    Options
    If you have a medical issue that requires a lower carbohydrate diet I can see the appeal of a lower sugar (carb) milk.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    If you have a medical issue that requires a lower carbohydrate diet I can see the appeal of a lower sugar (carb) milk.

Since there are already several alternatives on the market, it would seem OP could just buy them rather than destroying milk by boiling it.
  • keokagal
    keokagal Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    When I make homemade yogurt I incubate it for 24 hours which removes most of the lactose and makes it easier on the tummy. Easy and delicious. You cannot remove it by boiling, it's already been processed to death.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Fairlife milk. I have a carton sitting next to me and didn't realize it has less sugar than regular milk until I read your post. The label says "Our milk flows through soft filters to concentrate the natural goodness, like protein and calcium, and filter out the sugars." I just get it for the higher protein and the fact that it is lactose free and still tastes good.

Fairlife hasn't made it to the UK yet so I've just Googled it, and as it's a Coca-Cola venture I'm sure it'll be here soon. For twice the price of regular milk I can't see it's particularly worth it, but can see how the extra protein would be appealing to some.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    we dont have fairlife locally, the only lactose free cow's milk my store carries is lactaid 2%. I will definitely try it if it makes its way here though.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    janiep81 wrote: »
    Lactose is a sugar... perhaps OP wants/needs to remove the lactose.

Well, they already make lactose free milk. I'm lactose intolerant and drink it.
  • jemhh
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

Since there are already several alternatives on the market, it would seem OP could just buy them rather than destroying milk by boiling it.

Agreed. I'm not suggesting that she should make her own. I was addressing the question of why a person would want a lower sugar milk.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Now I'm curious. Lactaid has some sugar.
    nutrition_facts_label_milk.jpg

Kefir does too.
    kefir3.jpg

Compared to skim milk:
    skim-milk-nutrition-facts.jpg