Can I take out the sugar out of milk by boiling it?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited August 2015
    Here's the 2% Fairlife.

20150828_102536_zpshon92uwy.jpg
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    The fairlife product. About half the sugar. They are doing it by adding an enzyme to digest some of the sugars.
    img_0928.jpg
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    It's not that much sugar, overall. Just under 3 teaspoons. For your whole day, not going to make that much of an impact, even if you are someone who has to watch your sugar intake.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    edited August 2015
    We have lactose free milk available in the UK, can't think of the brand off the top of my head as I don't need to buy it. No need to wait for a US brand to maybe appear on the market.

Then there's the many other milk alternatives available now too. You're overcomplicating things.

Edit to add: Lactofree and I have seen it in pretty much every major supermarket.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    yeah if they carried that in my local grocery store I would try it. I am pretty happy with lactaid as is, but that looks interesting.
  • VintageFeline
    Also to add, it's £1.35 in Tesco for 1l. I pay £1 for my Yeo Valley so not a big price difference unless you're drinking gallons of the stuff.
  • mccindy72
    I can get Lactaid Whole Milk by the gallon for a little less that $6 at my local Walmart, and the half-gallons are more than $4 at the regular grocery stores. This other stuff, if it's a specialty thing, and costs more, I guess I couldn't justify that for a little less sugar.
  • melimomTARDIS
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    I can get Lactaid Whole Milk by the gallon for a little less that $6 at my local Walmart, and the half-gallons are more than $4 at the regular grocery stores. This other stuff, if it's a specialty thing, and costs more, I guess I couldn't justify that for a little less sugar.

yeah, it would have to cost the same as lactaid, or i am not interested.
  • melimomTARDIS
    edited August 2015
    MMT is not made of money
  • jemhh
    MMT is not made of money

:)

I usually get non-homogenized regular (i.e., not lactose free) milk. I am lactose intolerant but can drink that without any ill effect. When I am at a grocery store that doesn't carry it, though, I get Fairlife. I don't like the taste of Lactaid milk or the store brand versions. The Fairlife tends to be very close in price to the non-homogenized so there's no added cost for me.
  • mccindy72
    MMT is not made of money

shut+up+and+take+my+money.gif
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    We have lactose free milk available in the UK, can't think of the brand off the top of my head as I don't need to buy it. No need to wait for a US brand to maybe appear on the market.

Then there's the many other milk alternatives available now too. You're overcomplicating things.

Edit to add: Lactofree and I have seen it in pretty much every major supermarket.

It's not the same thing - the Fairlife product has a higher protein content than Lactofree/regular milk.
  • mccindy72
    jemhh wrote: »
    MMT is not made of money

:)

I usually get non-homogenized regular (i.e., not lactose free) milk. I am lactose intolerant but can drink that without any ill effect. When I am at a grocery store that doesn't carry it, though, I get Fairlife. I don't like the taste of Lactaid milk or the store brand versions. The Fairlife tends to be very close in price to the non-homogenized so there's no added cost for me.

There are different levels of lactose intolerance. I can't drink or eat anything with any milk or lactose in it at all, even if I take a Lactaid pill with it (it doesn't break it down fast enough inside me). The Lactaid milk already has the lactose broken down ahead of time, and doesn't taste any different to me than regular milk. To each their own, of course.
  • VintageFeline

It's not the same thing - the Fairlife product has a higher protein content than Lactofree/regular milk.

OP didn't mention protein, just sugar. If protein is a concern there are a million other ways to get it than through a slightly higher protein content milk.

• melimomTARDIS
    lactaid tastes has a really fresh and slightly sweet taste. Its awesome.

I have a degree of lactose intolerance that allows me to eat some types of cheese, cottage cheese, and greek yogurt.

But I struggle with kraft singles, ice cream, regular milk, and regular yogurt.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    I am lactose intolerant and had been drinking lactaid for years but switched to unsweetened almond milk. I use it in my oatmeal to add protein and its easy on the calories. Tastes great.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Hate to break it to you, @rsclause but your almond milk is not adding protein to your oatmeal.
    Comparing milks
    There's twice as much protein in the oatmeal itself.
  • mccindy72

I have a degree of lactose intolerance that allows me to eat some types of cheese, cottage cheese, and greek yogurt.

Don't know if everyone who is lactose intolerant knows this secret but.... cheese that is aged more than 30 days has no lactose in it! Lactose ages out of cheese. I love me some aged cheeses.
    Lactaide makes a great cottage cheese now which tastes really good, and I'm happy because I missed cottage cheese.
  • melimomTARDIS
    are processed cheeses not aged in that way? Because I have had trouble with processed cheeses like velveeta in the past. Which is unfortunate, because I enjoy the taste of vel.
  • jemhh

See, I don't like that sweet taste. But I love the non-homogenized milk that has cream that rises to the top because it tastes so fresh to me. My husband thinks it's disgusting and refers to it as "chunky milk," lol. To each her/his own!

Fortunately, I can take a pill for most lactose containing items that I want to eat. But there are things that I avoid entirely because the risk of a problem isn't worth it to me. Most restaurant seasonal specials that involve meat with melted cheese on top fall into that category. It seems like the menu inserts always have big pictures of those and just looking at them hurts my stomach.