Weight loss -awkward subject?

Options
124»

Replies

• gizmom19
    gizmom19 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I see where OP is coming from too. I don't really like talking about it really either. I don't mind the occasional casual compliment but I don't like it when people comment about what I choose to eat or not eat. I feel like sometimes I can't win. If I choose to not eat something I get the "poor you" can't eat that cause your trying to lose weight. If I do eat something they don't expect me to eat while trying to lose then I get the "should you be eating that" look. That is why I just don't talk ability it and hope others don't either.
  • ColinsMommaOC
    ColinsMommaOC Posts: 296 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    OP- I know just how you feel. I dislike it greatly when people bring it up, especially people that I don't particularly associate with in normal settings. I just tell them that yes I have lost weight and then either move on or change the subject. With my friends and family it is a little easier, but still I feel like, until I am ready to bring it up and share it, it should not be discussed.
    Stop calling it a diet.

di·et1
    ˈdīət/
    noun
    the kinds of food that a person, animal, or community habitually eats.

why does everyone get bent out of shape when people dont say "lifestyle change." what you consume is your "diet" by definition. When you change your diet, you change what you eat. She is eating a new diet which she is calling "this diet."
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Sounds a lot like people need to stop turning compliments into back handed insults in their head.

When someone says "you look good" it means you look good, not that you looked like a hideous monster previously.

This is actually really hard for some people. I'm one of them. Anytime some pays me a compliment, I become VERY self-conscious and think they're just being nice. I still have trouble accepting compliments from my HUSBAND, much less people I don't know well. I have no idea why this is, but I suspect there are a lot of other people with the same issue.

OP- I know just how you feel. I dislike it greatly when people bring it up, especially people that I don't particularly associate with in normal settings. I just tell them that yes I have lost weight and then either move on or change the subject. With my friends and family it is a little easier, but still I feel like, until I am ready to bring it up and share it, it should not be discussed.
    Stop calling it a diet.

di·et1
    ˈdīət/
    noun
    the kinds of food that a person, animal, or community habitually eats.

why does everyone get bent out of shape when people dont say "lifestyle change." what you consume is your "diet" by definition. When you change your diet, you change what you eat. She is eating a new diet which she is calling "this diet."

Because so many people associate 'diet' with diet plans like Atkins and South Beach and so on. Diet has come to mean a way to lose weight temporarily, not what your normal eating habits are. So calling it a 'lifestyle change' differentiates it from one of the temporary diets, and is just easier to explain to some people.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,095 Member
    Options
    adam_g85 wrote: »
    One of the reasons people ask is because they see how well you have done and they may need tips. Use your opportunity to help the people that may be struggling to achieve their goals.

I don't agree with this.

I think people comment that you have lost weight as they are trying to be nice and say something positive to you.

But 99% of the time they do not need or want tips or be struggling to achieve their own goals ( which may or may not be about weight anyway)

Just like if someone says they like my haircut, they are just saying something nice and positive to me - they do not want tips about their own hair nor are they 'struggling with their own goals'

Or if they say they like my new clothes , they are not wanting tips on fashion or struggling with their own dress style.

• Endless_Journey
    Endless_Journey Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean, I lost a lot of weight in a short space of time. Work colleagues thought I was either not well or had some type of cancer. To date I have lost 110lbs. Don't call it dieting, just say you are making healthier choices with your lifestyle.