1500 calories- did you lose eating this many?

Options

Replies

• redoself
    redoself Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    titotito48 wrote: »
    I'm 136 and losing slow at 1500 calories but that may be because I am now close to goal. I do run 3 days a week for an hour. I started at 1200 calories and 30 min. Walk/jog and built up my exercise and slowly added up to 1/2 the exercise calories. I have a hard time sticking to 1200.

• Mal909
    Mal909 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Just don't go below your bmr coz that will damage your metabolism... I did the same thing I cut short my calories to 1200 which are very less for a guy and damaged my metabolism though I fine now but calculate you bmr on bmr calculator...
    Hello all,

(31, female, SW:248)

I'm only on my 5th day here on MFP,
    and I wanted to know if any of you have lost weight eating 1500 calories?

What was your starting weight? How much have you lost? Did you have to exercise a lot?

MFP put me at 1200 calories for 2lbs a week loss, but it's too low, don't think I can do this long-term... I was hoping to increase to 1500, but wanted to hear back from you with advise/success stories....

Thank you!

• dearmrsowl
    dearmrsowl Posts: 151 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'm eating at around 1500 every day. Sometimes less, sometimes more and so far I've lost 29 pounds (5'5 tall, 184 lbs starting weight). It took me a while but I'm happy with how far I've come, especially because I never felt like I was restricting and missing out on anything. Sometimes I'll eat more, sometimes I'll eat less. I try to work out at least 3 times a week but I even lost when I skipped almost all my workouts for a couple of weeks. Try 1500 and see how it works for you. You can always go down if you don't see any results. Give yourself a couple of weeks and see how you feel. Don't forget to log accurately to make sure you are really eating the amount of calories you want to and not more or less to figure out what works best for you.
  • valeriesmith1840
    valeriesmith1840 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Yes, when I started this at 230 pounds I knew that I had to have been eating 3000+ cals a day...so I started slow figuring anything would be better. I started at 2000, then slowly over the course of a fewwweeks started eating 1400-1500 which is what I strive for now, because I know that while I might lose faster eating less, I will also get frustrated and give up a lot faster. I have lost more than 50 pounds to date. :) Slower loss can be frustrating, but it's a lot more sustainable in the long run!
  • dennislove1
    dennislove1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I started MFP at the recommended 1200 calories and for three plus weeks I stuck to the stats exercised and lost 1 pound I set myself as sedentary cause I have two office jobs. Went back after the third week set myself as mild active it bumped by calories up to 1510. I eat at just about 1510 and exercise at least 4 times a week maybe eat back half the calories and have lost 17 pounds. I think you have to adjust your calories to your body.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    yes .. infact I've always eaten 1550-1600 to lose weight my SW was 150 and i was losing about 1.5 lbs perweek
    it slowed after i got to 123lbs now iam losing like 0.8 lb perweek sometimes 1lb _exercise I did 180-220 minutes perweek and thats not alot for me.. i also walked about 160- 250 minutes perweek and still do now.. all this activity was not necessary but is what i like to do! btw iam 5'5_ (losted about 27lbs)
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    oh yea and i dont eat exercise calories back much maybe just a few days of the week theres no need for "me"to eat them back everyday_
  • Yoshirio
    Yoshirio Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    i started 5'5 and 265 pounds. I have consistently lost 2 pounds a week eating calories between 1500-1700. I do work out though and walk most nights.Though even on lazy weeks(had surgery one week),I still lost.I am now 191.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Your smart for already knowing that 1200 is likely too low. A lot of newcomers don't realize that so soon

Anyway I am 5'8 tall ,135 lbs. I lost all my weight eating between 1700-1900 . started at @212 lbs or so. ( I refused to weigh so am unsure of exact starting weight . I just go with that number )

Just remember this and you'll be fine - weight loss comes down to calories in - calories out.

To lose weight all you need to do is eat at a deficit.

In order to be sure your actually at a deficit, you should get a food scale. ( seriously use a food scale for all the foods you consume )

Don't eyeball portions, just weigh your foods with your food scale and log them here accurately. Being as accurate as possible is very important
  • tabletmfp
    tabletmfp Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm losing weight eating 1000-1200 (depending on exercise), I'd probably be maintaining on 1500. But then I'm pretty short and already at a healthy weight, and most people would lose weight eating 1500 calories.
    mrsfitzyv8 wrote: »
    I'm 5'1 and am losing on 1500
    My stats are
    SW 180lbs
    CW 156lbs

I'm losing faster and more regularly since may when I started logging properly.
    Best investment ever? Food scales

Yes I loose about half or 1 kilo pw with 1500 calories p day , but only cos I fast 3 days a week! But then I am 54 and I hate exercise! A younger more active woman might loose weight with 1500 per day every day!
  • thebobogrind
    thebobogrind Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Thank you all, I'm beginning to feel more confident about this journey. My 1st week weigh-in is this coming Tuesday, and I'm hoping for a 1.5-2lb loss. I'll keep you all posted! :)
    I love reading about all these success stories!!!
  • OsricTheKnight
    OsricTheKnight Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    If you're only weighing once per week, I would only look for progress as the average of maybe 2 or 3 weeks worth of weigh ins. On any given day your weight could easily be up 2-3 lbs just due to water, it doesn't mean you're not losing.

Osric
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    1500 is my sweet spot. I can lose on it now that I'm thin and most definitely could lose on it when I was overweight.
  • mfm143
    mfm143 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have been on 1575 c/d for about 2 mo now and have lost close to 10 lbs - I average about 1.3lbs per week - I think if I ate any less it would be counterproductive -I lift 3x/wk and do HIIT 2x/wk - I too felt my weight loss was really slow as others mentioned but I realize that I am right on track - slow and steady wins the race ;)
  • Firefly0606
    Firefly0606 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Yes you can. I aim for 1500 a day. I have lost 7.5kg (16.5lbs) since mid-June.

That includes having a few weekends in there where I ate everything in the house. The house itself is lucky to have survived.

I work a very sedentary desk job. In regards to exercise I started karate classes and training for 1.5hours once and sometimes twice per week. As the weather warms up a little more I will walk the dog before work as well.

MFP started me on 1200 as well. It didn't take me long to realise that it was too low for me. Sure, I'd lose weight faster, but someone would cross my path and surely die. Better to set my calories at a level where I am not HANGRY all the time, lose weight a little more slowly. At this rate I'm on track to be 17kg lighter than my starting weight by Christmas - and that is a number I am happy with.
  • jodybo2
    jodybo2 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    MFP gave me 1200 and I just could not do it! I am 5'2" and 121, highest weight was 194. I lost the past 15 pounds averaging around 1700. I use the TDEE method, and do not count exercise calories because I found that mfp's exercise calories are exaggerated. I lift weights twice a week and walk a couple of miles a day. Be sure to eat lots of protein because muscle loss sucks!
  • mirki002
    mirki002 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If you plug your stats (current weight, height, age, etc.) into MFP and set your goal to "maintain my current weight", it will give you a daily # of calories at which your weight would stay the same. If you eat fewer calories than that #, you will lose weight (if you are logging accurately). I am guessing that you could eat more than 1,500 and still lose weight, although I don't know your height or other stats. If you don't feel 1,200 is enough, eat more and don't wear yourself down. Also exercise is a great way to earn more calories for your day. Good luck :-)
  • Jilliankosto
    Jilliankosto Posts: 216 Member
    Options

[/quote]
    Change your setting to 1lb or 1/2 lb per week then you will get a higher calorie allowance.

In answer to your question, I lost on 1460 calories ( so slightly under 1500)
    My starting weight was 72 kg and I lost the 10 kg that I wanted to lose.
    No I didn't exercise a lot
    [/quote]

This is what i am eating at, 1460. I am going back and forth on the scale. Can I ask your height and SW? Thanks!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Never eaten less than 1650 (total). I'm 3 pounds from my goal weight.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    You'd be fine at 1500 I'm sure.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!