Anyone else doing this completely alone?

Options
I am recently divorced, live alone, and none of my friends are currently in any kind of weight loss program. I sometimes share my successes with them, but don't want to bore them with details. I am really grateful for this discussion board because I get great feedback and support. So...thank you!!

Replies

• Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    As far as family I'm completely alone but I've got a lot of friends here on MFP and they ROCK!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I don't feel alone here on MFP either!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I've had a few people say they were going to start losing because if I can do it, they can, too. They ask a bazillion questions, which I answer. Then they decide to eat like 500 or 800 calories a day, which they do for a day or two or three. Then they're off the diet. Every. Single. Time.

They're just crash dieting. They don't really want to lose weight.

So, yup! Just me. That I know, anyway.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Yep!

I think that it is actually a lot easier alone.
  • Terri70
    Terri70 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I have my daughter and son, but they rarely say anything about me dieting, so in essence, I'm alone too. I can't wait to feel better about myself. That's one of the things I'm working on. Good luck to every one!
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Yes, just me. I only have limited support at MFP also because I'm not a calorie counter. I've tried many times to do it that way, and A) I don't have enough of an accountant mentality to find any joy in CI/CO; it's a gigantic chore for me. B) logging makes me think about food all day long - what can I have? how many calories do I have left? Oh no, I want to eat now, what if I run out of calories?

What works for me is to keep myself as busy as possible with other things until I'm undeniably hungry, then I eat a reasonable portion of what I want (like a homemade bacon cheeseburger on whole grain bread with tomato slices last night), then go back to doing other things (including exercising because it makes me feel good). That's my entire weight loss strategy - wait until I'm hungry and don't stuff myself. I've been losing 1-2 pounds per week this way, total of 21 as of today, so I think I'm doing all right.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I do not have family that are eating for better health yet. Pain management research is what lead to my change of eating lifestyle. What others do is 100% their business as long as they do not die and fall on me. :)

What Kalikel posted is what I see most people doing that I know. In fact I did it for 40 years. Yes it seems dumb now but I did not know better at the time.

If I had not been staring cancer and other health risk associated with Enbrel in the face because the doctors wanted me to start taking it for pain management I am not sure I would have ever changed my eating lifestyle.

People do not lose weight and keep it off just for looks very often. We need a core and logical reason based on my experience.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I think it's much easier to do this alone. I focus on myself, what I want to eat, plan out my days and generally don't have the complication of eating the way I choose in the company of others who eat differently or might derail me. My BF is supportive; we batch cook together and eat out on the weekends, but during the week, I find it much easier to plan, pre-log, and eat according to my own needs. I have plenty of support from family and friends to be healthy.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    You'll always find support here :)
    Good luck
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I don't know anyone else who's trying to lose weight. My husband has been doing half-***ed attempts but he's not really trying, and obviously my kids are not.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily prefer to do any of this alone but I don't mind, doing the nutritional route alone; just the exercising. I wish I had someone to exercise with.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm doing this alone. I like it that way. I can go at my own pace and bliss out on endorphins. I've tried exercising with other people, and I can't get into my blissful zone, or just enjoy the sounds of nature, when people are talking.
  • scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much doing this on my own but that's my preference as it means I can focus on me. Otherwise it's easy to get roped into a exercise session with a group of friends when I'd rather go on a run or lift some weights. I cook so husband gets the nutritional benefits of my meticulous meal planning.
  • Chris__SC
    Chris__SC Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I live with a junk food junkie. I'm doing this alone but don't mind because it's for me.
  • Chris__SC
    Chris__SC Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    But here we're all in it together

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    I did it on my own, OH works away a lot.

Saw a pic of myself I didn't like, counted calories, threw in a bit if exercise, and voila; a sustainably thinner, slimmer, fitter me.
    No health problems involved; pure vanity and continued functional fittness.

OH, when I was 3 years into maintenance, got curious, followed suit, and is now a stronger, leaner version of his former healthy, but slightly overweight self.

It took me a while to share what I was doing with other people as I looked upon it as my own private adventure.

Cheers, h.

As a silly aside, even though I have been a member of MFP since 2010, I was so intent on calorie counting, I didn't find the forum until last year. 5 years into maintenance. B)
  • foreverslim1111
    foreverslim1111 Posts: 2,617 Member
    Options
    Yes I'm doing this alone, but my husband is very supportive and does things that help me stick to it.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    none of my family and friends are trying to lose weight. i do get a lot of comments about how well i am doing from them though.

• myname20
    myname20 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am kind of alone into weight loss too. Not sure if it is easier or harder, depends on your personality. But if you want to talk with someone someday, feel free to message me, I can listen ;)