September 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @7lenny7 @JoRocka Thank you so much. Your responses make a lot of sense. It seems I am ready to increase the number of runs per week, but will take the advice and do that slowly!

and @Jennifer8348683 that is a beautiful picture. i tried to take a similar picture a couple of days ago, but my iPhone picture did not turn out as well :(
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @snha just to piggy back on what lenny and jo said (and I do agree with them), sometimes you just need to listen to your body. I usually rest on Wednesdays and now that cross country season has begun I might be taking off Saturdays as well (or I might run the course before the meet). Anyway, if on Monday I feel my legs are really tired and I just don't feel like I can run on Tuesday I take that day off and shift my rest day. A lot really depends on how I feel. I don't follow a formal training plan, even though I'm training for a half in November, I go out with a kinda goal in my head and see how I feel. I do agree 100% with lenny on taking it slow when adding mileage, nothing will cause injury faster then adding too much too fast.

@stoshew71 nice pix of the group.

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    snha wrote: »
    I am so happy I joined these challenges. This group is awesome and watching your amazing results (and the good spirit behind them) definitely pushes me forward.

Newbie Question: I see many of you run daily and sometimes even twice in a day. I always thought I should alternate by running one day and resting the next. Do I (does the body) need a rest day after each day of running? From the patterns here, it seems many of you take one day of rest a week, but not every other day. Any words of wisdom?

@snha

When I first started, I was running only 3 or 4x a week taking rest days in between as you say.
    As I improved and got stronger and added more mileage slowly, I was able to physically handle the challenge.
    Eventually, once I got into marathon training and had to increase my mileage, I learned that if I wanted to even further increase my mileage, I had to run pretty much almost every day. I now run 6x a week and do a complete rest on Sunday.

However not every day is a hard run. My hard speedier workouts are still only Tue and Thursday. Saturday is my long run. That is 3 quality workouts for the week. In between I add in slower easier running. Monday is kind of easy but I do run 10 miles on some hills but I make sure that it is at an easy pace if i want to continue in the week. But Wed and Fri are my very easy days. I run at what is called a recovery pace (very slow for me) and no hills and only 6-6.5 miles. But it takes time to build up to that level.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    No running yet this month as to quote @ruqayyahsmum its been peeing Buckets and also really cold - not a good condition for a trail run - too muddy and slip sliding has no appeal.

oddly enough slip sliding doesnt appeal to me much either :)

• snha
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom @Stoshew71 Excellent advice! Thank you!

@Stoshew71 nice picture, but very incomplete with no Badgers in sight :)
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    snha wrote: »
    @skippygirlsmom @Stoshew71 Excellent advice! Thank you!

@Stoshew71 nice picture, but very incomplete with no Badgers in sight :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx6TBrfCW54
  • baldielove13
    baldielove13 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Hey guys. I almost reached my goal of 130 last month, but I got hurt. I'll get back to running this weekend, and I'll shoot for 75. 100 if I'm feeling ambitious. Take care.
  • snha
    Options
    @Stoshew71 Ha, that's funny. I was not aware of this one somehow.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Lol... I just love to run... And fun a lot :) .. I did 400+ miles last month. Running a 50k next week and my dumb *kitten* haven't started tapering yet. I tried to stop running this morning but my legs wouldn't stop until it hit 13.2!!! Whoohhoo!! I'll try and taper when I pace my friend to her first BQ in November but I probably won't taper for Boston... I need help! Im a runaholic... Don't come here much since I'm probably running... *sigh*
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Zekela wrote: »
    Lol... I just love to run... And fun a lot :) .. I did 400+ miles last month. Running a 50k next week and my dumb *kitten* haven't started tapering yet. I tried to stop running this morning but my legs wouldn't stop until it hit 13.2!!! Whoohhoo!! I'll try and taper when I pace my friend to her first BQ in November but I probably won't taper for Boston... I need help! Im a runaholic... Don't come here much since I'm probably running... *sigh*

Or was it 13.1... I think it was 13.17 or something like that... Not quit .2
  • estepicursor
    estepicursor Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I only made 36 of my 40 mile goal last month (stupid foot)...so I'll shoot for 40 miles again.
    9/2--3 miles
  • Stoshew71
    Options

Hi. My name is Stan (hello Stan) ....and I love to run.
  • kstarallen
    kstarallen Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    9/3 --- 2.80mi
    Hot and humid again. But we made it. Walking only today.
  • Chon158
    Chon158 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm in for 50 miles...
  • BanksySJ11
    BanksySJ11 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Another 3 miles this morning total at 6 mtd.
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options

LOL I love the bolded quote LOL
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Well, I guess I've become a statistic. I was hit by a car on my run this morning (more-or-less side-swiped, I guess).

I saw him coming, and moved closer to the white line edge of the road. I saw him NOT moving aside, so I tried to move into the grass, but his sideview mirror clipped my right shoulder, and I tumbled into the grass/ditch. I'm pretty sure I didn't hear any vehicles coming toward him (preventing him from moving over), and I didn't see any lightwash, either.

He did stop (eventually), and the police came to make a report. I was transported to hospital for checkup, and no broken/fractured bones, just soft tissue inflamation. I was indeed wearing my RoadID LED wrist light, and my NoxGear Tracer360, and given my general level of pale-white-skin-ness, those 2 items plus my white legs and chest give him no real excuse for not seeing me.

I'm REALLY not posting to get sympathy - just to remind everyone about being careful, and realizing that you can do everything right and still have problems.

On the bright side: @Stoshew71 - I was taking your advice about slowing the pace, and got in a lot more running than walking this morning. At least until I was so rudely interrupted.

I'm more pissed than hurt right now (tho I know I'll be a sore sore man for the next several days). 1) I was doing so well with improving my run. 2) My wife is gonna be that much more trepidatious about my running from now on. 3) I was planning on doing my first official 10K race on Monday (Macon Labor Day Road Race). Dadgum it!

On the 10K, I guess we'll see what Sunday holds. Rest Day tomorrow, maybe a light mile or so Saturday, and then we'll see. I'm pretty much resigned to not feeling up to it, though. Prob go on and cheer, and get my shirt anyway.
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Finally got an old running buddy to join me here in Florida for some early morning runs. He's working his way back into the sport, so we've been doing 0.5 run/0.5 walk for a few miles, then I've been going out on my own later to hit my daily goals.

9/1 - 5 easy miles
    9/2 - 1.5 run (3 walk/run split) + 4.5 run
    9/3 - 1.5 run (3 walk/run split) + 4 run

Total: 16.5 miles
    Goal: 150 miles, 5 speedwork sessions
    Remaining: 133.5 miles, 5 speedwork sessions
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    @9voice9 I'm so glad you are basically okay, that must have been scary when you realized he wasn't going to miss you. Thank goodness it wasn't worse. WTH is wrong with people. What did he say?
  • snha
    Options
    @9voice9 So sorry about the accident, can't be fun. Speedy recovery!