September 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    snha wrote: »
    Comments on preparing for a 5k race on Sunday are welcome. I saw a website that seems really good suggesting I rest on Friday and do little comfortable short running on Saturday--just to keep myself flexible! Anything else I should pay attention to?

Great advice by @Stoshew71. I'll add some tidbits from my experience.

I read to make sure that you are well hydrated in the days leading up to the race. That lead me to drink more than normal, particularly the night before, and I woke up twice the night before to pee and during the race, I felt like I had a full bladder. Takeaway: Drink your normal amount.

I read that you should eat something in the morning to fuel your race, at least 90 minutes prior. I ate a banana and a half bagel and it felt like a weight in my gut at race time. Takeaway: Eat your normal amount, which for me is now one slice of whole wheat bread with jam and/or peanut butter. I wouldn't do anything special to "fuel" for this race.

I read that you shouldn't get caught up in the initial rush of the starting line, and to line up with others you think will pace the same. I looked at the results year prior and thinking I'd up in the middle of the pack, I lined up in the middle of the pack. I ended up getting caught up in the rush and came out too fast. Takeaway: Lineup BEHIND the pack you think you'll finish with, if not further. If the race is chip timed, it doesn't matter when you cross the finish line. In my next race I lined up just ahead of the strollers and obvious walkers. I then sauntered my way to the starting line, which helped to calm me down. It was a bit crowded on the course at first, but I was passing people rather than them passing me, which was a psychological boost.

Looking at your mileage this month, and how the distances have been increasing, a 5K will be no problem for you!

In my first two intentional 5K's I warmed up by doing a quarter mile of brisk walking out, then a quarter mile slow run back. That seemed to work well for me, but you'll have to see what works for you. Any warm up you do now before running you should do for your race.

I also have a 5K on Saturday. I've run enough now that I know that my first 1/2 to 3/4 mile of running feels like a slog and I don't really get into the groove until a mile in. I plan, therefore, on walking the 2 miles from my house to the race, then do a slow run for another 1/2 mile just before the race (with about a 5 minute rest time in between) to get my muscles warmed up, the blood flowing and the body ready. If you're longest run has been 5.25 miles, I wouldn't warm up with a run that long because you don't want to push the envelope on your stamina

Perhaps the best advise Stan gives is "just go out and enjoy the race". That's really all that matters. And yes, do thank all of the volunteers.

And if you drink beer, having a celebratory beer in a cooler at the finish is a nice touch.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Garmin tells me that the route I planned today -- which I thought would be some fun rolling hills -- was actually 1027 feet elevation gain (and 1056 lost, so yay net downhill!). If that's not an error with my data, then holy moly, I found all the moutains of Princeton! ;) Got another 6.4 or so this evening with my running group before a pizza & beer night with my department, so guess who is going to eat EVERYTHING?

SPILL THE SECRETS!!!! I've been either hitting washington crossing or the alexander canal path and running flat for 3/4 of the run- then running a mile out (turn right up to the station) and then run back to the car- it's like running hills. it's like hills. LOL
    My wife Jennifer is from Bergen county. She went to HS in Hackensack.
    Who wants a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
    It seems such a waste of time, if that's what's it all about. Mama if that's moving up, then I am moving out.

I was from Union County, Rahway to be exact. And not where the prison is. That happens to be in Avenel next door. Just because they got their mail through our post office in the day, we get known for the prison.

Then we moved to Eatontown and then Brick down the shore. Although, once you already live at the Shore, you go to the beach. Only Benies go to the Shore. ;-)

NJ is so expensive because everyone is out to get ya. You know some people in this country have no idea what a toll plaza on the Parkway is? yet everyone in NJ is accustomed to having to hand a guy a dollar for every 20 miles they have to drive on the highway.
    aw- my favorite place to eat was in Hackensack- I go up that way (haworth/garfield area) once a month or so to visit him- I like it- it's nice to run up there. It's just really pretty and - well expensive looking- all the houses are works of art.
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Just got off the cruise ship and the ground is still moving. Managed to keep my weight relatively level via 12 miles on the treadmill, 10 miles of walking on the track, a spin class, some biking, lots of scuba, and some lifting.

I also got to test out my new watch's (Forerunner 225) indoor treadmill functionality and it was surprisingly accurate and it guessed my speed as being within about 40 sec/mile of my actual pace. Specifically I did a 4 mile tempo run, and the actual/guessed splits for my 4 miles (without any GPS help - only cadence/arm movement data) were: Mile 1 - 10:52/10:30, 2 - 8:00/8:10, 3 - 6:00/6:40, 4 - 10/9:30.

9/1 - 5 easy miles
    9/2 - 6 miles total (1.5 run + 4.5 run)
    9/3 - 11 miles total (1.5 run + 4 run + 5.5 run)
    9/6 - 6 miles
    9/7 - 5.5 miles
    9/9 - 5 miles
    9/10 - 8 miles
    9/11 - 8 miles
    9/12 - 4 miles (7 x 1/3 mile repeats w. 2 minute recovery jog at 6 min/mile pace)
    9/13 - 12 miles
    9/14 - 8 miles
    9/16 - 9.5 miles
    9/17 - 7 miles
    9/18 - 5 miles
    9/20 - 4 miles
    9/21 - 4 miles (tempo run watch test)
    9/23 - 4 miles

Total: 112 miles, 2 speedwork session
    Goal: 150 miles, 5 speedwork sessions
    Remaining: 38 miles, 3 speedwork sessions
  • snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 thanks much for the pointers. One question: I do think I run better if I run the day before, so, do you suggest I take Friday as a rest day, do a shakeup run on Saturday, and start warming up ten or fifteen minutes before racing on Sunday? *some more info: I did 5k for the first time three years ago and did really well, 24:29. went on a hiatus because of life for three years and got back into running 2.5 months ago. now my pace is way off compared to three years ago, it's about 29 minutes :(, but am fine with that*
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 thanks much for the pointers. One question: I do think I run better if I run the day before, so, do you suggest I take Friday as a rest day, do a shakeup run on Saturday, and start warming up ten or fifteen minutes before racing on Sunday? *some more info: I did 5k for the first time three years ago and did really well, 24:29. went on a hiatus because of life for three years and got back into running 2.5 months ago. now my pace is way off compared to three years ago, it's about 29 minutes :(, but am fine with that*

That sounds like a good plan. Good luck at your race. Let us know how you did.

• Stoshew71
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

aw- my favorite place to eat was in Hackensack- I go up that way (haworth/garfield area) once a month or so to visit him- I like it- it's nice to run up there. It's just really pretty and - well expensive looking- all the houses are works of art.

What place is this? I am very familuar with the area you are talking about.

• AngieFlames
    AngieFlames Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

Sept 24 - active rest day 1.72 miles during my lunch
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Comments on preparing for a 5k race on Sunday are welcome. I saw a website that seems really good suggesting I rest on Friday and do little comfortable short running on Saturday--just to keep myself flexible! Anything else I should pay attention to?

"I saw a website that seems really good suggesting I rest on Friday and do little comfortable short running on Saturday"

^^^^ this is very dependent on the type of runner you are and how your training went. Some people do better with a shakeout run the day before. It really depends. Have you ever taken 2 days off from running before? How did you feel when you returned? Do you feel you do better with one day rest or no?

What are your expectations from this race? PR or is this your first 5K? If it's your first, just go out there and enjoy the experience.

Do not get caught up by the crowd and other runners. Know what your pace is and stick with it. Do not go out too fast even if others around you are.

Line up with the same people that expect to finish about the same time as you. Do not line up towards the front if you are not expecting to finish it very fast or take walk breaks. Line up towards the back then.

Thank all the race volunteers. Without them, the race could not happen.

Also, check this link out:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/279198/running-tip-so-you-are-about-to-do-your-first-race/p1

What he ^^ said. My first 5K I stayed out way too late doing the polka the night before, it wasn't pretty the next day LOL. Bolded seems to be the biggest mistake most first time racers do.

I personally don't run the day before a race, I will walk the dog but not run. I didn't go to the link Stoshew71 posted but keep these in mind:

1. don't eat, drink, wear anything that you haven't eaten, drank or wore in training
    2. get a good night's rest
    3. hydrate hydrate hydrate if it's going to be hot
    4. lay out all your stuff the night before, shorts, shirt, undies, socks, shoes, watch, hat, number, etc so you are not looking for it all in the morning
    5. if you don't usually run fasted today is not the day to try it, eat what you normally eat before you run
    6. I like to drive the course before I run it (or run it if I can) so I have an idea of where I'm going. I hate not knowing what comes next
    7. In the morning I'll need to use the ladies room 100 times before the start, give yourself time for that. If it's race with lots of folks give yourself extra time to stand in the porta potty lines :wink:
    8. Don't come to a complete stop at the water stations if you want to stop move to the side first. Same if during the race you need to stop, move to the side so you don't get run over
    9. Again like he ^^ said enjoy the experience, thank people, talk to people before and after the race. Runners are the most awesome folks.
  • snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 thanks for the advice. excellent set of recommendations. And, re beer, it's actually supplied for free for the runners :) I don't even have to bring one from home!
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    @7lenny7 thanks for the advice. excellent set of recommendations. And, re beer, it's actually supplied for free for the runners :) I don't even have to bring one from home!

I need to run this race. :-)
  • kstarallen
    kstarallen Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Revision - 9/24 -- 6.28mi
    Did a long walk this am and another one this afternoon with sis in law and the pups
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    How do I get into this race? ;)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Chiporano's- it burned down in April I think :( was one of those rodizio type steak houses- but they were Argentinian- not Brazillian- nicest people- we keep waiting for it to reopen somewhere else - but it hasn't. <crycrycry?
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 thanks for the advice. excellent set of recommendations. And, re beer, it's actually supplied for free for the runners :)I don't even have to bring one from home!

You have chosen your race wisely, my friend.

• rogue024
    rogue024 Posts: 1,484 Member
    Options
    September goal: 35 miles

9/1 - 3.1 miles
    9/2 - strength day
    9/3 - 2 miles
    9/4 - strength day
    9/5 - 4 miles
    9/6 - hiking (2.5 hours)
    9/7 - 3 miles
    9/8 - unscheduled day off
    9/9 - 2 miles + strength
    9/10 - 2 miles + strength
    9/11 - rest
    9/12 - 2 miles + strength
    9/13 - 2 miles
    9/14 - 3 miles
    9/15 - rest
    9/16 - 2 miles
    9/17 - strength day
    9/18 -rest
    9/19 - 2 miles + strength
    9/22 - 3.1 miles
    9/23 - 2.1 miles
    9/24 - 2 miles

September: 34.3 of 35 miles completed

If I had known how close I was to my goal, I would have pushed on through. Argh.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    9/1 Strength training and elliptical
    9/2 6.5 miles (6 at 11:29 and .5 at 15:00) on the treadmill
    9/3 4.5 miles at 11:59 on the treadmill
    9/4 3 miles at 11:00 on the treadmill and strength training
    9/5 Rest Day

9/6 5 miles-nice trail run with 4 at 11:35(ish) and 1 walking
    9/7 1.5 miles at 12:00 with my 10 year old.
    9/8 1.5 miles super-slow walking on the treadmill on max incline plus strength training
    9/9 7.75 miles on my local park trail at 12:33
    9/10 3.25 walking the doggy for my rest day
    9/11 3.00 at 11:30 on the treadmill and strength training
    9/12 Rest

9/13 Rest
    9/14 4.5 at 12:30 on my park trail.
    9/15 3.25 at 10:46 on the treadmill and strength training
    9/16 2.75 at 11:17 on the treadmill (short run, since I had to go to a meeting)
    9/17 7.5 at 12:20 on the park trail
    9/18 3.25 @ 11:25 on the treadmill, plus strength training
    9/19 Rest

9/20 4.25 at 12:00 through the neighborhood
    9/21 3.25 at 11:32 on the treadmill
    9/22 3.5 at 11:50 on the treadmill, plus strength training
    9/23 "rest day" 5 miles dragging recalcitrant dog around the lake at Nana's pace of 2.5 mph for two hours. I'm counting it because I wore my running shoes, lol!
    9/24 3.25 at 11:50 average--but really hilariously, I had my fastest outdoor mile for the first one at 10:42. Then my aunt called me and wanted to talk about *Christmas*. If I wasn't concerned about her health I wouldn't have answered. So anyway, that mile was slow. Really slow. Then I got back up to 11:01. :)

Tomorrow is strength training and...something. I haven't decided yet. I have my first timed 10K on Saturday. All the advice to @snha has been helpful.

Goal: 75 miles

exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    edited September 2015
    Options

9. Again like he ^^ said enjoy the experience, thank people, talk to people before and after the race. Runners are the most awesome folks.

This is also a great time to find out what running groups are in the area (if they exist).
    I know many of you complain that you have no one to run with during training.
    Signing up for a race is the best way to see who runs in your local area. Pay attention to who the sponsors are and find out who the race director is. They probably know more about your running community than anyone else.

Need to know where a good running store is locally? Who are the best doctors that can diagnose those shin splints? These people would know.

During the race, don't feel intimated to chat it up with someone that looks like they are going your pace. As she ^^ said, runners are the most awesome folks, and we all could use the encouragement.

Have you been following a runner for that first 2 miles then see them struggle on that last mile as you approach them, give them a "hey you can finish this out". Talk each other into the finish. You may even find your next training buddy.

And especially after the race, talk to many people. Get to know them. If you sign up for a bunch of local races, you will begin to notice some familuar faces.

Also, find out if there is an Expo for your race (the bigger ones do). Great place to get to know the running community and those that support running in the area. You also get great deals on running shoes and other items at Expos.

• Stoshew71
    Options

Chiporano's- it burned down in April I think :( was one of those rodizio type steak houses- but they were Argentinian- not Brazillian- nicest people- we keep waiting for it to reopen somewhere else - but it hasn't. <crycrycry?

I have to ask my wife about that one.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    9/1: Rest
    9/2: 7 miles
    9/3: 8 miles am and 6 miles pm with the Thursday crew
    9/4: 6 miles
    9/5: Rest
    9/6: Brunch and walking around museums > running 6 miles in a new town
    9/7: 18 miles
    9/8: Rest
    9/9: 10 miles
    9/10: 7 miles speedwork am, 6.4 miles pm with Thursday crew
    9/11: Rest
    9/12: 5 mile race (set new 5 mile and 5k PRs!)
    9/13: 12.3 miles
    9/14: 5 miles
    9/15: Rest
    9/16: 7 miles
    9/17: 8.2 miles am & 7.4 miles pm with Thursday crew
    9/18: Rest
    9/19: 6 miles
    9/20: 20 miles
    9/21: 5 miles
    9/22: XT-12 miles stationary bike
    9/23: 7 miles speedwork
    9/24: 10.2 miles am, 6.5 miles pm

Did a 5k to start my afternoon run and got an unofficial PR! Dropped from 23:21 to 22:49! Feelin' good, feelin' good! Then did a really easy, social, not-pushing-the-pace-at-all 3.4 mile loop before heading off to meet my grad student group for late dinner. Great running day, great food day, and now I am 110% ready to sleep in tomorrow.

168/200

exercise.png
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Garmin tells me that the route I planned today -- which I thought would be some fun rolling hills -- was actually 1027 feet elevation gain (and 1056 lost, so yay net downhill!). If that's not an error with my data, then holy moly, I found all the moutains of Princeton! ;) Got another 6.4 or so this evening with my running group before a pizza & beer night with my department, so guess who is going to eat EVERYTHING?

SPILL THE SECRETS!!!! I've been either hitting washington crossing or the alexander canal path and running flat for 3/4 of the run- then running a mile out (turn right up to the station) and then run back to the car- it's like running hills. it's like hills. LOL

Lol, I ran up Harrison (which sprouts off the canal path past Alexander), up Bunn and then down Mt Lucas road. I am pretty certain the data is just wrong; there's no way there was more elevation gain on my 10 miler than on Sunday's 20, and I run those roads all the time (usually not those two together though) and get an elevation gain of maybe 300-350 feet. But there are some pretty good hills in Princeton if you look for them! I've become a glutton for punishment and have started seeking them out ;)